1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. 2mystuff2

2mystuff2 Member

hey CrazyGrun do you still have the files??

if you do would you be kind enough to upload the plz
    =)

2. Crackh34d

Crackh34d Member

I just screwed up a softmod and have Error 14.

I am pretty new to this, but is it possible to put my hard drive in a friends xbox with modchip, use auto installer deluxe on it(using modchip single click install) and then FTP to the xbox to copy the contents of mhackxbox.rar tot the appropriate partitions? And afterwards put the hard drive back in my xbox. Will this work?
    I have no backup whatsoever.

Also, I don't get the microsoft logo.

And last, is it possible (if above won't work) to save my xbox by buying a modchip?

Thanks in advance

3. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

HI EVERYONE
    I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND I AM HOPING THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS ONE. I HAVE ERROR 21 ON MY XBOX HDD.IT WAS SOFTMODDED BUT NO LONGER.MY XBOX WILL PLAY GAMES,BUT WON'T LOAD UP THE DASHBOARD THE MS LOGO COMES UP AND THEN ERROR 21 I HAVE SLAYERS 2.7 BUT IT WON'T ACCEPT THE DISC.I HAVE 3 XBOXS 1 WITH ERROR 06 WHICH I DIDN'T REALISE AND I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED WITH YOU GUYS FIRST BEFORE UNLOCKING THE DRIVE AND THEN TURNING OFF THE XBOX. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS PUT A BIGGER HDD IN THE THING
    PLEASE COULD SOMEONE HELP ME?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

onehanded - Hi and welcome to our humble abode, but please would you mind turning down the volume ie please stop abusing that poor CAPS LOCK button.
    Have you read thru the beginning of this thread, for the error 21, can't even remember what that one means myself..

5. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

sorry about the big c,I didn't realise I was too much tied up in my head on what I had done to those poor xboxs.See the thing is,the error 21 I have had before and Igot rid of it with slayers 2.7 by restoring the dashboard,but this time it hasn't soughted it this time.

6. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

sory about repeating myself its hard trying to type with 3 kids breathing down my earhole.I have an eeprom reader coming hopefully tomoz with instructions,but I am not convinced its gonna sought out my error 06

7. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

the other thing is I have been looking at this site quite alot recently and it beats the absoulute hell outta me how you guys work all this out.I modded 2 ps2 consoles a couple of weeks ago with 160gb hdd in them,so I thought I would try it out on the kids xbox.
    All I wanted to do was put a bigger hdd into it.Now I have got an xbox crystal which I am just going to soft mod and I was looking for the easiest way to put the hdd in I have ftp software I just need some help with making sure I don't screw this one up for the kids.
    Any help would be appreciated.Ioriginally thought that because xbox was microsoft which is a p.c kind of thing that Iwould have conquered this by now.Ihave been trying to figure this out.what a nightmare

8. creaky

Here's a few of the best links for softmodding from one of our stickies -

HOW TO: Softmod Correctly: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558747

Xbox Software: Download Here!!!: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450 - this one has my own first softmodding attempts up top of page 2. I was an xbox noob just over a year ago (still am in most things xbox) but i detailed some of my experiences there..

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial): http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

9. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

CREAKY
    you know about files c and e.what I have got in front of me god bless him,is my dads hardmodded xbox which will to a certain extent will accept any hdd.Ihave a 160gb hdd full of games which will work in the hard modded one.could I not ftp the files c and e from the hardmodded one over to the softmodded one then,Iam only assuming that the 160gb should work in the softmodded xbox.Please forgive me if I am wrong,it was just a theory,providing that I back it all up.

10. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

CREAKY
    thanks for the links

11. creaky

Swapping hard drives into a hardmodded box can be easy, but as to softmodding, you MUST get hold of the eeprom.bin from the stock hard drive in the non-hardmodded xbox BEFORE messing with it too much. Have a look thru the 1st link i posted..

12. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

please correct me if I am wrong,but if I ftp from the stock hdd to my p.c and look in drive c and E, the eeprom file I think is in there as a bin file.can I overwrite the eeprom file on to my 160gb so then it would marry up with my softmodded xbox?

