1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homemade DVDs - Analog vs. Digital?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by johnl1961, Feb 20, 2009.

1. johnl1961

johnl1961 Member

I recently created a slideshow (just pics and audio) for a friend using Windows Moviemaker and DVD Architect.
    I can play it on my DVD player but he can't on his (same player). His 'technician' told me that his DVD player was set up for digital only and that the DVD must have been recorded in analog.
    To be honest, I don't know.
    If this is true, is there a way of recording in digital either when I prepare the file in Moviemaker or burn it in DVD Architect.

P.S. I'm pretty new at this. In the midst of learning how to use Vegas. Any other software solution suggestions?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Oh deary, deary me.
    And Lawks.
    That "technician" (and I completely understand why you put that in quotation marks) has not got a clue what he is talking about - all DVD are digital of course.
    There is nothing wrong with your workflow at all. The tools you have used are perfectly adequate for what you did, and you have done nothing wrong at all.
    The most likely cause of trouble is that the disc you used is not supported by your friends player - some will read DVD-R, some will read DVD+R, most will read both but a very few will not read either type (no players are actually required to play any written discs at all).
    The only other possible source of trouble could be the brand of media - again, this varies from player to player, but some players are extremely picky about what they will & will not play.
    As you are able to play the disc, and as Sony's DVD Architect is a perfectly capable piece of software used by thousands of people daily, there is nothing wrong with the disc.

Solutions?
    1 - Your friend needs either a new DVD player, or a firmware update for the existing one (if available)
    2 - Try using a different disc type. If you wrote to DVD-R, try DVD+R instead and vice-versa.

Good Luck. (And with a "technician" like that, you will need it sir!!)

3. johnl1961

johnl1961 Member

Thanks a ton Wilkes.

What a terrific response! (particulary in terminology that I can completely understand.)
    I had a feeling that the technician was off-base.

I'll try the suggestions you offered.

Thanks again.

John.