1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*HOT* Tech News And Downloads, I Would Read This Thread And Post Any Good Info

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Very strong iced coffee, a bowl of cheerios avec blueberries ... a late breakfast while clients test. I have some odd aches and pains today. I did something very healthy yesterday; I went to the gym. It's an annual event I take very seriously ... don't get me wrong; I read about exercise very avidly, everyone should, but it is, after all, an applied discipline rather than merely academic.

I go to such a neat gym; its actually a rehab center open to its former patients. With all the old folks, hip replacements, knee replacements and the elderly with walkers ... I'm the youngest, fittest studliest guy around. Great for the ego.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

'Critical' Microsoft fix breaks some Net connections

By Joris Evers
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    Published: June 20, 2006, 6:30 PM PDT
    Tell us what you think about this storyTalkBack E-mail this story to a friendE-mail View this story formatted for printingPrint

One of the dozen security updates Microsoft released last week is causing network connection trouble for some users, the company said.

The fix delivered with security bulletin MS06-025 can interfere with a certain types of dial-up networking connections, Microsoft said in an article on its support Web site published late Monday. The patch repairs two "critical" security flaws in Windows that could allow an attacker to commandeer a vulnerable PC.

Problems occur only with dial-up connections that use a terminal window, or dial-up scripting, Microsoft said. This type of connection may stop responding after applying the patch, the software maker said.

"This is an older technology that is rarely used by modern dial-up connections," Microsoft said in the support article. The issue may affect direct-dial connections to a corporate network, to a university network or to some Internet service providers, it said.
    Microsoft is working on a revised security patch to address the issue. Meanwhile, the company recommends that people who need to use dial-up scripting or terminal window features do not install the security update.

The MS06-025 patch is one of 12 security bulletins Microsoft released last week with fixes for 21 flaws. Attack code that exploits some of those flaws is already out, increasing the risk to users. There is no known public exploit for the flaws patched by MS06-025, however a private exploit is available to users of a tool made by security vendor Immunity, according to Symantec.

Patches cause trouble at times, on occasion prompting Microsoft to fix those it's released. In April, Microsoft released a second version of a Windows Explorer update because the original interfered with Hewlett-Packard software and Nvidia drivers.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6086130.html?part=rss&tag=6086130&subj=news

Microsoft to fix Windows patch

By Joris Evers
    Published: April 21, 2006, 12:31 PM PDT
    Tell us what you think about this storyTalkBack E-mail this story to a friendE-mail View this story formatted for printingPrint

Microsoft on Tuesday plans to release a new version of a "critical" security patch for Windows to repair problems some people had with the first version of the fix.

The updated patch will be made available on Microsoft's online updating service, Microsoft Update, and pushed out to users via the Automatic Updates feature in Windows, a Microsoft spokesman said in an e-mailed statement on Friday.

Microsoft will push out the fix only to people who have already applied the update and are experiencing problems related to Hewlett-Packard Share-to-Web software or older Nvidia graphics drivers, the spokesman said. "Customers who have already applied the MS06-015 update and are not experiencing the problem need take no action," he said.

The MS06-015 patch, designed to plug a flaw in Windows Explorer, can cause myriad problems for users of HP printers, scanners and digital cameras or Nvidia drivers prior to version 61.94. People with Sunbelt Software's Kerio Personal Firewall also will notice that Windows no longer works as it should after applying the fix, Microsoft has said.

The troubles include being unable to access or save files in special folders like "My Documents" and "My Pictures" and unresponsive Office applications. Other issues include applications that crash after trying to open a file, no response after typing an address into Internet Explorer's address bar, and no effect after right-clicking on a file and selecting "Send To," according to an article on Microsoft's support Web site.

While designed to fix a security issue in Windows Explorer, the patch can actually also impair that specific Windows feature. Clicking on the "plus" sign beside a folder in the file browser may have no effect, Microsoft said in its support article. That action should expand the directory tree.

The Windows Explorer fix is not the only patch that can cause trouble for users. Some people have reported problems with three out of five security updates that Microsoft released this month. A comprehensive fix for Internet Explorer can break some Web applications and an update for Outlook Express can block access to the address book, among other issues.

Microsoft had recommended that people experiencing trouble with the Windows Explorer fix manually change their Windows Registry, a core part of the operating system that stores PC settings. Meddling with the registry can, however, cause even more trouble, and inexperienced users probably should not touch it.

Kerio users should configure the firewall to allow the new Microsoft file to execute without warning, the company has said.
    http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+fix+Windows+patch/2100-1002_3-6063785.html?tag=nl

3. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD MORNING ALL
    having eggs bacon potatoes toast and coffee

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Breakfast looks good this morning, now I am hungry. Think I will go off in search of some bacon/eggs. Glad to see MS is hard at work giving people migraines :eek:

5. ireland

ireland Active member

GO HERE TO READ THE TECH NEWS
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/74

Is the RIAA in p2p retreat?
    [​IMG]

p2p news / p2pnet: Are the members of the Big Four record label cartel finally seeing the insanity of trying to sue their own customers in bizarre attempts to get them to buy 'product," as the Big Four Organized Music cartel members call their grossly over-priced low-fidelity digital music offerings? Are they at last backing away from their sue 'em all campaign?

Their RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) 'trade' unit has been especially active on Capitol Hill, but strangely silent on file sharing, says Digital Music News, noting that the RIAA normally, "routinely publicizes its sweeps".

It does indeed, announcing victim groups which usually amount to 750 or so men, men and even children, on an almost monthly basis.

So far, close to 19,000 Americans have been subpoenaed, events Warner Music, EMI, Vivendi Universal and Sony BMG use the mainstream media to suggest are successful criminal prosecutions, although there's no such offense as file sharing, criminal or otherwise, nothing has been stolen, no money has changed hands and corporate music industry problems have been created entirely by the music industry itself.

Meanwhile, the last formal announcement surrounding individual lawsuits dates back to February 28, the story points out, going on:

"That development raises some questions, though an RIAA representative pointed Digital Music News towards a quieter, more local approach. 'We are filing lawsuits on a weekly basis now,' the representative said, while pointing to a 'more local push'."

The lawsuits date back to September, 2003 and have been singularfly unsuccessful in curbing file-sharing volume, putting considerable pressure on the organization and industry, says the story, adding:

" 'The lawsuits simply don't scale,' opined one top executive in the space. Meanwhile, the RIAA has been pointing to a 'containment' of file-sharing volume over the past year, part of its continued message on the matter."

(Thanks again, Sal)

Also See:
    Digital Music News - RIAA Goes Local on Individual File-Sharing Lawsuits, June 20, 2006

p2pnet newsfeeds for your site.
    rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss
    Mobile - http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php

(Wednesday 21st June 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/9124

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  6. ireland

ireland Active member

buy a dell it will light ye cigs,

Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference
    [​IMG]
    INQ reader's amazing snaps

By INQUIRER newsdesk: Wednesday 21 June 2006, 13:22
    AN INQUIRER READER attending a conference in Japan was sat just feet away from a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in what could have been a deadly accident.

Guilhem, our astonished reader reports: "The damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

Should you witness such an event, his advice is, "Don't try anything courageous/stupid, stay away, away, away!"

[One Dell of a bang]

"For the record, this is a Dell machine," notes Guilhem. "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks out on a plane," he suggests.

Guilhem managed to catch all the action in these amazing pictures.

"Fire extinguishers leave a mess on your suit and belongings; pack your stuff (if you can) and leave, leave, leave!" he advises.

We don't have any further details of the model of the computer in question. In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a laptop on your lap. Ouch.

[Flaming Dell]

µ

go here to see the pixs
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Talk about an overheating problem, to bad I quit smoking.

8. ireland

ireland Active member

Primera® Ships World's First Blu-ray(TM) Disc Duplication System
    Posted by Herbert on 21 June 2006 - 23:07 - Source: Primera

The following text is a complete press release, unmodified by CD Freaks. If you don't want to view these kind of news posting you can disable them in your preferences page once logged in. Please send your press releases to news@cdfreaks.com

Primera® Ships World's First Blu-ray(TM) Disc Duplication System
    The Bravo XR-Blu(TM) Disc Publisher automatically records and prints Blu-ray(TM) Discs.

