1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting a website from home.. Help!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Chris112, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Chris112

Chris112 Member

I was wondering if someone can lead me in the right direction as to what software I can use to host my website from home with. I have a website (www.nejbody.org) that I wanted to host from home. It has a php forum and registry which requires an access database. So if possible can someone please lead me to some perferably "free" server software.

Thanks!!

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Well....

First you will need to get something like Apache (Web Server Software) www.apache.org

Then you will need to download and install PHP www.php.net

Then, im not sure about the access database bit... neva used it...

Then you will need a static IP address, and a hostname. Or if you only have a Dynamic IP its ok.

Go to www.dyndns.com and create a hostname, so you can have say chris112.homeip.net etc...

Then a program called DynDNS Updater so every time your IP changes it will update it, so it can still reference to the site.

Then your internet/computer will need to be on all the time, and you will need to remember to get some Firewall Software (and open Port 80 on your router), since everybody that goes 2 ur site will know your IP.

Thats just the basics.....

CJC