1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hooking pc to tv monitor

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by yamumma, May 26, 2006.

1. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

i was wondering can i get my tv witch is right next to my computer and use it as a monitor so i can watch movies on the tv
    i have a tv tuner card if is helps thanks ;)

2. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Yes,providing your video card supports it.What video card do you have.

3. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

I have a:

ASUS TV7134 WDM Video Cature
    (Loction - PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 2, device 1, Function 0)

ASUS WMD TV/FM Tuner
    (Loction - On ASUS TV7134 WDM Video Capture)

I don't even know how to work my video card to veiw tv and stuff
    it came with my computer as a package.

Thankz

4. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

I can't find any info on it,whats the make and model of your computer?

5. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

Hey Thankz for takeing the trouble to research on it!!

It has a S-Video Port and a anettna in and out port

i think i should use the s-video port

i am right??

6. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

If you've got s-video out try using that then you should be able to set up in display>settings.

7. neddy121

neddy121 Guest

hey, umm i got a laptop and have tried to plug it into my new lcd tv, but all i get is the wallpaper off the desktop, any help?

8. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

OMG I was soooo stupid i got a 5m s-video cable to connect to my tv and found out my tv does not have s-video input and my dvd/vhs combo only has s-video output.

I have a normal monitor port, s-video port and a circular port which looking like the ones with three pluged wires (red, white, and yellow).

How can i use the circular port thingy??

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  9. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

The wires that go into the circular port look like this:
    [​IMG]

10. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

@neddy121
    using which port??

11. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

you cannot use your tv card for what you want to do

tv cards = tv in

you want a card that puts video out

you need a video card with video out

the card will have your monitor connection on it and it will have either a svideo or rca out port on the card

both ati and nvidia make cards that do this

12. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

as for your problem neddy of only seeing the wall paper, you need to go into your video settings and set the lcd monitor as the primary display

13. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

ok i got it workin,
    i manged to connect the yellow from computer (out) and connect to the dvd/vhs combo (in).

i have two problems:

1-its pretty blurry on the tv but i can watch video clips good, but not text.

2-and the other problem is that the size of the screen is to big and i don't know how to make it smaller screen so everything fits good on the tv.

14. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

text will always be blurry unless you have a high end tv that the computer hooks up either dvi or rgb NATIVELY (there are alot of talks on this forum about adapter cables to go from vga to something else - rgb - dvi - hdmi, unless it supports it dont try to monkey it, just get a card that supports the connection you want)

as far as resolution the video (movies) should be scaling properly, if not right click on your desktop goto properties and then settings and try a lower resolution (tv max resolution is 640x480 unless you go with a high end hdtv display so take your resolution down as low as it will go, probably 800x600)

15. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

don't know if anyone is following any of the other messages I am participating in but incase your not let me iterate from the "I am the clay" post, when you hook up a computer to a a/v system it pretty much becomes part of the a/v system, if you want a computer use a computer, if you want it in your a/v system make one special for it thats all that it does, trying to have it both ways will only lead to crap quality (the decisions made when making a pvr a/v computer over a normal computer are DIFFERENT, you don't choose the high end video card, you choose the one that gives you the best picture on your tv. You don't choose the fastest mother you can find, you choose a slower one, SLOWER = QUIETER and you want quiet next to your tv, just try to watch a movie with your girl with your machine screaming at you - it don't work!) Check out the avs forums for good build tips, or ask me if you need help, btw read the "I am the clay" posting, there is alot of good build tips in there

16. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

I can get the fuzzy text and a good movie picture just fine on the TV, so I am on board with y'all, but the only way i can get it to work on the TV is to half pull out my monitor connection, and leave the s-video cable in (which is connected to the tv). When I plug in my s-video my monitor bugs out. can i not have both working at the same time? what settings do i need to accomplish this because i am starting to worry about jacking up my monitor.

17. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

BTW

my video card is a Radeon X300...

18. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

played with the settings and now all i get is the wall paper as well, please help!!!!

19. michael35

michael35 Guest

hi i to am having trouble in conecting my pc to the tv i have a radeon 9600se 128mb with tv out.... now i have tried everything i know whitch is not a lot i have managed to get my deskyop to the tv iam trying to set it up so i can watch downloaded movies on the tv through the dvd player as this is the only way i can get it to at least get my desktop there.. i how ever have al my folder and file comming up on ther tv alought not clear .. i have tryed to set the tv up as primary monitor i have played with the seting in advanced in display settings but i have no idea how to set the tv out as primary monitor... is there any where i can go and read how to set the radeon card to make the tv out as primary monitor

20. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

you have to install the catalyst driver, not the control center, after that go to your advanced options in your display properties, it will be in there, as far as everything looking blurry, the video will look fine but normal analog tv's and connections cannot display a high enough resolution to get clear text

analog tv tops out a 352x I forget what, the bare minimum windows xp will like to use on computer monitors is 800x600, you have more then doubled your resolution going from tv to computer monitor.

The only way to get good resolution is to pony up for a hdtv with either rgb or dvi connector, or get a 30" apple cinema display and use that with your computer as a tv