13. creaky

You need to slow down a bit :) :)

..you need to softmod a stock xbox before being able to access it's eeprom.bin, then you can go about swapping the hard drive.
    The good thing about softmods is that you can back them out and restore the xbox to stock very easily. But you really need to read thru those links a bit. What's very important is not losing the eeprom.bin for a stock drive.
    What i do is softmod a machine, then save it's eeprom.bin to a save area on my pc, then i either return the hard drive to stock or leave it softmodded (if i'm putting a bigger hard drive in i mean); if a bigger hard drives goes in i always put the original hard drive away safely, just as an extra backup. I have all the eeprom.bins for my various boxes plus all required xbox programs & utilities in a save area on my pc and a copy of those in a USB2.0 hard drive.
    I only put bigger hard drives in a few xboxes, the rest are used purely to access movies and music across the network.

As to a hardmodded xbox it's in some ways easier to swap a hard drive, but again you need to know what you're doing first. I've softmodded (including backing out) and swapped hard drives quite a few times and i also have a couple of chipped xboxes, but i haven't messed with chipped xboxes (hardly) enough to guide you more.

As i say, read thru those links for the softmodding, i can help you with the softmodding side of things fairly well, but the hardmodding might need some other guys/girls here who are much better experienced with those.

edited for atrocious spelling mistakes

14. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

CREAKY
    I also made a usb pad for the p.c.I also have linux on a disc tried and tested just in case.The mech assault one was easy once you get the action replay provided you pick the right linux.the thing is the software is out there I just really need your help to use it. Ihave I think all the files fron 3 differnt xboxs on my p.c I have been able to get the files off this site,which is absoulutley great.You already have been great help,and I really do appreciate your help
    What I am hoping to do is softmod my crystal and be able to fix these other 3 that I F----D up. I know I sound persistant but I do really need your help

15. creaky

Tell you what, to save us taking this thread off track too much, why don't you start a new thread in the relevant xbox forum then reply to this one with a link for your thread, then we can go thru it in more detail in there.
    Also have a read thru this - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/557450/3558187 it's a step by step of my first attempt at softmodding. Some steps won't necessarily be relevant to you but it's fairly basic but detailed at the same time..

16. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

can any 1 tell the first step in how to retrieve my xboxs eeprom ?

17. dummyfile

dummyfile Guest

*sigh* Hello. I was spring cleaning my Xbox like a moron, and now it gives me error code 21. :( On my computer, I have SATA hard drives and SATA optical drives. I have been trying to hotswap my Xbox's IDE cable with one that I've hooked up to the secondary IDE.

Checklist:
    - I do have the Microsoft logo that shows under the Xbox before going into the error.
    - I have downloaded all necessary software like ms-dash-mik3h, TRF-Xbox Tools, mhackxbox, xplorer360v0.9b2, and Shademand's Ready Made Xbox SoftMod.

I have tried doing this both in and out of Windows and have tried these with and without a game in the drive, and I can't seem to get Xplorer360 to see my HDD to save my life. I have also tried going through error 12 by disabling the Xbox's DVD drive. I can't try the method of doing this while playing a game because I can't get it to play a game even (part 2 of my stupidity was using AID to restore apparently the wrong version of the MS dashboard).

Buying a used Xbox for $50 isn't even the issue anymore -- this has become personal. Why, oh why, can everyone else under the sun get the right? Please help me. If I've left out information that you wonderful folks need, please let me know and I'll respond as quickly as I possibly can. Thanks in advance!

e-village idiot,
    Dummyfile

18. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

can you run xbox hdm 1.9 on it? doing a hotswap ? do you have your eeprom ?

19. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

and im kinda sure it has to be hooked up to the primary IDE ... but i could be wrong ....

20. dummyfile

dummyfile Guest

@leeroy94: if you're talking to me, then I have the xboxhdm_v1.9 file but haven't done anything with it. Just kinda went on a wild downloading spree trying to get anything and everything that could possibly help. :eek:) Again, though...haven't used it. I do know that nothing I put in the DVD-ROM seems to get past that lovely error code 21.

As far as primary vs. secondary IDE, I was just trying to go by TheReturn's instructions where he says: