1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*HOT* Tech News And Downloads, I Would Read This Thread And Post Any Good Info

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

UPDATE,RIAA sues computer-less family, 234 others, for file sharing

4/24/2006 1:47:43 PM, by Anders Bylund

The RIAA seems to be up to its old tricks again, suing 235 suspected file sharers. Few details are known about this suit so far, but it's clear that the defendants are not "John Doe 1-235" this time, but named individuals who may not be aware yet that they have been sued. While that's certainly a start, it's no guarantee that the legal team did their homework this time.

Previous incidents where the recording industry sued demonstrably innocent or dead people haven't pushed the lawyers to perfection quite yet. A family in Rome, GA, (one of the 235 defendants) was very surprised when the local newspaper contacted them to ask about the file sharing lawsuit in which they were implicated:

"I don't understand this," said James Walls. "How can they sue us when we don't even have a computer?"

go here to read it all
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060424-6662.html

2. ireland

ireland Active member

Music industry guilty of collusion?

4/24/2006 1:11:55 PM, by Nate Anderson

The Napster case, believe it or not, is still going strong. It took an interesting twist last week, though, when Judge Marilyn Patel ordered EMI and Universal to turn over documents which could show evidence of collusion among the music labels. The backstory here is a long one, so stay with me. When Napster was first launched, the music labels did not embrace Internet distribution of their music, but realized that they had to make at least a token effort in this direction. To that end, the labels joined forces and launched two music services, pressplay and MusicNet, neither of which impressed anyone. They did catch the eye of the Department of Justice, however, which looked into possible antitrust issues raised by the stores.

In August 2001, the Justice Department opened antitrust investigations into two of the first legal music services, which were owned by the same corporations that then owned the major music companies. MusicNet was a joint venture of AOL Time Warner Inc., Bertelsmann AG and EMI.

Pressplay was owned by Sony Corp. and Vivendi. At issue in the probe was whether the joint ventures' parent companies used their ownership positions to gain improper access to their competitors wholesale pricing arrangements, which would have been anticompetitive.

GO HERE TO READ IT ALL
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060424-6661.html

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning all! On my third cup and will soon go for the 4th. Tons of government regs to read again today ... a difficult demand on a mind of mush.

@Boxwrench...will PM today buddy; had a weekend from hell!

4. ireland

ireland Active member

IE The Great Microsoft Blunder?
    Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday April 25, @03:38PM
    from the not-a-shining-example-of-engineering dept.
    Internet Explorer Microsoft
    JordanL writes "Hot on the heels of the beta rollouts of IE 7, comes an editorial from John Dvorak declaring IE the biggest mistake Microsoft has ever made. From the article: 'All the work that has to go into keeping the browser afloat is time that could have been better spent on making Vista work as first advertised [...] If you were to put together a comprehensive profit-and-loss statement for IE, there would be a zero in the profits column and billions in the losses column--billions.'"

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/25/1815213&from=rss

go here to read the article
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=1884077

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning all! A nice big coffee of a strong special blend to toast me birthday. 54 today!

6. little155

little155 Regular member

Happy birthday gerry, and nothing like a nice mug of coffee early in the morning. I guess that's early (9:18) for me "being retired", that is. And many more b'days and mugs of coffee.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  7. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning all,no coffee,its cooking

EFF says 'stop RIAA madness'[​IMG]

p2p news / p2pnet: The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) has joined the steadily growing crowd that's had enough of the Big Four Organized Music cartels' vicious and bizarre sue 'em all marketing scheme.

In its latest phk-up, the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), owned by Warner Music, Sony BMG, Vivendi Universal and EMI, subpoenaed a Georgia family which A) doesn't own a computer and B) isn't even online.

This shouldn't come as any kind of surprise, however. The RIAA has also tried to sue Gertrude Walton, an 83-year-old deceased grandmother, not to mention children as young as 12, and their parents.

