1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*HOT* Tech News And Downloads, I Would Read This Thread And Post Any Good Info

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

afternoon all,

The Pioneer BDR-101A Blu-ray recorder
    $1000 burning a hole in your pocket?

For those who cannot wait to get on the Blu-ray train, Pioneer's BDR-101A PC Blu-ray recorder is just starting to trickle into the retail channel. Tiger Direct has just listed the BDR-101A for sale at a mere $999.99. Many analysts had speculated that Pioneer would drop the price of the BDR-101A significantly after NEC and Toshiba both announced PC HD-DVD recorders for under $500.

The HD-DVD camp currently does not have a recordable device, nor media, but Toshiba currently has the only next-generation set top player available on the retail market, the HD-DVD Toshiba HD-A1 -- though the Sony Blu-ray BDP-S1 player is also expected to show up at your local Fry's, eventually.

Pioneer announced the device several months ago at the Consumer Electronics Expo 2006 in Las Vegas. Recordable media was announced a few weeks ago, with single layer 25GB once-recordable discs checking in at $48, and re-recordable discs coming in at $60.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2405

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

And I gripe at the cost of a Verbatim DL disk, all of this is a little to rich for my blood.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

arniebear

i just bought a western 100gb hd for 60 dollars,and i sure ain't that crazy to buy a (25GB once-recordable discs checking in at $48,}

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have decided that the minute I win American Idol I will purchase all of these gizmos. Now I better go off an practice my singing.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Get Ready for Windows Vista web page

Getting ready for Windows Vista, available in early 2007, means choosing the edition that's right for you and ensuring that you have the right PC to enjoy the experiences you want.
    Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PCs

You can confidently buy a Windows XP computer today that's ready when you are for Windows Vista. Find out more about buying a Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready PC.
    Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta will help you determine if your current PC is ready for an upgrade to Windows Vista. It will also help you to choose the edition of Windows Vista that's right for you. Download the Upgrade Advisor beta and run an analysis of your current PC and use the detailed feedback to ensure that your PC is ready for the edition of Windows Vista that you want.
    Windows Vista Editions

From home entertainment to business productivity and everything in between, there's an edition of Windows Vista that's right for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor is a small beta application that you can run on your current Windows XP-based computer to find out if it's ready for an upgrade to Windows Vista. When you run the Upgrade Advisor, it will scan your computer and generate an easy-to-understand report of any known system and device compatibility issues, along with recommendations on how you can get your PC ready for Windows Vista. Microsoft plans to add functionality to Upgrade Advisor, such as checking how your software applications will run with Windows Vista. Download the beta version today and check this site in a few months for a new version.
    Before You Begin

Before you begin the process of finding out if your PC is ready for Windows Vista, please be sure to plug in any USB or other attachable peripheral devices (such as printers, external hard drives, or scanners) that are regularly used with the PC you're evaluating.
    Download

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

[​IMG]

Their webpage does not even work, and they expect me to buy their OS.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

It works now, it did not the first two times I clicked.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

Windows Vista's recommended settings according to Microsoft, then according to Ars

5/18/2006 11:34:47 AM, by Ken Fisher

Microsoft today will unveil a new website aimed at informing consumers about Windows Vista's hardware requirements, among other things. As we reported earlier, there are two levels of recommendations for Windows Vista, those dubbed "Vista-Capable" and those dubbed "Premium-Ready." Microsoft has now revealed the specs in each category, and here they are:

Minimum Requirements (Vista-Capable PCs):

* 800 MHz Intel-compatible processor
    * 512MB of RAM
    * DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor
    * 20GB HD

Recommended Requirements (Premium-Ready PCs):

* 1 GHz Intel-compatible processor
    * 1GB RAM
    * DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128MB graphics memory. (64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels [no more than 1440x900]; 128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels [no more than 1920x1200]; 256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels [more than 1920x1200]).
    * 40GB HD with at least 15GB "free space"

What's the difference between the two recommendations? Machines that are only "Vista Capable" can indeed run Vista, but as we reported earlier, those machines will not be able to run the new Aero user interface.

For the PC enthusiast, the specifications—even for the "premium" experience—are tame. Joe Consumer might not feel the same way, however. 1GB of system RAM has not been common in default OEM configurations from companies such as Dell until recently, although most have been eager to sell upgrades. In fact, while 1GB of RAM is standard across Dell's popular XPS line, their bargain-oriented "Basic Desktops" still come standard with 256MB or 512MB of RAM, although upgrades are still possible. (I shudder at the thought of running Windows XP with only 256MB or 512MB of RAM!)

Indeed, part of today's announcement will highlight the release of a system-scanning tool aimed at letting users just what they need to upgrade in their system to meet either level of support. Of course, we here in the Orbiting HQ want to stress that these specification recommendations are minimum, minimum, minimum! If you have a PC with a 1 GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 128MB DirectX 9.0-compliant video card... you'd be insane to install Windows Vista (in our not-so-humble opinions.)

