1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*HOT* Tech News And Downloads, I Would Read This Thread And Post Any Good Info

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

Milk humor does a body good
    August 5, 2006 3:25 PM PDT

Customer product reviews might seem an unlikely source for online humor, but BoingBoing pointed us to these snarky reviewers (thanks to ytmnd.com) who have some funny things to say about Amazon.com's 128-ounce jug of Tuscan Grade A milk.

Here are a few sample reviews:

"Amazing" from John Spuler: "This milk was amazing. Upon my first sip, I felt a spiritual uplifting. A new outlook on religion, life, everything. I began walking with springs in my shoes; metaphorically, of course. It was a new life for me. This milk had reincarnated the dead, old me, who once enjoyed life. Now I know what it feels like to be a religious zombie."

"Al Gore approved" from "a kid's review": "I ran out of gas the other day while driving my wife to the dentist to get her teeth fixed. Luckily, I had a gallon of Tuscan Whole Milk in the back. I opened up the bottle and let er' flow into the tank. Sure as my wife is toothless, the car got me to the dentist and back. I now use it as my primary fuel source. This milk can also be used to lube your car in a pinch; it's thick, creamy greatness lubes my cylinders very nicely."

"WARNING!!!" from Odin S: "This product seems to have severe compatibility issues with laughing as on two different occasions it has come out of my nose instead of going down my throat during laughter! Be smarter than me and wait for the first service pack before buying!"

Posted by Michelle Meyers

2. ireland

ireland Active member

Ultimate List of Free Windows Software from Microsoft
    Microsoft has over 150 FREE Windows Programs available for download -- but finding them all is extremely difficult. Until now, thanks to the Road to Know Where!

COPY AND PASTE THIS IN YOUR BROWSER
    http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!70F64BC910C9F7F3!1231.entry

QuickTime Alternative (QT7) 1.73
    Posted by: soxrocker on August 02, 2006 12:02 PM
    ..For those who hate QuickTime like me...here ya go..

QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files without having to install the official QuickTime Player. All QuickTime formats.

FileForum download
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/QuickTime_Alternative_QT7/1049831315/1

QuickTime Alternative (QT7) 1.73
    Publisher's Description:

QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files without having to install the official QuickTime Player. All QuickTime formats (.mov .qt .3gp etc.) are supported, including streaming content and QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages. Some advantages compared to QuickTime player are the quick and easy install, make an unattended installation, no background processes, use a player of your own choice, low on resources, and smaller size.

Based on Quicktime 7.

QuickTime Alternative has the following other editions available: QuickTime Alternative (QT6).
    Latest Changes:

* Fixed opening .mov files (not embedded in html) in Internet Explorer

Download Now
    File Size: 12,690 KB
    Add to Download Cart
    Released: August 2, 2006
    Publisher: KL Software
    Homepage: QuickTime Alternative (QT7)
    Downloads: 764,162
    License: Freeware
    OS Support: Windows 2000/2003/XP
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/QuickTime_Alternative_QT7/1049831315/1

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Deal of the day: Seagate Barracuda hard drive for $90
    August 5, 2006 12:19 PM PDT

This hard drive offers great features for its relatively inexpensive price point. And it's an even better deal on sale at Newegg this weekend. A coupon code takes an additional $5 off and shipping is free.
    Barracuda

What: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB standard hard disk drive.
    How much: $89.99 after applying $5 coupon code, "buybarracuda"
    Shipping: free
    Where: Newegg.com (via Techbargains)
    When: Through this weekend only
    Click here for product overview.
    Posted by CNET News.com Staff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140&ATT=22-148-140&CMP=OTC-C173T

4. ireland

ireland Active member

FREE SPELL.......... FreeSpell is a spell checker for any and all Windows applications. You can use it in Eudora, in Microsoft Outlook, Firefox, Visual C++, and even in Windows Explorer when renaming files (though it's a little tricky to do that). In fact, anything that supports the clipboard supports FreeSpell, and all it takes is a hotkey to invoke it. Just as important, FreeSpell is based upon the Aspell engine, which means it offers the best spell checker around for people with weak spelling skills (as well for people who just need a quick proofread). Aspell is full featured as well, with a large default dictionary, and custom dictionary support.....(free).....GO THERE!

http://hcidesign.com/

FreeSpell 4.2 is now available. It features improved compatibility with Firefox/Thunderbird/Mozilla, and other user-interface improvements. Also available in the same download is a demo version of ProSpell, which provides a modern mouse/GUI interface instead of the character-mode interface used by FreeSpell.

GO HERE TO DOWNLOAD
    http://hcidesign.com/

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hello ireland.. ;-) Nice break? Aspell is really cool, but I don't trust multisupport/crossplatform plugins for browsers. One little thing having just tested it.. It's American spelling..sorry, I'm not a Yank.. I use English..lol.