PLYMOUTH, MINNESOTA, U.S.A. (June 21, 2006) Primera Technology, Inc., the world's leading developer and manufacturer of automated CD/DVD disc publishing equipment, today announced that it has begun shipments of the Bravo XR-Blu Disc Publisher.

Bravo XR-Blu is the world's first automated burn and print device to support new high-capacity Blu-ray Disc recorders and media. Shipping of the unit coincides with announcements this week from other Blu-ray Disc content and equipment providers such as Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Sony Electronics and Samsung Electronics.

Along with its built-in robotics and full-color direct-to-disc inkjet printing, the Bravo XR-Blu incorporates Pioneer Electronics (USA), Inc.'s new BDR-101A Blu-ray Disc/DVD Recorder. Blu-ray enabled recording software based on technology from Sonic Solutions®, the leader in Digital Media Software, is included to provide a complete and professional Blu-ray Disc publishing solution. Recordable BD-R printable-surface media for the XR-Blu is being provided by TDK Electronics Corporation.

As the first automated system to use Blu-ray technology, the Bravo XR-Blu is expected to be used in a wide variety of cutting-edge applications in business, government, military, medical, banking, insurance, back-up and archival, high-definition video, digital movie post production and more.

a good read go here
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13578

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

The only people who can afford it.

10. mactv

mactv Member

hi, you can also check you http://netchannels.tv for more than 100 legal high quality tv channels over the 'net

11. ireland

ireland Active member

who loves aol,

AOL Tries New Tactic to Keep Customers
    Posted by samzenpus on Wednesday June 21, @09:36PM
    from the it's-like-the-hotel-california dept.
    America Online It's funny. Laugh. IT
    Jhon writes "AOL customer Vincent Ferrari tried to cancel his account, but a phone rep wouldn't let him do it. What he got when he tried to cancel his account was a lot of frustration. Now that's customer support!"

An incredible video from CNBC shows an AOL customer trying to cancel his account, but a phone rep won't let him do it. What customer Vincent Ferrari got when he tried to cancel his account was a lot of frustration.

It took him 15 minutes waiting on the phone just to reach a real, live person.

And, what happened next was recorded by Ferrari on audio and lasted about four minutes:

CLOCK READOUT - 00:00

AOL REPRESENTATIVE: Hi this is John at AOL... how may I help you today?

VINCENT FERRARI: I wanted to cancel my account.

AOL: : Sorry to hear that. Let's pull your account up here real quick. Can I have your name please?

VINCENT: Vincent Ferrari.

CLOCK READOUT - 00:30

AOL: : You've had this account for a long time.

VINCENT: Yup.

AOL: : Use this quite a bit. What was the cause of wanting to turn this off today?

VINCENT: I just don't use it anymore.

AOL: : Do you have a high speed connection, like the DSL or cable?

VINCENT: Yup.

AOL: : How long have you had that...

VINCENT: Years...

AOL: : ...the high speed?

VINCENT: ...years.

AOL: : Well, actually I'm showing a lot of usage on this account.

VINCENT: Yeah, a long time, a long time ago, not recently...

CLOCK READOUT - 01:47

AOL: : Okay, I mean is there a problem with the software itself?

VINCENT: No. I just don't use it, I don't need it, I don't want it. I just don't need it anymore.

AOL: : Okay. So when you use this... I mean, use the computer, I'm saying, is that for business or for... for school?

VINCENT: Dude, what difference does it make. I don't want the AOL account anymore. Can we please cancel it?

CLOCK READOUT - 02:21

AOL: : Last year was 545, last month was 545 hours of usage...

VINCENT: I don't know how to make this any clearer, so I'm just gonna say it one last time. Cancel the account.

AOL: : Well explain to me what's, why...

VINCENT: I'm not explaining anything to you. Cancel the account.

AOL: Well, what's the matter man? We're just, I'm just trying to help here.

VINCENT: You're not helping me. You're helping me...

