1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. varnish

varnish Member

glad I could help. i got up and running using the xboxhdm method too, though I had to use the hotswap to unlock the drive. I wish I would have gone that route to begin with...

2. rook74

rook74 Member

eh well thanks for the help return and everyone else. I thought I'd try the hotswap again a time or two tonight and on the second try the motherboard in my xbox blew so I guess my worries are over. I suppose I'll just try to find an emulator for my pc now to run all the xbox games I inherited with the box. Thanks for everyone's help.
    ROOK

3. Raymon117

Raymon117 Guest

Does this work under WinXP? When I tried this method my computer didn't recognize it
    and said something like SECONDARY HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND. I have all drives disconnected
    from the second IDE cable and the first IDE cable is only connected to the PC HD.

The program I'm supposed to use is Xplorer360 right? I also have the .net framework 2.0 installed.

Here are the steps I used:
    -----------------------------------------

1) Turned on PC, pressed Pause/Break key before it started loading XP.

2) Turned on X-box and when the little white microsoft letters showed at the bottom I unplugged the IDE
    cable from X-box's HD (on the right side facing the buttons correct?) and plugged my PC's SECONDARY IDE cable
    into the X-box HD.. (I tried a few times, once it went straight to service screen, and a couple times it froze, shouldn't it just stay on this screen?)

3) continued booting PC, the next sreen stated that it couldn't find the secondary hard drive
    but continued anyway.

4) opened xplorer360->drive->open->hard drive or memory card but it couldn't find.

Note::: I went into the device manager, but what am I looking for??? I also have no modchip
    my service number is 21 because I deleted the folders in E:

4. slimair

slimair Member

hey im having trouble here. I have service error 21. This xbox i bought someone deleted ms dash or something. I read tutor and did exactly what it said. The xbox hdd was connected to the secondary IDE cable. Now when I boot the computer device manager recognizes it but Xplorer360 does not. Keeps on saying cannot find fatx drive. After awhile it will just show the error while plugged into the computer. Please help if you have time

5. varnish

varnish Member

I used windows XP. I did not bother doing the PC reboot thing. That just too to long to know if I had successfully unlocked the drive. Once in windows, start the xbox with the drive connected. When the white Microsoft logo appears pull the IDE after "one-Mississippi", and then plug it into the secondary master of your PC. Then in device manager, right click on disk drivers, and choose scan for new hardware. I found I had to do this even if the drive already appears.

I could not get explorer 360 to ever see the drive, but othe programs could. FAT-X-Plorer would say if the drive is locked or detected. IF it said it was locked, I just unplugged the drive from PC, put it back in xbox, powered off xbox, then did the hot swap again, until FAT-X-Plorer could see the drive. In the end I used the xboxhdm method, ans non of the other tools were any good at reading and writing the drive. I did not know my hdd key, so I had to put in xboxhdm disk, boot the disk to the poin where it asked me what method I wanted to boot, then did the hot swap, then choose to boot to a console prompt. You will know the hot swap failed if you get spurios errors about hda whil booting.

~S

6. rook74

rook74 Member

Alright so now my box is just fraggin on me. I need to run down my hardware failure. Any of you guys ever seen any tut's on testing power supplies? Particularly V1.0. I can get my hands on a new board and hdd very cheap, but I need to test the psu first. Thanks guys.
    ROOK

7. PRwood

PRwood Guest

Alright Raymon and others with problems with your system not identifying your drive and an error 21 try this method beleive me I tried the boot and pause method dozens of times and it did not work for me and yet now im up and running again.

1. Boot PC normally to desktop "dont" pause/break during post.

2. Pull IDE off the Xbox ROM drive while the Xbox is powered off,
    now fire up your Xbox you should get an error 11 or 12.

3. Reboot Xbox pull IDE off harddrive a fraction of a second before it
    cuts to the error screen connect to secondary IDE on PC.

4. Run Explorer360 it should now show the partitions

5. Transfer files from Shademans ready made mod over like Return noted
    plug your Xbox ROM IDE back in return harddrive to Xbox and reboot.

6. Load up the MS dash and reload your favorite dash.

Worked for me Shuttle AK35 Mainboard/XP-pro/XBOX 1.0

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  8. PRwood

PRwood Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  9. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

Hello, and happy holidays to everyone!