Until the OS is shipping, it is difficult to make recommendations that we can stick by, but our own experience with the recent beta release and other builds leads us to suggest the following emendation to Microsoft's specs: you should have a 2.5 GHz Intel-compatible "P4 generation" processor or better (which includes the newer, lower-clocked Core Solos and Duos) to even think about upgrading. 1GB of RAM will see you through tough times, but Jean Claude Van Dam would mostly certainly want 2GB of RAM in his system before fighting for the free world. We think you should plan on it, too.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060518-6863.html

10. ireland

ireland Active member

WMP11 with MTV Urge will give tough competition for iTunes
    Posted by Seán Byrne on 18 May 2006 - 17:30 - Source: Bostom.com

Since Apple's iTunes music service first dominated the music download service market, so far no one has succeeded in making much of a dent, even with services such as Yahoo Inc. and Napster that both offer an unlimited download subscription plan. Now, MTV Networks has teamed up with Microsoft to release its own music ownload service with a 2 million song catalogue. Like other unlimited subscription based services, they will offer unlimited downloading for $9.95 a month or $14.95 a month with portable player support. Individual songs can be purchased for 99¢, which do not expire.

The Urge music service has a significant competitive advantage in that MTV is one of the most watched music video channels and is available in 170 countries across 122 TV channels. Microsoft's Windows Media player 11 release includes the Urge music service built in, which means that consumers who upgrade their Windows Media Player to version 11 automatically have access to the service, much like how the iTunes music store is integrated in the iTunes software package.

Unfortunately, like other music stores distributing music in the Windows Media DRM format, this music service is not compatible with the Apple iPod, despite the iPod accounting for around 70% of the digital audio player market. Customers who are interested in taking their music on the move will a need a portable player featuring Microsoft's "PlaysForSure" logo.

The new service, called Urge, will charge buyers the same price as iTunes' popular 99-cent song downloads. But Urge also will let users download to their personal computer and listen to any recording in its 2-million-song catalog for $9.95 a month. Users who pay $14.95 a month will be able to copy their songs onto portable music players and listen to them wherever they want, thanks to anticopying software from Microsoft that prevents music piracy.

While many competitors such as Napster, Yahoo Inc., RealNetworks Inc.'s Rhapsody, and even Microsoft's own MSN service have entered the online music business in recent years, all have failed to shake Apple's grip on the market.

Analysts say the partnership of the world's largest software company and the marketing muscle of MTV poses the most serious challenge yet to Apple's dominance.

The full fairly lengthy article can be read here.

If Windows Media Player 11’s Urge music store integration and MTV’s muscle power do not help put a dent in iTunes’ market share, it seems like nothing else will either, unless something can be done about iPod compatibility or someone can come up with something more attractive than an iPod. On the other hand, the most likely thing this music service will cause is serious competition against the struggling Napster, Yahoo and other Windows Media based music services, since this new service will offer pretty much the same features and player compatibility, but with the exception that it comes integrated with WMP 11, not to mention new PCs that will include WMP 11 as standard.

Feel free to discuss about the Urge music service and other online music services on our forum.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13441

11. ireland

ireland Active member

GROUP PIX OF THE MODS HERE AT AFTERDAWN..
    name the mods in the pix,and win a trip to Disneyland

[​IMG]

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@ireland

I'll guess you are the one with the plaid blanket and horns :)

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning all. A lot of nice strong coffee to keep me awake during the two to three hours of our weekly and unnecessary staff meeting. It is pouring rain in Philly and I noticed a new fashion statement in raincoats among the college students this morning...the hefty garbage bag raincoat. One just snips a hole in the center of the bottom and slides in over his/her head and voila! ...an instant and disposable raincoat. Not exactly to my taste though. I prefer those yellow things with the cap like ten year olds wear :)

14. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning all
    i got the big coffee pot on so ye all can have a cup,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I need some coffee this morning along with a wee dram in it, just noticed that andmerr is gone, was on vacation when that took place and also brobear too. It is a sad morning for me :(

16. ireland

ireland Active member

THIS IS COOL BUY, ONLY 15000 DOLLARS..AND NO DRM...
    i think i will buy two,he,he...

ELP vinyl record player employs lasers instead of a needle!

Posted by Dan Bell on 20 May 2006 - 03:08 - Source: ELP

[​IMG]

OK guys, maybe you heard of this thing, but it's news to me. We have many visitors here that for one reason or another, still have some vinyl records around. Yours truly included, I just can't bring myself to getting rid of them. Even though you can get a good turntable, each time you play the record, it must have some negative impact on it. Imagine if you could play them and never touch the surface.