AOL: I am trying to help.

VINCENT: Helping... listen, I called to cancel the account. Helping me would be canceling the account. Please help me and cancel the account.

AOL: No, it wouldn't actually...

VINCENT: Cancel my account...

AOL: : Turning off your account...

VINCENT: ...cancel the account...

AOL: : ...would be the worst thing that...

VINCENT: ...cancel the account.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:02

AOL: Okay, cause I'm just trying to figure out...

VINCENT: Cancel the account. I don't know how to make this any clearer for you. Cancel the account. When I say cancel the account, I don't mean help me figure out how to keep it, I mean cancel the account.

AOL: : Well, I'm sorry, I don't know what anybody's done to you Vincent because all I'm...

VINCENT: Will you please cancel the account.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:32

AOL: : Alright, some day when you calmed down you're gonna realize that all I was trying to do was help you... and it was actually in your best interest to listen to me.

VINCENT: Wonderful, Okay.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:39

"I've never ever experienced anything like that," Ferrari told CNBC.

He recounts how the AOL representative - as a last resort even asked if his dad was home.

"I think I could've put up with everything, but at the point when he asked to speak to my father, I came very close to losing it at that point," said the 30-year-old Ferrari.

Ferrari then posted the call online, and the response was tremendous.

AOL sent him an apology and said the customer service rep was no longer with the company.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9406462/detail.html

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I saw this guy on the Today Show yesterday and they played the call, talk about an over-aggressive sales rep. Mr. Ferrari should have just not paid his bill, they would have cancelled his account fast enough that way.

13. ireland

ireland Active member

I WANT A FREEWARE UTILITY..........450-plus common problems solved. Extremely useful free utilities that do specific jobs really well and save time and money.....(free).....GO THERE!
    http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-freeware-utilities/index.html

examples and more

Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus/Anti-Rootkit Freeware Utilities : I want to ...

1. check if there is a rootkit installed on my computer : F-Secure BlackLight
    2. check if there is a rootkit installed on my computer : RootkitRevealer by SysInternals
    3. check if there is a rootkit installed on my computer : RootKit Hook Analyzer
    4. protect the computer against adware : Ad-Aware Personal
    5. protect the computer against adware : Spybot-S&D
    6. protect the computer against spyware : Windows Defender from Microsoft
    7. protect the computer against trojans : ewido
    8. protect the computer against viruses : AVG Free
    9. protect the computer against viruses : AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
    10. protect the computer against viruses : Avast! 4 Home Edition
    11. protect the computer against viruses : BitDefender 8 Free Edition
    12. protect the computer with a firewall : Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall
    13. protect the computer with a firewall : Safety.Net
    14. protect the computer with a firewall : ZoneAlarm
    15. protect the browser against spyware : SpywareBlaster
    16. protect the browser against spyware : SpywareGuard 2.2
    17. remove CoolWebSearch virus : CWShredder
    18. remove specific viruses : Grisoft/AVG Virus Removal Tools
    19. stop/cleanup homepage hijacking : HijackThis
    20. Check out Open Source Software : Open Source Freeware : 400+ free applications and utilities.
    21. Suggestions/corrections : eConsultant : Blog Archive : I want a Freeware Utility
    22. Back to Top of the Page

Audio/Music/MP3/Real/Wav Freeware Utilities : I want to ...

1. burn a CD : CDBurnerXP Pro
    2. burn an audio CD : MP3 CD Doctor Lite
    3. cut mp3 files into small parts : mp3DirectCut
    4. cut wav files into smaller parts : CD Wave
    5. cut wav files into smaller parts : Wave Splitter
    6. control iTunes in Firefox : FoxyTunes
    7. edit mp3 tags : TigoTago
    8. edit mp3 tags : Mp3tag
    9. fade-in/fade-out mp3 files : mpTrim
    10. manage my iPod without iTunes : YamiPod
    11. organize the mp3 collection : MediaMonkey
    12. organize the mp3 collection : Media Manager
    13. play all mp3 files in a folder : 1by1
    14. play an audio CD : TinyCD
    15. play an audio file : Foobar2000
    16. play an audio file : XMPlay
    17. play real audio (.ra, .rm) files without the real software : Real Alternative
    18. record/save streaming music : Streamripper for Winamp
    19. rip music from a CD : Audiograbber
    20. rip music from a CD : CDex
    21. rip music from a CD : EAC = Exact Audio Copy
    22. show song lyrics for the song playing : EvilLyrics
    23. tag/fix mp3/audio file tags : the GodFather
    24. tag/fix mp3/audio file tags : ID3-TagIT
    25. Check out Open Source Software : Open Source Freeware : 400+ free applications and utilities.
    26. Suggestions/corrections : eConsultant : Blog Archive : I want a Freeware Utility
    27. Back to Top of the Page