Now, "Take a Stand Against the Madness; Stop the RIAA!," says the EFF.
    "The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is on a rampage, launching legal attacks against average Americans from coast to coast. Rather than working to create a rational, legal means by which its customers can take advantage of file-sharing technology and pay a fair price for the music they love, it has chosen to sue people like Brianna LaHara, a 12 year-old girl living in New York City public housing.

read the rest here
    http://p2pnet.net/story/8645

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning all! Stong coffee and a hearty breakfast for what is to come. Haven't been online much which will continue for the next week. Two weeks of meeting about government regulartion. My mind has either been wiped clean (tabula rasa for philosophy freaks) or my mind is so full of bull that I haven't room for anything else. I can't decide.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning jerry1 and all,on me second cup of coffee,
    some news to read with ye coffee

also go here to read more news
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/74

Canadian artists form anti-DRM coalition, call for copyright reform
    Posted by Dan Bell on 27 April 2006 - 04:05 - Source: Canadian Music Creators Coalition

You gotta love Canada! Looks like some artists up there have been getting plenty stirred up over the embarrassing stance taken by CRIA (pronounced "kreea" - yeah right) and the universally despised RIAA. They are forming a group of content creators with some very impressive credentials, that are going to make darn sure that politicians get to hear more than just one side of the story. This is great that the people that make the content are able to band together and try to force change on society. It is time that corporations caught up with the consumer. Down with DRM!

Check out the present list of CMCC Members:
    Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sum 41, Stars, Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace), Dave Bidini (Rheostatics), Billy Talent, John K. Samson (Weakerthans), Broken Social Scene, Sloan, Andrew Cash and Bob Wiseman (Co-founder Blue Rodeo).

A NEW VOICE

We are a growing coalition of Canadian music creators who share the common goal of having our voices heard about the laws and policies that affect our livelihoods. We are the people who actually create Canadian music. Without us, there would be no music for copyright laws to protect.

go here to read it all
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13350

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  10. ireland

ireland Active member

some video stuff for ye all

click here

sorry had to remove it..couple of the videos were bad stuff.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Okay so it is not morning, but got back from vacation and wanted to say hello to ya'll, been down south.

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning all! Mucho mucho hot strong coffee for me today. If you're religious then pray for me: I must spend a week at Penn State discussing the interpretation of government regulations which is about as much fun as a root canal!

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Good morning to all.

@gerry

Oh come on, students can be fun, they ask some exciting questions or fall asleep. I know I used to be one many a moon ago.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning one and all! Another day and more strong coffee. My last day out in the boonies. They have the larges birds I've ever seen; I think they call them geese and they can fly!

The one advantage of being a big city social worker is that everyone else from the boonies thinks you're as jaded as your big city clients and it's so damned much fun to play that card big time! What the hell, if one must suffer such a reputation, you might just as well have fun with it!

Have a great day folks!! ... Gerry

16. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning jerry1 and all..having a full breakfast,and me coffee....

[​IMG]

Watch 70 legal TV stations for free

DiggAddiction submitted by DiggAddiction 8 hours 53 minutes ago (via http://www.channelchooser.com)

Here is a collection of 70 free legal channels that you can watch from your browser. Includes Game Network, Tv Cartoons, Horror Channel, Comedy Channel, Sci-Fi Channel, Lifestyle Network, 8 Adult channels and a lot more.

http://www.channelchooser.com/

let me know if it works for ye,as i do not let me media player go to the net
    cheers

17. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@ireland

The only non-artery clogging item in that breakfast is the coffee.

18. svar91

svar91 Regular member

[​IMG]
    Korea Unveils World's Second Android

'Intelligent' Robots Hold Rich Potential for Korea
    R2D2 May Soon be Your Household Companion
    Korea's Smart Robot Ambitions Catch Int'l Attention
    October to See Venture Into Space-Age Robot Utopia
    Korea has developed its own android capable of facial expressions on its humanoid face, the second such machine to be developed after one from Japan. The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy invited some 60 children to the Kyoyuk Munhwa Hoekwan in Seoul to introduce Ever-1 to the public. The name combines the first human name found in the Bible, Eve, with the "r" in robot.

The Korean Institute for Industrial Technology (KITECH) said the android, which has the face and body of a woman in her 20s, is 160 cm tall and weighs 50 kg. Ever-1 can move its upper body and “express” happiness, anger, sadness and pleasure. But the robot is still incapable of moving its lower half. Ever-1's skin is made from a silicon jelly that feels similar to human skin. The face is a composite of two stars, and its torso on a singer.

The 15 monitors in the robotic face allow it to interpret the face of an interlocutor and look back at whoever stands near it. Ever-1 also recognizes 400 words and can hold a basic verbal exchange.

"The robot can serve to provide information in department stores and museums or read stories to children; it’s capable of both education and entertainment functions," said KITECH scientist Baeg Moon-hong, part of the team that created the robot. "The Ever-2, which will have improved vision and ability to express emotions and can sit or stand, will be debuted towards the end of the year

19. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning having me coffee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  20. little155

little155 Regular member

@svar91, can that Andriod drink coffee, have scrambled eggs and toast and a few slices of bacon. HaHa Good morning everyone, George.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.