I was directed to this thread by MikH3, who told me to contact "Theridges" about an issue I have been having with my 30 gig HDD that I have attempted to lock for my Box.

"http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/407140/2655940"

This is the link to the original, but Ill give you a summary of the issue to see if you can figure it out:

I have used XBOXHDM to format and lock my Western Digital 307AA IDE HD. The model number is WD307AA-00BAA0. After much trial and error, and several other issues that MikH3 and I managed to resolve, I finally got XBOXHDM telling me that the drive is locked and secure, ready for placement into the XBOX. However, when I run upstairs and put the drive into the Box, I get a SOD error 6.

You have any idea what might be going wrong? Thanks for your help, and Dont rush to post here... Its the holidays after all! Thanks!

10. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

Okay I may have been crazy. The error message is still 5. Sorry for the misprint in the last post.

11. AskAPro

AskAPro Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, I have read through the first few pages of this thread and now I have successfully fixed my xbox after i buggered up my first softmod attempt. Many thanks to "TheReturn" for his excellent advice.

Now, if anyone is still having any trouble with this superb method of fixing your mistakes, I have a little bit of advice of my own!..

The "oom bop" method...

First off, you'll need to crack open the box but make sure you don't let the "X" out! The "X" is the little green leprechaun man that controls the box. He normally hides under the the bronze coiled bit inside the box but he will leave if you shake the box or call him names so be very carefull. The best way to make sure he doesn't leave is to keep the box plugged in at all times because he loves the power! Once the box is open, you need to pull the big wire out of the flux capacitor (which is the big part on the right). It's best to do this while standing in a bucket of water with the box still plugged in! (luke warm water is best!). Next, you need to put that wire in your mouth! Now you just need to whistle the magic tune to the "X" and he'll fix the box back to its factory settings!... Aaah, so whats the magic tune??.. for some unknown reason the tune is "oom bop"!, Thats it, your toast! By the time you have finnished the tune, the "X" will have everything working again! If you can't whistle then you will need to get someone else to whistle the tune while you complete the other tasks.

PS, only try this if you really can't nail the hotswap because the "X" treats the "oom bop" method as an emergancy!

Cheers Guys!
    TheReturn.. your a legend!

12. mhack

mhack Guest

@ the return you rule!!!!!!!#
    i have just completed a hotswap to ms xbox dash and all is well again thanks for one ace tutorial!!!!!!!

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Cheers all

I'm back from a long vacation. If you still have questions, post here.

14. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

15. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

^ Phoenix still needs help.

-Mike

16. jonwilcox

jonwilcox Guest

Finally got my xbox up and running. I wasn't working with the right eeprom...My buddy built a eeprom reader and read my eeprom from the eeprom chip on the motherboard. The rest is history.

I never knew you could read the original eeprom from the motherboard!

Thanks everyone for your help!

17. Raymon117

Raymon117 Guest

Pheonix

Error 5 means that the HDD is unlocked, retail bios requires it to be locked

18. Raymon117

Raymon117 Guest

so, what you are saying is to (in step 2&3) disconnect the IDE cable from the DVD drive of xbox and reboot my xbox then unplug the IDE cable from the HD leaving an IDE cable just lying on the Xbox, then plug in the secondary IDE cable from my PC into the Xbox correct?

Realy don't want to mess up my xbox any further... Thanks

Raymon

19. PRwood

PRwood Guest

Actually while the xbox is powered down pull the IDE from your DVD leaving your HDD plugged in than fire it up and time it before it cuts to the error 11 screen. The trick is to pull the IDE off the HDD a fraction of a second before it goes to the error screen, then connect to secondary IDE on PC while its up and running. Ive managed to hotswap on 3 different occasions with my method and Returns but always doing the swap with my PC already fired up then run 360, Has worked for me on multiple occasions.

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@PhoenixB

You have problems with 30GB hdd. So you are trying to upgrade the hdd on softmoded xbox. The error 6 which means that you locked 30gb hdd with a different eeprom or you didnot use xboxhdm properly to lock hdd.

answer questions below:

- do you have original eeprom of this xbox?
    - do you have retail hdd which works on this xbox?
    - or does this xbox work and ftp?