1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

doesnt the aid disk over write the exsisting softmod? it says it reformats c: no?

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

If you can reformat C and E drive, you will not have problem.

If you dont reformat C and E drive, you will get problems.

3. domyue

domyue Member

Hi,

Thanks for this tutorial, it was really useful but I didnt manage to get it working.

I deleted my whole xbox HD after a failed mod (somehow) and I've been getting certain errors...the latest one is error 16. Now I've tried to fix it using your method and it didnt work.

So I tried using XboxHDM and placing the files from "mhackxbox" file to the appropriate folders in XboxHDM. The process runs completely fine (hotswapped and run the XboxHDM til the end). But I've still got the error 16.

I've also tried using the backup files from "mhackxbox" as my original (clean) xbox files. I assumed they were right as they added up to 189,600 KB which is what some people say it adds up to. Still error 16.

This error I've been having for the past couple of months now and its really driving me up the wall!! Could you please help me with this thing??

Thanks so much!

4. domyue

domyue Member

Oh btw, to add to my above message - I don't have an eeprom. (I backed one up but then consequently deleted it by wiping HDs)

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Hotswap with xboxhdm works which mean you can also do hotswap with xplorer360.

Are you sure that you copied mhackxbox files to xbox's hdd when you do hotswap with xboxhdm?

If you didn't install files correctly, you still have error 16.

You can try this by the way but first download all versions of xplorer360.
    - config xbox as normal. then disconnect ide cable from dvd drive. Turn on xbox to see if you get the error 12?
    - If you get the error 12, leave xbox like THIS. turn off xbox.
    - Now you are ready to do hotswap with xplorer360.
    - turn on xbox disconnect ide cable from xbox's hd when error 12 shown up.
    - connect to PC per my tut.
    - open one by one xplorer360 to read the xbox's hdd. One of them should read the hdd.
    - then you can follow my to copy mhackxbox files to xbox's hdd.

6. domyue

domyue Member

I'm sure I did it right because I tried XboxHDM twice - once with mhackxbox files and the other time with original xbox files.

The problem is that I can't get my PC to recognise the harddrive. My opening screen shows the PC manufacturer and I can't change that even in BIOS. Therefore I don't know exactly when to pause and swap the cables (there's no opening dos-like screens).

1) Is it possible to pause it as SOON as I switch on the PC??
    2) Is it possible to swap somehow whilst in windows??
    3) I've got my primary drive as a SATA...but bios seems to sometimes pick this up as a primary IDE somehow. Using the secondary IDE makes the PC detect a "SCSI device"...so evidently it's not picking up the harddrive.

Help greatly appreciated!

7. pastlog

pastlog Member

i did back up the eeprom before i locked it and i unlocked it to install the files because it wouldnt let me otherwise.

8. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

do you build this PC? does any device connect to IDE port on PC as normal use?

well follow the IDE cable on PC, YOu should see 2 IDE slots on motherboard.

If you have a SATA motherboard, you may see only 1 IDE slot.

Now you have the PC's hdd is SATA so it connects to SATA port. The IDE slot should be connect to xbox's when you do hotswap.

So goto Bios setup and make sure you ENABLE all IDE ports

so let do this:
    - PC's hdd connects to SATA port
    - Remove all devices on IDE cables
    -turn on PC and log on the windows
    -open Device Manager to read the hdd. This time you only see the PC's hdd. Now goto xbox and do hotswap
    - Connect xbox's hdd to ide cable on PC. Do not power off the xbox.
    - Go back to Devive Manager on PC. Scan for a new drive. Then check the hdd device. You should see 2 hdds now.
    - if you don't see 2 hdds, check your settings in bios.
    -if you see 2 hdd, open xplorer360 to read the xbox's hdd

9. ufo59

ufo59 Member

Hey Mr.TheReturn :)
    My xbox has the error 16 that goes to 12 when dvd cable unpluggeg.
    It doesn't show the white Microsoft logo under the X, when using simple error fix 16 or any fix for that matter my PC doesn't see the Xbox HDD. Please, help me, I am spending a lifetime on this problem. I need your pro tech advise. Thank you!

10. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

did you do hotswap before? do you know there are 2 IDE slots on the motherboard? one is Primary and one is Secondary.

download all versions of xplorer360, ms dashboard, mhackxbox.