Business/Office/Access/Excel/Word Freeware Utilities : I want to ...

14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13579

Now I gotta stop using my webcam and singing in the shower, those RIAA people are just everywhere :eek:

15. ireland

ireland Active member

A VERY HOT READ

Broadcast flag suddenly reappears in telecom bill

6/22/2006 9:32:04 AM, by Eric Bangeman

The Communications, Consumer's Choice, and Broadband Deployment Act of 2006, which has been best known as one of the battlegrounds for network neutrality, is coming up for a vote today in the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation. In addition to granting the phone companies a so-called nationwide franchise to offer TV programming over their networks and a handful of other revisions to the law, an amendment that revives the video and audio broadcast flag has returned in all of its glory (see TITLE IV--VIDEO CONTENT, Subtitle C--Video and Audio Flag).
    Broadcast flag

Under the amendment to S.2686, the Federal Communications Commission would be given the authority to reinstate the broadcast flag. Its previous attempts to create a flag for television were smacked down by the courts, which ruled that the FCC was exceeding its authority in attempting to do so. The ruling left open the possibility for Congress to explicitly give the FCC that power, which this legislation does.

The amendment in question covers both digital TV and radio, and would allow for the kind of draconian regulation the content creation industry has championed all along. It does make a few, very narrow provisions under which content could be reused, but in sum, would be bad news for consumers and consumer electronics manufacturers.

There are a couple of bones thrown to proponents of Fair Use. One is a new Digital Audio Review Board, which would be composed of representatives from the consumer electronics, "information technology," software, radio broadcasting, satellite radio broadcasting, cable, audio recording, and music publishing industries, along with public interest organizations. This Board would be responsible for submitting proposed broadcast flag regulations that represent the consensus of the Board. In the (likely) event that the Board cannot come to a consensus, the FCC would have the ability to issue whatever regulations it pleases.
    Network neutrality and broadband access

Network neutrality makes a brief cameo appearance towards the end of the bill. An amendment would require the FCC to monitor developments in that area for the next five years and submit annual reports to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation and House Committee on Energy and Commerce. The wording fits with committee chairman Sen. Ted Stevens' (R-AK) view that it's too early to act on the issue of network neutrality.

Beyond the broadcast flag and network neutrality, the legislation would also establish a new "Broadband for Unserved Areas Account" in the Universal Service Fund (USF). Currently, the USF is used to subsidize the costs of providing phone service for some consumers and institutions. The bill would extend its reach to broadband, with an eye towards making high-speed Internet access available in areas it currently is not. Satellite DSL providers would be eligible for support from the USF.

After the broadcast flag was originally proposed in 2003 by the FCC, the battleground moved to the courts. Once a Federal appeals court squashed the flag, the TV and radio industries quickly shifted their attentions to Capitol Hill. Thankfully, some senators remain skeptical of the need for legislation, including Sen. John Sununu (R-NH), who believes that the government should not be involved in what is essentially a private sector matter.