6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Good morning all, first cup of coffee I can use a little caffeine high today got the Monday morning drags. However, I am happy about one thing and that is I finally found a program that will convert my DRM protected audiobooks. I am able to dl audiobooks from my local library and was able to burn them to CD/MP3 Player. A few months ago some of publishers stopped all that and you could only listen to them on your PC. Like I really carry that around in the car. They were in WMA format, so I could not get the protection of unless I wanted to rerecord. Considering some of those books have 14/15 parts to them it was not an option. But found a little program that someone talked about in a thread called SoundTaxi and it converted them right over to MP3, now my trips to work won't be boring again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

And I am enjoying my usual large iced coffee but I can't seem to stop laughing and I'm afraid of aspirating my coffee:

Every monday morning, we have someone come in to write resumes for clients (CVs for our British friends). Well I have accidentally set her up with an appointment to write a resume for a guy with multiple personality disorder and who doesn't seem to stay in any one reality for more than five mins. First he's a Ph.D. in whatever, next he's an undercover operative for the CIA attached to the US Senate. Whenever I walk past the room, the resume writers eyes just follow me and those eyes are all aglow with rage. Oh well.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

You are an evil man gerry.. LMAO!!

9. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning all...

LimeWire in court: one thing leads to another

8/6/2006 7:13:02 PM, by Ken Fisher

Observe the indigenous RIAA in its native environment. Fresh off a kill, its thoughts to turn immediately to its next meal... thus the woolly tusked RIAA embodies the cycle of life.

And so it begins again. Just days after Kazaa settled with the MPAA, the International Federation of Phonographic Industries (IFPI), and the RIAA, the music labels are after another P2P application: LimeWire. Labels owned by studio giants Universal Music, Sony BMG, EMI, and Warner Music Group filed suit against Lime Wire LLC in Manhattan on Friday.

The suit alleges that Lime Wire LLC facilitates the illegal sharing of music on its P2P network. Furthermore, drawing on arguments from the infamous MGM vs. Grokster decision at the Supreme Court, the suit also charges Lime Wire with failing to make any material attempt to stop piracy on its network

go here to read the rest of the article
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060806-7431.html

10. ireland

ireland Active member

Age of computing: The PC turns 25

Dell reflects on 25 years of PCs

By Tom Krazit
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    August 7, 2006 4:00 AM PT

The man who founded the world's largest PC company thinks the best is still to come after a quarter-century of the IBM PC.

Twenty-five years have passed since IBM launched its version of the personal computer. Apple may have captured the attention of early computer hobbyists with its first products, but IBM's PC made the business world sit up and realize that personal computers could be much more than toys.

Michael Dell started off using PCs to create homework shortcuts, the way many young people at the time discovered the new devices. Few people, including Dell's parents, realized exactly how large the potential was for the personal computer. More than 20 years after he founded PC's Limited, he admits his parents never quite embraced his decision to leave the University of Texas at Austin to start the company that would eventually bear his name and record $56 billion in revenue during its last fiscal year.
    Michael Dell
    Michael Dell
    As the PC industry looks back on 25 years of growth and success, CNET News.com spoke to Dell about his early experiences with the PC, the factors that led to its rapid acceptance among home and business users, and the future of the device. Here are excerpts from that conversation, and videos can be found on the right side of the page.

Can you start off by telling me a little bit about what your first-ever PC was?
    When I was in junior high school, I started playing around with--at the time they were RadioShack PCs--so they were the first PCs that I was able to play around with.

Do you remember how much that cost or what the specifications were?
    They were probably $800 or something like that, not super expensive and not very powerful either. They had cassette drives instead of hard-disk drives. It was even before the floppy disks. (I'd) largely do programming with Basic. I was kind of fascinated with the computing power and what that could do and what that would mean. It was just an enchanting device for me.

What were you doing with it? Were you playing simple games or...?
    Just my math homework, playing around writing programs. (I was) just fascinated with the machine that could do so many computations so quickly. At the beginning of the genesis of the PC industry, it seemed like there was going to be a lot of excitement with the device like this, as it went into medicine and business and education and entertainment. Of course, nobody knew exactly what would happen, but it was a very exciting time.

When do you think you realized that this device was going to go from more of a niche device to something that almost everyone would have at some point?
    "That original PC in 1981 was certainly a pivotal moment because it caused this ecosystem to start to flourish and allowed all sorts of companies to participate..."

go here to read the total article
    http://news.com.com/2009-1042_3-6099132.html?part=rss&tag=6099132&subj=news

11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Too bad Dell has the world's lousiest support, you can't get beyond the Bombay techs. If it isn't in the manual they are stumped....but unless your Dell is falling apart they won't move you up the food chain.