Ok do this:
    - On PC, pc's hdd connect to Primary IDE. Remove all devices on Secondary IDE. turn on PC and log on windows.
    - ON Xbox, connect xbox as normal. Disconnect IDE cable from DVD drive.
    - now turn on xbox, disconnect IDE cable from hdd when error 12 shown up. Leave xbox power on.
    - connect xbox's hdd to Secondary ide cable on PC
    - open Device Manager to scan for a new hdd. YOu should see xbox's hdd there.
    - open one by one xplorer360 to read xbox's hdd.

If you can not read the hdd, connect xbox's hdd back to xbox. Power down the xbox.
    - redo hotswap. This time disconnect IDE cable from xbox's hdd just before error 12 shown up.

if you can read the xbox's hdd, follow my tut to copy files.

11. ufo59

ufo59 Member

First of all, thank you for taking your time to help someone you don't even know, you and guys like you are what's great about an internet :)
    did you do hotswap before? do you know there are 2 IDE slots on the motherboard? one is Primary and one is Secondary.
    I never did hotswap before but I know my way around computers :)
    download all versions of xplorer360, ms dashboard, mhackxbox.
    did that, thank you

Ok do this:
    - On PC, pc's hdd connect to Primary IDE. Remove all devices on Secondary IDE. turn on PC and log on windows.
    did that
    - ON Xbox, connect xbox as normal. Disconnect IDE cable from DVD drive. Done
    - now turn on xbox, disconnect IDE cable from hdd when error 12 shown up. Leave xbox power on. Done
    - connect xbox's hdd to Secondary ide cable on PC Done
    - open Device Manager to scan for a new hdd. YOu should see xbox's hdd there. I don't see it

I tried it so many time, different ways and no matter what, can't seem to see it on PC. I read your tut few times, read all these pages and I still can't figure out why it doesn't show. Thank you for your help!

- open one by one xplorer360 to read xbox's hdd.

If you can not read the hdd, connect xbox's hdd back to xbox. Power down the xbox.
    - redo hotswap. This time disconnect IDE cable from xbox's hdd just before error 12 shown up.

if you can read the xbox's hdd, follow my tut to copy files.

12. trav_555

trav_555 Member

hey the return id like to add another thing i had 3 ide ports one 4 cd one 4 hdd nd one 4 floppy i had to unplug both the floppy and the cd and use the cd ide one before it would work

just thought id let ya know

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@ufo59

Can you give more details how the connections in PC after you connected xbox's hdd to PC? What connects to Primary cable and Secondary cable.

did you enable the Secondary slot in bios setting?

@trav_555
    well there are 2 IDE slots (primary and secondary) on motherboard. So 2 ide cables connect there. On each IDE cable has 2 connectors.

You may have the smaller slot on motherboard that is for floppy disk drive.

14. ufo59

ufo59 Member

Can you give more details how the connections in PC after you connected xbox's hdd to PC? What connects to Primary cable and Secondary cable.
    did you enable the Secondary slot in bios setting?

Primary IDE = PC HDD, jumper on CS or Master
    Secondary IDE = Xbox HDD, jumper on CS or Master
    Bios Secondary slot enabled in Bios (if PC runs as PC it always shows all drives on primary and secondary - so I am assuming it is)
    Still, no matter what I do, xbox hdd is a no show. Once again, if the xbox hdd was not working it would give a different error, wouldn't it? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yep if your hdd is totally dead, you could have error 16 too.

16. ufo59

ufo59 Member

and that would explain why it doesn't show up on my PC, doesn't it?
    So, what would be my next option besides buying a mod chip. Any suggestions? Thank you!

17. ufo59

ufo59 Member

Besides this one, I can get a hold of one that is softmoded and possibly one that has a modchip but would not be able to take the mod chip out and put it in mine... I am all ears :)

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yep, you can pull out the modchip on other box and install into this broken one.

But you have to check to see the version of 2 xboxes are the same or not. You install modchip differently on each version of xbox.

19. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

If you can't pull out the modchip, you need the eeprom reader.

20. ufo59

ufo59 Member

I can't take the modchip out, it is not my xbox and it looks like I can't use the softmoded one in anyway to help the broken one, so it will be the BUY mod chip way. Either way, thank you so much for all your replies! Appreciate it!