Currently, this legislation is up for discussion at 2:00EDT by the Senate Commerce Committee. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has a helpful list of committee members along with their phone numbers. If you are represented by one of them, pick up the phone and give him or her a call and let your senator know how you feel about the broadcast flag. If anything, the events of the last few months have proven that broadcast TV can thrive if it gives consumers what they want. The broadcast flag is restrictive, would strike a further blow to our Fair Use rights, and is completely unnecessary. Hopefully the Senate will realize that.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060622-7107.html

i is posting the tech news here
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/74

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

In the end it is only the consumer who will get screwed, you cannot have a board comprised of industry people and get any fairness. Bah, on the lot of them :(

Here is a good thread on AnyDVD/Clone and the new Vista, glad to know I was not the only one having problems. But slysoft as ever is on tope of it :)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1467331#post1467331

17. ireland

ireland Active member

CHECK THE TIME ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD
    CLICK HERE
    http://www.timeticker.com/main.htm

At FlamingText you can create cool, custom images for FREE,GREAT SITE,
    http://www.flamingtext.com/

I AND OTHERS HAVE USED THIS SERVICE, IT WORKS GREAT.

FILE TO BIG FOR E-MAIL?TRY YOUSENDIT

Enter your recipient's email address, choose a file to store on YouSendIt server, click on Send It button to send a link. Your privacy is guaranteed.

http://www.yousendit.com/

Check this out, it maps where you are with your IP address.
    http://www.zabasearch.com/frames/zaba_location.map.php

18. ireland

ireland Active member

Bill Gates admits to Internet video piracy

It doesn't count if it is me

By Nick Farrell: Friday 23 June 2006, 09:12
    MICROSOFT'S abdicating ruler, Sir William Gates III, has admitted to a nefarious underworld life of watching pirated videos.

In a long interview with the Wall Street Journal, Gates admitted to like watching pirated movies on YouTube.

The interview went thus:
    Hack: You watch physics lectures and Harlem Globetrotters [on YouTube]?

Gates: This social-networking thing takes you to crazy places.

Hack: But those were stolen, correct?

Gates: Stolen's a strong word. It's copyrighted content that the owner wasn't paid for. So yes.

Opps. So if you get caught with a copy of a pirated version of Windows XP, Bill seems to be suggesting that 'stolen' would be a strong word for what you have.

Either that, or Bill considers the software and movie industry's stance on pirated material is a bit harsh when it is applied to an individual. µ

L’Inq
    WSJ
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32599

19. ireland

ireland Active member

Torrentspy names alleged MPAA hacker

By Greg Sandoval
    Published: June 22, 2006, 6:10 PM PDT

A month after accusing the Motion Picture Association of America of conspiring to commit data theft, the operators of a file search engine presented more details regarding the alleged relationship between the MPAA and a man who admits hacking the small company's network.

Valence Media, the parent company of Torrentspy.com, charges that the MPAA paid the Canadian resident $15,000 for information on Torrentspy and its executives, according to documents filed Thursday with the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles.

"I contacted (the MPAA) and offered to provide it information regarding (Torrentspy.com founder) Justin Bunnell and Torrentspy," according to a signed statement by Robert Anderson, the man identified elsewhere in the filing as a "hacker."

Among the claims by Valence Media is that as part of its attempt to gather information on Torrentspy, the MPAA hired private investigators to comb the trash cans of Torrentspy executives. Valence Media obtained this information from Anderson, who for undisclosed reasons has agreed to help the company against the MPAA, according to copy of the suit obtained by CNET News.com. Valence Media has asked a judge to order the MPAA to turn over the information taken by Anderson and to identify anyone that the MPAA may have shared it with.

This is the latest volley in a legal battle that began in February, when the MPAA sued Torrentspy and other directories that it accuses of contributing to the theft of copyright movies. Some file sharers use search engines, such as Torrentspy, to locate downloadable movies. The MPAA has aggressively pursued those accused of distributing copyright material, as well as directories that the MPAA says are abetting piracy.

An MPAA spokeswoman did not immediately return phone calls, but the association issued a broad denial to Torrentspy's initial charges.

Valence Media charged in its suit that on June 10, 2005, MPAA executives met with Anderson, a resident of Vancouver, Canada. Dean Garfield, the MPAA's director of legal affairs, was among the association's representatives who agreed to pay Anderson $15,000 to obtain private e-mails, financial and technology information, according to the court documents. Garfield could not be immediately reached for comment.

An MPAA executive told Anderson: "We don't care how you get it," Valence Media alleges in the court documents.

