1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. alienandy

alienandy Guest

Oops. Sorry guys.. There's my answer..

2. jay77cujo

jay77cujo Member

after restoring my xbox to it's original state....i then softmodded as well with success but without any DVD playback.
    i even went out and bought the DVD playback kit and when i try to play a dvd it says "your dvd playback kit supports the wrong region"
    something of that matter.
    and i know it reads dvds because it did before. and i can copy dvds onto my xbox hdd but thats a hassle and dont have the space for it on my 8gb hdd.
    any suggestion as to how i can get my xbox to play dvds again??
    ive tried multi-region settings and NTSC which is my region. i don't know what i'm missing or doing wrong.
    thanks for any help.

3. nick27

nick27 Member

ive used this method a couple of time on different xboxs and the first time i didnt back up the eprom(i didnt know what it was and didnt want to brick it)and unlocked the hard drive ..big mistake i ended up buying a new xbox

4. aizen13

aizen13 Regular member

Im using windows 7 64, will xplorer 360 work?

5. mkicy

mkicy Member

Hey great tutorial, very helpful thanks, i just have one problem...

I have error 13 because i tried to change my dashboard from evox to unleashx but copied the wrong files to C:\ ...
    I think i managed to get the hotswapping part right as it shows up partitions 0,1,2,3,4,5 when i load it on xplorer360 BUT, when i go to delete anything or copy anything onto the HD it freezes up and stops working.. i can copy files from the HD but not too it, which really sucks because i need to copy over the correct dashboard files and put them in C:\ on the xbox HD

Can anybody help me with my problem please, i want to get my xbox working again asap. Thanks.

6. JCrickets

JCrickets Member

I followd the tutorial to the t I believe but when I plugged the HDD back in to the xbox I got error screen. So, I hooked it back up to the PC and went into explorer360 and partition 4 was gone. Any fix for this or anybody know what may have gone wrong?

7. CPAero

CPAero Member

Has anyone been able to hotswap using a usb external IDE enclosure with Vista?

I had it working with my old XP lappy, but that's gone now and I'm hoping to fix my bricked xbox from my Vista machine. I've tried the Run as Administrator and the XP Compatability Mode tricks with Xplorer360, but still can't find the Fatx drive. The WD driver does show up in Device Manager. I haven't yet tried Xport or Xploder.

..Any ideas??

By the way, for anyone hoping to learn to hotswap: if you can get a hold of an old usb external 3.5" HD enclosure, I very highly recommend hotswapping using that rather than your old PC's ide cable. Transfer speeds will be slower but it's much safer for your computer and you can hotswap from within XP (..and maybe Vista?? anyone??) without restarting or booting to some live CD (can also be dangerous for your PC).

8. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

Live CDS are not bad for your PC... That's almost like saying Linux is bad for a PC... real computing is done using Linux. I have done many hot swaps and never ruined a pc... I have ruined hard drives plugging them in without having the power cord disconnected from the PC. XBOXhdm worked great. I haven't tried the usb method.

9. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

AID has all the programs for a modded xbox included is x2 dongle free dvd player and xbox media center... also has ever emulator and more check it out i believe the last version was AIDv4.10

10. dynasty99

dynasty99 Member

Question, if someone can help please.

It says everywhere to unplug IDE cable from xbox AFTER 'microsoft' appears onscreen. Is there any time limit? do I have to unplug it before it comes to error screen? Because my error screen comes up probably about 0.3 seconds after 'microsoft' appears.

And do I have to plug the IDE cable from the PC into the xbox hdd quickly or anything of the like?

Thanks

11. JCrickets

JCrickets Member

You need to unplug the IDE cable from the XBOX somewhere in that 0.3 second time frame. Not sure if there is a time limit for plugging it into PC but just do it as fast as possible.

12. CPAero

CPAero Member

13. dynasty99

dynasty99 Member

success!
    thanks a bunch :)

14. JCrickets

JCrickets Member

cool. :D

15. gubbins

gubbins Member

Hey guys,

I'm struggling with the old hot swap...
    I'm fairly new to Xbox, but know my way round the inside of a pc fairly well..

I can't seem to get the xbox hdd to be recognised in my computer tho. I've tried the xbhdm/linux way and i've now been trying the xplorer360 way( both many many times!) but to no avail. I've read a lot of these forums and presumably the problem lies within the unlocking of the xbox hdd when swapping, and i think i may have tried every combination of that many times!

my xbox is stuck on an error 13 without a game and my pc uses sata for its hdd ( is this problematic)?
    i've tried the xbox as master on the primary ide and secondary.
    i've tried inducing the error 12,
    i've tried during gameplay (the dash no longer works)

Pc is a pentium 4, XP, phoenix bios..
    xbox is 2003 manufacture, original seagate hard drive.

Many thanks, g

16. JCrickets

JCrickets Member

You can use an old flash drive and plug it into you xbox by splicing a xbox controller female plug to a usb female plug. That way you won't have to hotswap and then mod the console with this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzNMF2IcYo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3ViUYLn00&feature=related

17. gubbins

gubbins Member

Is that the only way that will work in my situation? I've only just acquired the xbox, and don't fancy spending any money or wrecking the only controller i've got...

Does that technique work even tho the ms dash doesn't come up anymore?

Cheers man

18. JCrickets

JCrickets Member

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that you were getting an error when turning the xbox on. No, it won't work if you can't get the ms dash to come up. Sorry. Good luck man.