Japanese company ELP, have devised a player that uses lasers to play your old records, which is pretty darn cool. The laser "stylus" reads the record grooves with light, therefore no groove contact and no wear, plus the unit features pure analog playback. Speaking of playback, audiophiles rejoice, as the ELP will play back your vinyl treasures with master tape quality. The only drawback is, it will set you back about $15,000 dollars US. But, to a CD Freak, this is nothing!

How the LT Works

The Principle of Contact-Free Tracking and Audio Reproduction

Two Tracking Laser beams are directed to the left and to the right shoulders of the groove of the record. Only the part of the beams that reach the groove are reflected to two PSD (Position Sensitive Detector) optical semiconductors. The part of the beams that fall on the land area of the record are deflected and not picked up by the PSD devices. The signals are sent to a microprocessor via analog to digital converters, then to servos to maintain the reader head position directly above the groove.

Two additional laser beams are directed at the left groove wall and the right groove wall just below the tracking beams. Modulation on the individual grooves is reflected to scanner mirrors and onto left and right photo optical sensors. The variations of the modulated light cause the audio sensors to develop an electrical representation of the mechanical modulation of the grooves. The entire sound reproduction chain is analog.

The distance from the surface of the record to the traveling pickup head is kept constant by using a separate laser beam. This is very similar to every CD player that uses a "focus" laser to move the laser that reads digital bits to the proper spacing between the reader and the disc. Since phono records vary in thickness, this feature assures precision alignment from the pickup head to the record. The servos are fast and responsive allowing the LT to accommodate even warped records. Also the new audiophile 180 gram (thick) records are reproduced beautifully.

A special calibration LP record is furnished with each Laser Turntable and is used to set up the optics and microprocessor. The record has about 20 minutes of grooves with no sound. It is necessary to run this special disk for about 30 seconds.

The calibration disk should be used when you operate the machine for the first time. Every few months you may elect to run the calibration disk to maintain tracking accuracy, particularly if you notice any mis-tracking during playback. When the machine is moved to another location, it is wise to run the calibration disk again.

The Laser Turntable is, no doubt, the most sophisticated and state-of-the-art "Record player" ever designed.

Well, I wont argue with that last line, if I didn't lose count, the ELP uses five lasers to read these discs. This thing is expensive for sure, but it is such a very interesting and sophisticated machine. We should congratulate the engineers involved in such a feat and also Mr. Sanju Chiba, President of ELP Corporation, as they passed a milestone in 2005 by selling their 1000th unit! I can imagine that museums or collectors or any place that has one-of-a-kind recordings, would love one of these, as they certainly allow the listening without fear of damage. For those that are interested in such technology, you can find much more information on the ELP website.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13447

web site
    Why Vinyl Records? Why Not CDs?

Sanju Chiba, president of ELP Corporation
    Sanju Chiba, President of ELP Corporation
    Welcome to our web site! I hope you find it enjoyable and informative.

First, I would like to tell you why ELP continues to promote the Laser Turntable (LT) in spite of the digital music revolution.

Today, many people still own vinyl records but run into similar difficulties:

(1) For sentimental reasons, people hold on to vinyl record collections. However, these collections can warp or break over time, and they can no longer be played on traditional needle-based turntables.
    (2) Some prefer the sound of analog music, but are worried about damaging vinyl records further using a needle.

The LT is no-contact and no-wear; audio information is read using lasers. This preserves the audio on records that have never been played on a traditional turntable and protects those that have. Also, audio is reproduced with no digitalization, preserving the analog sound (please refer to the detailed information on our home page).

Through the use of new technology, it is our dream to make vinyl record playback problem-free. We also believe that new technology should have an additional purpose: to re-vitalize old products and prevent them from becoming obsolete. Music and sounds in vinyl records--an invention dating back to Mr. Edison's phonograph--should be maintained without any distortion and without wear or damage. Based on these beliefs and policies, ELP acquired the patent from the original developer, Finial Technology, and started promoting the LT in 1989. Since then ELP has resolved many technical and non-technical issues in the research and development of the LT.

ELP decided not only to operate its LT business for profit, but to adhere to this philosophy. Using this philosophy as our guideline, ELP has worked very hard and achieved a milestone in 2005 of 1,000 units sold. This means that only ELP, together with current LT users, is in a unique position to offer the opportunity for more people to enjoy vinyl records on the ELP Laser Turntable.

-Sanju Chiba, President

Enter the site and learn more!
    http://www.elpj.com/

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  17. ireland

ireland Active member

just got me first cup of coffee for the day,and i have a headache from all the stuff i read in the (Lets Paint The Kettle Black thread)
    had to add a wee drop to me coffee after that read
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@ireland

Totally agree on the wee dram, and ooooooooooh Jameson one of my favorites, after Bushmill's. Could you spare a drop for a thirsty man :)

19. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Ah....that's better maybe this whole ordeal will go to rest and everybody can relax and we can enjoy our stay on AD.......Time to get things back in order.....!

20. ireland

ireland Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.