Anderson, who could not be immediately reached for comment, was successful at breaching Torrentspy's computer system, Valence Media alleges. By rigging Torrentspy's e-mail system, Anderson received copies of company e-mail as soon as they were sent or received, as well as important login information, according to the suit. This allowed him broad access to company data, Valence Media claims.

The company's suit said Anderson managed to pilfer a spreadsheet of company earnings and expenses, indexes of file architecture, screen shots of proprietary search functions and even a utility bill belonging to one Torrentspy executive.

In July 2005, the MPAA reviewed Anderson's work and wired $15,000 to a Toronto-based bank account, according to the court documents.

Sometime after, Anderson had a change of heart, according to a signed statement by Anderson that was included in the court filing. In fact, Anderson was actually acquainted with Bunnell. He had done some marketing work for another company associated with Bunnell, Anderson said in his statement, but his relationship with the Torrentspy founder apparently ended acrimoniously in April 2005.

"After our business relationship ended, I was upset with Justin Bunnell," Anderson said in the statement. He then contacted the MPAA and offered to retrieve information on Torrentspy executives including Bunnell, as well as other Torrent file search engines.

Anderson has provided a written agreement signed by an MPAA executive and other documentation related to Anderson being hired to gather information on Torrentspy and its executives, said Ira Rothken, Valence Media's attorney.

Also included in the filing is a copy of the alleged contract that was signed by Anderson and MPAA executives. Some of the information filed with the court was obscured, including names. Rothken said the names of Anderson and MPAA executives can be found on the original contract.

The purported contract includes a paragraph calling for the gathering of information on other peer-to-peer companies and torrent directories at odds with the MPAA, including The Pirate Bay, eXeem and Mininova.

Importantly, the contract specifies that the MPAA expected information to be obtained through legal means.

Such statements won't save the MPAA from liability in this case, argued Rothken. "There's an irony that they could put a clause into a contact and that would allow them to turn a blind eye to hiring a hacker," Rothken said. "There's no magical term that lets them off the hook."

Valence Media's latest filing, which asks for unspecified damages, comes after the company and the MPAA met over a 10-day period to discuss turning over whatever Anderson had provided the trade association, according to the lawsuit. The talks were unsuccessful, Rothken said.

It's unclear what prompted Anderson to cooperate with Torrentspy and risk possible criminal prosecution. "The only person that would know the precise answer to that is him," Rothken said. "We believe that he broke the law in a serious manner...we're encouraged that after making a big mistake he's now mitigating his wrongdoing by providing information about things he did so we can take remedial action against the MPAA."

http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6087146.html?part=rss&tag=6087146&subj=news

20. ireland

ireland Active member

rip off time buy a ipood that blinks at you..

If Lights Blink on Your iPod Shuffle, It Could Be Bad News

Some owners search for help after Apple USB music players flash alternating LEDs and then die.

Stuart J. Johnston, PC World
    Thursday, June 22, 2006

If you believe the results of one survey this spring, Apple's iPods are now more popular than beer on college campuses.

But for Clayton Hunniford, that beer has gone flat. The Vancouver, British Columbia, college student is working on his fifth iPod Shuffle. The four previous ones all died. Two failed with one very conspicuous symptom--what he calls "the flashing orange and green lights of death." Often when that happens, the Shuffle never plays again.

And Hunniford is not alone. A single topic on Apple's iPod Shuffle support forum has garnered more than 36,000 visits since late October, according to statistics posted on the forum index page. Dubbed "Green and Orange flashing lights," the thread stretches on for more than 550 posts.

Flashing green and amber lights on the popular gum-pack-size music player indicate that a generic "error" has occurred, according to Apple's documentation. But most of the problem-related posts on the Apple forum are from people whose Shuffles have suddenly died with the same symptoms as Hunniford's.

Unexpected

"It just happened out of nowhere," says Hunniford, a physics student at Simon Fraser University. Instead of his favorite songs, he got the alternating green and amber LEDs flashing on the front of his Shuffle when he pressed any button. The unit had worked the moment before, he says.

go here to read it all
    http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,126146,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.