1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*HOT* Tech News And Downloads, I Would Read This Thread And Post Any Good Info

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is neph's girl!! the 2nd 1 you posted is my type.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

FREE CANDY,

SHRINK PIC.......... Automatically resize photos for email, instant messenger and web uploads Attach dozens of photos to emails without any problems. Upload to your blog or website in seconds, and share with your friends instantly! Shrink Pic automatically detects when you send photos by email, Instant Messenger or web browser and compresses them for you. There's no need to make duplicates and resize - it all happens instantly, when you send photos.....(free).....GO THERE!
    http://www.onthegosoft.com/

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I'll take the girl in the black lingerie without the tail, please :)

4. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning all,remember Destroy ye old bad hard drive do not throw it away

ye got to love Best Buy

Destroyed' Hard Drive Found At Flea Market
    Posted by CowboyNeal on Thursday June 01, @07:01PM
    from the geek-squad-dark-sides dept.
    Privacy Security
    Billosaur writes "From Yahoo News comes this tidbit about a couple who got a very shocking phone call. Henry and Roma Gerbus received a phone call from a man named Ed claiming he had purchased their old hard drive at a flea market. They had previously taken their computer to Best Buy to have the hard drive replaced and were told that the store would destroy it. Now it has turned up at a flea market, still containing their personal information, such as bank account numbers and Social Security numbers. The Gerbus' are a little perplexed and are very worried about identity theft."

the story

Couple's Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago
    A year ago, Henry and Roma Gerbus took their computer to Best Buy in Springfield Township to have its hard drive replaced.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Gerbus said Best Buy assured him the computer's old hard drive -- loaded with personal information -- would be destroyed.

"They said rest assured. They drill holes in it so it's useless," said Gerbus.

A few months ago, Gerbus got a phone call from a man in Chicago.

"He said, 'My name is Ed. I just bought your hard drive for $25 at a flea market in Chicago,'" said Gerbus. "I thought my world was coming down."

Gerbus and his wife had good reason to worry.

A total stranger had access to the couple's personal information, including
    Social Security numbers, bank statements and investment records.

Through information listed on the hard drive, the man in Chicago was able to contact the couple.

"He said, 'Do you want me to wipe it clean or send it to you?' I told him to send it to me. I wanted it in my hands," said Gerbus.

Gerbus received the hard drive a few weeks later.

As a precaution, the couple alerted the major credit bureaus to protect their information.

"I'm not leaving myself open to identity theft," said Gerbus.

Target 5's Tom Sussi contacted Best Buy to figure out how the Gerbus' hard drive wound up at a flea market outside Chicago.

Best Buy issued the following statement to Target 5.

"Our company values and places the utmost importance on maintaining the privacy of our customers. We will fully investigate these allegations."

In the meantime, Gerbus said he hopes the couple's private information didn't fall into the wrong hands. "I don?t know if we're going to have a problem," said Gerbus. "I just don't know."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20060601/lo_wlwt/9303216

5. ireland

ireland Active member

free candy

9800 ways to slow your computer

I certainly hope no one plans to install all of these fonts on their computer. Doing so will slow down your computer's performance considerably. If you truly need all of those fonts, consider using a font manager software.

9,800 fonts for free
    June 2, 2006 7:00 AM PDT

As blogs such as Buttonator.com have shown, tools for simple Web design are getting easier to use all the time. And sites like Creamundo.com can expand your look-and-feel choices for text, offering 9,800 free fonts that can be sampled and downloaded.
    Posted by Mike Yamamoto
    http://www.creamundo.com/index.php?lang=en

6. ireland

ireland Active member

per baldbear
    Virus Returns To Hewlett-Packard Web Site | 2 June 2006

A virus that first appeared on Hewlett-Packard Co.’s Web site six years ago was recently detected in a device driver being distributed to HP customers over the Internet, a security firm said Thursday. The Funlove virus was discovered Wednesday in a driver available through HP’s FTP servers, BitDefender said. The security company notified the Palo Alto, Calif., computer maker and the application was removed from the Web site.

"This incident highlights the importance of checking outgoing file traffic in a corporate environment and is proof of the uncanny survivability of file infectors in general," Bogdan Dumitru, chief technology officer for BitDefender, set in a statement.

The virus attempts to gain administrative rights on Windows NT, giving a remote computer the ability to read and modify files when a user logs in, BitDefender said. The malware can also infect Windows 9x/ME/2000.

HP was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=188700951

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Warner, Sony sites hacked,[​IMG]

p2p news / p2pnet: Looks like the Swedish police aren't the only ones to be feeling the wrath of angry surfers.