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

HP is certainly no better. I bought the extended warranty and my hard drive died. First they tell me I didn't get the extended warranty ... faxing it to them once wasn't good enough; I ended up faxing it to them three times. Then they tried to tell me that I only bought phone tech support for three years ... not the computer itself...more faxing underlining the important bits. Only when I started phoning their headquaters in CA and raising serious stink did I get my warranty honored and again, only after more faxing. My guess is they give everyone the run around to save themselves from having to pay out on the warranty you bought. They probably tell everyone they never bought it and if you can't prove it and fax every scrap of paper they sent you initially, you're screwed. Fortunately, I throw nothing away.

13. ireland

ireland Active member

arniebear
    in 1981 i was working for RCA in the bread board design dept.on computers..
    at that time we were all programmers.....and playing pong....
    and we later on had our own internet of about 25 of us..
    started working for RCA in 1961......

14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

My son-in-law just bought a new HP for my daughter. It has the AMD dual core and it is the slowest, I thought they were supposed to be fast. BB gave them the free HP printer with the comp and she could not get the printer to install, called HP and they said it was because it was an older printer and their comps come preloaded with newer drivers that conflict. My daughter said she spent an hour and a half on the phone finally got it installed, but it only half works. You would think HP comps would work with HP printers no matter how old they are.

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@ireland

You must have been a mere youngster :)

16. ireland

ireland Active member

arniebear
    In 1961 i just got out of the us army after serving 4 years..
    so ye almost know me age..by the way yesterday was me birthday.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  17. arniebear

arniebear Active member

In 1961 I was just in seventh grade, lol, and just discovering girls :eek:

Anyways this is belated but.............

[​IMG]

18. ireland

ireland Active member

thank ye arniebear

CDRWIN 6.1.1.0 released

Posted by Dan Bell on 07 August 2006 - 14:39 - Source: CDRWIN
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13779
    JackiRipper2000 used our news submit to tell us that a newer version of CDRWin 6.1.1.0 is released. This company has provided a very easy user interface that allows you to perform nearly any burning task in just a few clicks.

Key features are:

* Secure and save recording of redbook compatible Audio-CDs and Data CD/DVDs.
    * Support for CD-Text, CD+G, CD-I, Mixed Mode, CD-Extra, Bootable-CDs and the audio formats Wave, WMA and MP3.
    * Support for recording of cue sheets (*.cue files)
    * Powerfull copy engine for several formats like Audio-, data, video, mixed-mode, CD-Extra or game discs.
    * Support for 99min CD-R media.
    * Support for ISO9660, Joliet and UDF (with ISO9660 bridge for Video-DVDs) file format
    * Support for Disc-At-Once, Session-At-Once and Track-At-Once recording
    * Support for various buffer underrun protections
    * Internal powerfull caching system

For more information and a trial download, please visit the CDRWIN homepage.

go here
    http://www.engelmann.com/?file=Cdrwin&lang=english

19. ireland

ireland Active member

Warner and Apple close to iTunes DVD extras agreement
    Posted by Dan Bell on 07 August 2006 - 14:56 - Source: Macworld

According to Macworld, Warner Pictures and Apple are hammering out an intriguing plan to provide music DVDs loaded with extras, including iTunes versions of the songs. The Wall Street Journal explains that the two companies are very close to an agreement that would allow Warner to produce the DVDs while Apple would provide the FairPlay protected tracks to be placed on the discs.

The report goes on to say that some of the extras will include videos, ringtones and images as well. The original article from the Wall Street Journal, is available here, but requires a subscription.

20. ireland

ireland Active member

original story

Circuit City Copying DVDs

Apparently no one told Circuit City that ripping DVDs is a violation of the DMCA, let alone charging for it.

Fair Use advocates, take notice. Circuit City is apparently putting its neck on the line to provide customers with DVD transfer services. The company is offering a "DVD video transfer service" that for all intents and purposes is illegal. The company will take commercial DVDs and rip them for use on portable devices for $10 for 1 DVD, $20 for 3 DVDs or $30 for 5 DVDs. That is, until their legal department hears what's happening.

*EDIT* Thanks to Paul Driver I did some further digging and found this piece that states that the above is false.

The sign is incorrect and not authorized and we are in the process of making sure the sign is removed
    http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjA1MjMsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Circuit City Clarification.

Yesterday we talked about the practice of Circuit City copying DVD’s for customers. We let you know about the original story and the subsequent debunking, but today I received an email from a CC employee that could help shed some light on the situation. I’m going to share a bit for the sake of clarification.

For us to copy something it MUST NOT be copyrighted. Or if it is copyrighted, you must OWN the copyright to that work (ha, yea right... so basically no copyrighted stuff). So bring in all the home movies on VHS or camcorder tape you want, and we will put it on DVD. If you bring in a VHS movie of say... "Independance Day" (the blockbuster hit movie), we will not copy it, but, bring in your uncle bob's wedding, sure!
    http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjA1NDQsLCwsLCwx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.