1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

The reason that I am mentioning this is because I read up on people asking about can you actually re-write the eeprom and it is possible,just that I have 160 gb hd waiting to go in but I still can't get my head around it properly yet.I have done the ps2 recently with 160gb in and I thought that this would be easier with it being microsoft based and being able to put data discs in that the xbox and the p.c can read.The other thing is I know it sounds stupid to some people,but can someone please explain what stock hardrive and virgin xbox is,as videos on youtube show using these items and maybe I am not seeing the wood for the trees.

2. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

Stock HD is the original xbox HD, I believe that is 10gb with 8gb accessible to the user. If your modding and just use this drive xboxhdm can back up the eeprom to the drive for u and that's that. I have never heard of a virgin xbox. I have never been able to mod an xbox that has an earlier manufacture date then 2002, all models new than that are fine. I have never seen a ps2 with a HD stock or modded, I have owned a chipped one. If you have the eeprom download xboxhdm from this site, I think you are trying to clone a drive and i fall way short on telling you how. Some drives have locking issues, I beleive that Seagate drives work the best for locking and unlocking. Sorry dude im lost now ....

3. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

Thanks for your help leeroy I will try the xboxhdm again ,and see how I go and let you know.

4. MickGrif

MickGrif Member

Hi great guide but I have a couple questions, sorry if there are noobish:
    1. Can I play backup games with this mod? And is it poosible to put them onto the xbox hdd or do I have to have them on disc?
    2. I cant seem to download the "mhackxbox.rar" file it keeps stopping at 12% done is there any where else I can get it from?

Thanks in advance

5. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

[noob warning]

Ok. So I got more than everything I need to do this. I read umpteen amounts of tuts and I am ready. But the one snag I have is unlocking the xbox HDD and getting it recognized by my pc.

I had to use an older pc cause the one I currently have my HDD runs on sata (4ports) and I have one primary ide channel , which is my cd/dvd drive. i wouldn't know if that would work or not (i'm using xplorer360) so that is why I am using a very old pc with some speed issues. It does not read the dirve at all and I restarted it with the xbox still hooked up to it and on the boot screen it says secondary ide hdd locked enter password 5 left. I take that to mean that it reads it but I did not do the hotswap right to unlock xbox.

I think I might not be getting the timing right. I've tried copying music from a cd and playing it for five minutes then swapping. I tried waiting for the ms logo to appear. I even tried disconnecting the xbox cd/dvd drive to get error 12, and nada. Please anyone help.
    Losing mind.

I'm not computer illiterate so I have some general knowlegde to get me through this but it is frustrating that I can't even get the damn thing unlocked.

Can anyone also let me know if I could use my pc that has a hdd that is on a sata channel with one ide port. Meaning that I should just go buy a sata cd dvd drive and then use hdm to do the mod. Disconneting my sata drive and booting the linux cd.

I'm not sure if that older pc is kosher. I have a keyboard that is usb and I can't use it when I boot the linux cd.

6. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

I bloody worked.

I used my pc with the hdd on sata and one ide channel.

I used the error 12 method. Unplugged the power and ide cable from xbox cd/dvd drive, waited till I saw the lights on the xbox go red and as soon as it does swap it quick.

Make sure your pc is paused. And make sure that the version of xplorer360 is recent. Or it will not respond.

I run on vista pro aswell didn't think it would work with that os but it does. This tut is the shit.

7. MickGrif

MickGrif Member

error code 01?? any idea how to fix this now my xbox wont turn on at all.

8. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

I wouldn't know how to help you there. I'm a newb myself.

Best advice I can give you is to search on google and try to find as much as you can about that error code and/or how to get your xbox to atleast turn on so you can be able to hotswap.

I've come to the conclusion that as long as you can get it to start up your good, as long as you haven't fucked it up in some other devastating way. There is always a fix out there, even if it costs yah. Can't seem to brake these things completely.

9. Terry135

Terry135 Member

please can you help me, my xbox keeps showin error 06. an d you haven't mentioned anything about error 06

10. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

This link should help you out. If not, my apologies, buy another box. Got mine for $60 modded it first try.

11. Terry135

Terry135 Member

Thank you very much thats a very good solution. But the fact is i don't know where to get a second 1 apart from buying 1. so it don't really suits me if ever any one knows how to repair this without a second one, it would be great . Thank you in advance.

12. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

Borrow a friends. Or see if this helps you any.

13. Terry135

Terry135 Member

Thanks a lot, it seems interesting i will try to work on it.

14. Llamanatr

Llamanatr Member

I tried doing this to softmod my xbox and everything seemed to work fine, but now when I turn on my xbox it will always ask for the time a date settings and after I do that it will go to the normal dashboard. Also the ring around the eject button is now red, but I don't get any errors.

15. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

Do you have a game or cd in the cd/dvd drive?

and does anyone have any idea how to do a hdd upgrade .. I tried using xboxhdm it does everything except install f drive and lock hdd, I got a 500g seagate HDD. is there another program I can use that can do the same as xboxhdm?

16. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

once the xbox boots after the first part of using xbox hdm u will then have an option to format f and g i too have a 500gb seagate drive and works great ! and u can also choose what color u want the ring on the power button to be ... mine glows with all the colors..... i do beleive that even unleash x dash board does formats on all the drives .... xboxhdm only does c e and f and anything over the 137gb will go to g ... u may find that most games will work regaurdless of the drive letter copyied to but a few games must be copied stright to c in order to work ... off the top of my head i can only think of 1 that must be kept on c and its nhl hits 2002 ......

17. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

i beleive that error code 1 is a hard drive error .... i have not had this happen to me ...

18. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

error code 1 (to 4) is (are) not displayed.... error code 1 is a bootloader problem, namely a motherboard error (source: the pdf file distributed with the sid5 installer).

19. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

i stand corrected ..... humm like i had said i have not had an error code 1 ... i have had error codes 12, 11 and 5 .... so for sure i know what causes thoes errors ... i try to help thats all ... with out this thread i would not have been able to mod my xbox :)

20. msmitchel

msmitchel Member

Thanks for the reply. But I have two xboxhdm boot discs. Ive tried both and it wont install f. when it asks me if I want to format f drive i type yes and it says killed after I press enter. when I got back to the main menu and try option 4 it says no memory error. I tried another drive thinking that it was maybe my hdd and it installed f but didn't lock it even though it said it did. when I put it into my xbox it gave me an error 6. I think my eeprom is wrong but after the mod I backed up my eeprom with unleash x and ftp'd everything to my pc. My stock hdd works fine its whats in it now my power button glows all three lights too.

Should I try to clone it and format f an g later with unleash? (i have xbmc right now.)