Sites owned by two members of the Organized Music cartel have been defaced, says Zone-h.

Hit were Sony BMG and Warner Music with sonymusic.it, sonymusicstudios.co.uk and warnermusic.com.tw as the affected sites.

The mirrors of the defacements are: sonymusic.it/index.php , sonymusicstudios.co.uk , warnermusic.com.tw, says the post, and, "While writing this article, both sonymusic.it and sony musicstudios.co.uk turn out to be still defaced, whereas warnermusic.com.tw is impossible to reach".

On Sony, Zone-h says it saw another defacement against the website sonymusiceurope.com 10 days ago.

Both the attacks on the Sony BMG websites were by LuCky_Luke.

"The attacked websites, which are on different machines, are hosted by the same provider, that is Savvis.net," says the story. "The defacer reported the breach at the CMS level. About Warner Music, the defacement was performed by a crew of defacers who come from Chile, known as 'byond hackers team'.

"One year ago, the same website was attacked by the XTech Inc, a team of Mexicans and Argentineans who have been defacing for a long time," says Zone-h.

"About those defacements that involved in such a short period of time both Warner and Sony, we wonder if this happened just by chance or if this is the expression of a far more complex plot. It could be interesting drawing out some focus points: let’s start from the concept that lately Major Record Companies are more and more under fire, every day we hear about anti-piracy countermeasures by the RIAA (the Recording Industry Association of America).

"Some of these actions are quite questionable, as the decision to limit information exchanges by closing P2P networks, or by forbidding the use of P2P software. Then we can’t forget their conveying Trojan horses on P2P networks by pretending they were mp3 and videos, in order to punish those who downloaded materials under copyright. Last but not least, the rising of CD and DVD prices and the massive adoption of invasive DRM systems.

"About that we can’t forget the last vicissitude that involved Sony BMG: the case of those root-kits installed on users’ systems without tthe user's knowledge. Did the last events start a sort of digital guerrilla against Major Companies? For sure, beyond last issues, there are older reasons: the message posted on www.warnermusic.com.tw home page : "phnx defaced you - byond crew -- f@ck capitalism", is quite clear..."

There have been no reports, so far, of attacks on the other two Organized Music cartel owners, EMI and Vivendi Universal.

Digg this story.

Also See:
    angry surfers - Swedish police site hacked, June 2, 2006
    Zone-h - Music Companies under hackers’ fire, May 31, 2006

p2pnet newsfeeds for your site.
    rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss
    Mobile - http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php

NOTE: p2pnet is being sued by Sharman Networks and Nikki Hemming, ceo of p2p application Kazaa. "The suit is a little odd, since P2PNet.net is a champion of peer-to-peer file-sharing, which is the same business that Kazaa is in," says The Globe & Mail. If you'd like to help p2pnet, or find out more, please go here.

(Friday 2nd June 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/8950

8. ireland

ireland Active member

Videos: new RIAA p2p targets

p2p news / p2pnet: As if the members of the Big Four Organized Music cartel, "devastated," they claim, by hundreds of millions of file sharing, criminal customers, didn't have enough trouble, they now have something else to worry about.

"The rise of user-generated content sites like YouTube, MySpace, Google Video and iFilm has sparked a revolution in the viral sharing of music videos across these Web communities," says Reuters/Billboard. "The problem is, much of the distribution taking place - outside a select number of promotional deals - is happening without the approval of record companies."

Say it ain't SO!

But it is and the RIAA, owned by Warner Music, EMI, Vivendi Universal and Sony BMG, "recently issued cease-and-desist letters to YouTube users sharing videos from the likes of Nelly Furtado, Beyonce and Rihanna," says the story, going on:

"The site, which now claims more than 6 million visitors and 40 million streams daily, has become a haven for unlicensed music videos, which users are capturing with TiVo and other digital video recorders and then posting the files to the Web. Much of the material is coming from recorded MTV broadcasts."

According to Reuters/Billboard, "one source close to the situation says that the recording industry is lobbying YouTube and other viral video sites to implement content-filtering technologies to identify and block unauthorized distribution of copyrighted works."

DRM.

"Viral video sharing would not have been an issue just 18 months ago, when the labels still viewed music videos as a promotional tool for selling albums, says the story, adding:

"But today videos are a rapidly growing money-maker for the music business. The RIAA estimates that sales of music videos topped $3.7 million in three months, after being introduced in October. Meanwhile, the major labels also are sharing in the profits of ad-supported video-on-demand offerings from AOL, Yahoo, Music Choice and others.
    [​IMG]
    "That is revenue the music industry is keenly interested in protecting."

As far back as 2002, Ispso-Reid estimated some 60 million Americans had downloaded and it's likely the number has grown substantially since then.

Our most recent statistics from p2p research firm Big Champagne are out of date, but they still show the numbers of users simultaneously logged onto the p2p networks at any given moment has been rising steadily.

The labels claim people who share music with each other are criminals and thieves. Accordingly, the Big Four have fired subpoenas at 19,000 American men, women and even children, accusing them of being thieves.

Has singling out 19,000 from 60 million had any effect on file sharing? No, although the RIAA claims it has, in statements repeated as gospel by the the gullible (the most favourable interpretation) mainstream media.

Traditional print and electronic press outlets also give credence to label disinformation which suggests subpoenas amount to actual 'prosecutions,' and that the people who received them have been found guilty of file sharing.

However, file sharing isn't a crime, or anywhere near it. Nothing has been stolen, no money has changed hands, and it's never been shown that a file shared equals a sale lost. In reality, at absolute worst, people who share files may (or may not) have infringed a copyright.

Stay tuned.

Digg this story.

Also See:
    Reuters/Billboard - Viral video sharing is new headache for music biz, June 2, 2006
    Ispso-Reid - Americans Continue To Embrace Potential Of Digital Music, December 4, 2002

p2pnet newsfeeds for your site.
    rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss
    Mobile - http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php

NOTE: p2pnet is being sued by Sharman Networks and Nikki Hemming, ceo of p2p application Kazaa. "The suit is a little odd, since P2PNet.net is a champion of peer-to-peer file-sharing, which is the same business that Kazaa is in," says The Globe & Mail. If you'd like to help p2pnet, or find out more, please go here.

(Saturday 3rd June 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/8957

9. ireland

ireland Active member

Me neighbor brought me coffee this morning,like 3 in the morning..

[​IMG]

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Hope she stayed for breakfast :)

11. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning arniebear
    sent her home after the free stuff...

12 Free Full Games For Your Collection
    They might be a bit old but they are free.

As we promised, we are back with a new pack of free full games, ranging from adventure to space sim - some titles are patched up to the latest version. Expect a new pack at the end of the next week.

- Gamershell.com
    http://www.gamershell.com/news/30646.html

Add a new bunch of free full games to your collection
    As we promised, we are back with a new pack of free full games, ranging from adventure to space sim - some titles are patched up to the latest version. Expect a new pack at the end of the next week.
    Local Download:
    Wing Commander Privateer Remake Full Free Game v1.0 for Windows (180.7MB - 14,076 downloads)
    Wing Commander Privateer Remake Full Free Game v1.0 for Linux (180.47MB - 1,151 downloads)
    Wing Commander Privateer Remake v1.01 Full Free Game for Mac (192.32MB - 45 downloads)
    Wing Commander Privateer Remake v1.01 Patch for Windows (16.66MB - 161 downloads)
    Wing Commander Privateer Remake v1.01 Patch for Linux (25.81MB - 15 downloads)
    HellChess v1.3 Free Full Game for Windows (8.83MB - 21,072 downloads)
    HellChess v1.2 Free Full Game for Linux (9.52MB - 25 downloads)
    Udoiana Raunes 1 Free Full Game (757.22KB - 914 downloads)
    Udoiana Raunes 2 Free Full Game English Version (1.4MB - 1,212 downloads)
    Udoiana Raunes 2 Free Full Game German Version (1.4MB - 1,098 downloads)
    Udoiana Raunes 3 Free Full Game (10.68MB - 628 downloads)
    Eye of the Kraken Free Full Game (152.6MB - 51,086 downloads)

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

He,he,he, wise man :)

13. ireland

ireland Active member

DOUBLE DRIVER..........With Double Driver you can view which drivers are installed in your system and you can backup the drivers you choose, save and print the drivers list, and more. .....(free).....GO THERE!
    http://boozet.xepher.net/

14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Cool program, sure wish I had this before I accidentally lost a driver, and now cannot get it back, thanks will be downloading this one :)

15. ireland

ireland Active member

The Safest Way to Run Suspicious Programs

Use a protective launch option in Windows XP; stay secure with the free Cryptainer LE utility.

Scott Dunn
    From the July 2006 issue of PC World magazine
    Posted Thursday, May 25, 2006

You don't need to be reminded yet again to keep your virus protection up-to-date or to be cautious about the software you download. But what if you're not sure about the safety of a program you want to run or install? You can attempt a limited installation of any piece of suspect software by using a helpful feature of Windows XP. To safely launch a suspicious program or shortcut, right-click it and choose Run As (see FIGURE 1).

[​IMG]
    Note that in some cases, such as with a mysterious new Control Panel (.cpl) icon, you may need to hold the <Shift> key to see the right-click menu's Run As option.

Advertisement

In the Run As dialog box, select Current user and make sure that the option Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity is checked (see FIGURE 2).
    [​IMG]

Then click OK.

When running in the 'Protect my computer' mode, the program is able to read Registry settings, but it cannot change them. In addition, if your hard disk is formatted with NTFS, the program won't be able to alter any files associated with the current profile, including cookies, temporary Internet files, the desktop, and My Documents. Be aware, though, that while this option protects against a potentially harmful program running on your system, it also brings grief to many perfectly healthy applications that need to store settings or files in one of these locations. Consequently, you might want to reserve this trick for dubious applications or those whose origins are iffy or unknown.

Blogger Aaron Margosis has discovered yet another good use for the 'Protect my computer' option: If you need to prevent a particular Web site from leaving data on your hard drive, launch Internet Explorer through this method prior to visiting the site. Note that when IE is running in this protected mode, you won't be able to access any secured sites whose URLs begin with 'https://'. Also, some commands (such as 'Open Link in New Window' on the context menu) may not work.

Another Desktop Trip Tip

In the March column, I described two keyboard shortcuts to the desktop: <Windows>-D ("D" for "desktop") to toggle showing and hiding all windows; and <Windows>-M ("M" for "minimize") to hide windows but not dialog boxes. I said the latter minimizes, but doesn't restore, the windows. Warren Slack of Lakeland, Florida, points out that pressing <Windows>-<Shift>-M brings back the minimized windows.

Put a Lockbox on Your System With Cryptainer LE

If you want to store your data or applications securely, give Cypherix's Cryptainer LE a try. The free program sets up a virtual vault on your computer. Once you make a password-protected Cryptainer file, it appears in Windows Explorer. Work with that secure container as you would any disk, creating folders, dragging and dropping files, even installing applications on it. When you unload the drive or exit Cryptainer, the virtual disk is visible only as a file protected by 128-bit encryption. You can back up or delete the file, but only your password can unlock its contents. You can put secure containers on rewritable CDs and DVDs, as well as on other removable media. Cryptainer LE's encrypted files can be sent as attachments, and you can make the files self-extracting so the recipient needs only the password (no additional products) to open it. Cryptainer LE limits containers to 25MB; as a workaround, you can create multiple secure volumes on your PC. Alternatively, you could upgrade to one of the paid versions, which permit larger containers (2.5GB for $30, 25GB for $45, 250GB for $90). Click here to download your copy of the free Cryptainer.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23297,00.asp
    Send your Windows-related questions and tips to scott_dunn@pcworld.com. We pay $50 for published items. Scott Dunn is a contributing editor for PC World.

go here
    http://pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,125187,00.asp

16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I got to get me one of these for lunch, who cares about cholesterol. I always new krispy kreme doughnuts were good with anything :)

[​IMG]

17. ireland

ireland Active member

no wonder LOCOENG likes to work the tracks,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  18. ireland

ireland Active member

Batteries, an Altoids tin and an iPod
    June 4, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

Is it really possible to build an iPod recharger with a couple of standard AA batteries and an Altoids gum tin? This post gives step-by-step instructions to assemble what it says is a "very powerful USB charger for your MP3 player, camera, cell phone, and any other gadget you can plug into a USB port to charge." And if you have more spare tins lying around, you can try your hand at some other homemade gadgets.
    Posted by Mike Yamamoto

go here to see it
    http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/1686FF3E41011029AC23001143E7E506/

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good morning all! I'm back in the office after spending the last ten days moving into my new place. I came into the office needing nice strong coffee, which I got, but soon found myself wanting to call my Dr. for a script of Xanax after a plethera of bad news. My co-worker's 21 y.o. grandson was shot to death in a drive by shooting; wrong place at the wrong time. I should be use to this by now as I deal with it every day in my line of work but it hits home harder when it happens to someone you know.

The second big blow is that many of us are going to lose our jobs; we all have to sit by our phones on Thursday and wait to see if we get a phone call telling us the bad news from our divisional vice president. It's going to be a hell of a long week and Thursday will be a day straight out of hell. Say a prayer for me, or cross your fingers, have a pipeful to the great spirit god or do whatever it is you do to ask the supernatural for a special favor in my behalf ... I'll be most grateful !!

20. ireland

ireland Active member

MORNING GERRY1,

May there always be work for your hands to do.
    May your purse always hold a coin or two.
    May the sun always shine on your windowpane.
    May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
    May the hand of a friend always be near you.
    May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.