1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. santana22

santana22 Guest

I have a question i have a friend that tried using this method but it didn't work, he tried about 8 times...the problem now is that his xbox wont read any music cd's or game disks, but he can hear the music from his xbox hdd and explor the files in the hdd...does anyone know what the problem could be?

thx in advance.

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

what do you mean by explore the hdd?

what are in the hdd? which dashboard?
    Can you ftp? can you still do hotswap?
    do you have the complete softmod file of C and E drive?

3. xBarneyx

xBarneyx Member

ok cause this tut:http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=883.0 said you have to have the xbox HD on the Primary master and the PC HD has to be on secondary.

4. santana22

santana22 Guest

by explore i mean hes able to look through his music files and his saved games...and yea he has all the files i made a copy on a cd for him...because i did the softmod myself n it worked but sumthing went wrong with his so i was just wondering if you guys knew what might've happened.

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@xBarneyx
    This is hotswap tut NOT xboxhdm tut. So you can not miss my tut with that tut.

@santana22
    Can he FTP? can he still do hotswap? if so, try to restore hdd to factory condition first. Then let me know.

6. mhack

mhack Guest

@ return

just a quick help

am using xboxhd to make a new hd for an xbox i buggered up. What state does the hardrive have to be in? I have tried 4 hd now and xboxhd will not pick them up?! do you have to format them in a certain way for this method to work?

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

i do not quite understand your problems.

Look like you are trying to use some other xbox's hdd for other xbox. Is it right? IF yes, then you need to do following:

- eeprom of the xbox which you want to install hdd into.
    - unlock the hdd.
    - run xboxdhm
    - do anything you want like format hdd, copy data to hdd, etc..
    - when done, lock the hdd with the eeprom above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  8. mhack

mhack Guest

sorry no am trying to use an old PC 15gb hd for another xbox. i have an eeprom. but when i load the xboxhd it wont pick the hd up at all i have tried different ways and no joy if i boot with the hd already connected then the pc just throws a wobbler. if i load the linux disc then put the hd to the pc it wont 'find' it???

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

SO are you sure that the 15GB hd is GOOD?
    If yes, set the jumper to master. Then run xboxhdm again. YOU need to format the hdd first before copying data.

10. xBarneyx

xBarneyx Member

@ The Return
    what do you mean?I am trying to fix error 21 on my xbox so im restoring the HD by hotswapping and using explorer 360.is this tut or the one i posted the rite tut to fix my xbox.

11. cateater

cateater Member

First of all... Wow, Great Tut TheReturn! I recently recieved a broken xbox for free from a friend, and I am trying to hotswap it now. I do not know what error it is, because it goes directly to the service screen. Anyways, I am following your directions on the tutorial, and I am able to get the PC to recognize the HD, but Xplorer360 will not recognize it. I make sure that everytime I attempt to connect the HD, that the PC is pause, and my xbox has the white Microsoft logo appear before I dc the IDE cable. As soon as I dc the IDE cable from the xbox it instantly goes to the service screen. Anyways, I have the IDE cables connected properly and everything and I still cannot get Xplorer360 to recognize the hd...it just says "could not find a FATX drive to open". Any suggestions? Does my xbox HD need to be set to Master or slave? Right now it is set to Cable select, which is what I thought it needed to be.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@xBarneyx
    did you do hotswap yet? if so, tell me where you got stuck at? also tell me how you did the hotswap. I will help you out.

@cateater
    hmm.. If you are not sure about primary and secondary ide cables on PC, let me know.

well, your hdd is setted to Cable Select OR Master which is ok. you can try this:

-turn on pc and log on into windows.
    -do hotswap. when disconnect IDE cable from xbox's hdd, watch the LED to see if it flashes red/green. It should stay GREEN.
    -connect hdd to pc on Secondary ide calbe.
    -goto Device Manage to scan for a new drive. you should see xbox's hdd now.
    -turn on xplorer360 and scan for FATX hdd.

If still NO GO, try to do hotswap again. This time disconnect ide cable just 1 second before microsoft logo shown up.

If still NO GO, try to hot hotswap per my tut with another PC.

13. xBarneyx

xBarneyx Member

@ Return,
    I do not want to hotswap intill ino what im doing,you told me the tut i posted was the wrong 1.and im really confused.try answering my questions.

-I have 2 HD's on my computer,my 2nd HD,it is on my Primary Slave.Can i just tke out my 2nd HD and replace it with my xbox HD or does it HAVE to be on my secondary?
    -Do i have to unplug my DVD drives?
    -So this TUT will NOT work?-http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=883.0

14. mhack

mhack Guest

i have the hd set to master, yeah its ok, its an old win one. if i format the hd so as its blank (format fat32 with xp??) then try to connect it to xboxhd will that work.
    Cheers again.

if i connect it to xboxhd at the minute it wont let me open the program.
    "no drive found on p master etc...."

15. cateater

cateater Member

I am still having trouble. The IDE cables are correctly connected. What happens is that everytime I unplug the IDE from my xbox it flashes red-green and it goes to service screen... I cannot get my xbox led to remain green. I have tried pulling it right before the white ms logo appears, and right after. It immediately flashes red-green. I think that if I could get the led to stay green, then xplorer360 would recognize it, but I dont know how. My PC recognizes it every time, but I dont know what to do to make my led to stay green.

16. knockemv2

knockemv2 Regular member

ok i jus wanna know an or hotswap with a laptop or is there just no way to do it cause i gotta old laptop and a new desktop and im not gonna touch teh desktop

17. cateater

cateater Member

Ahh, I had to update to a newer version of Xplorer360... I had Xplorer0.9 and I didnt realize it, so I downloaded xplorer4.0 beta and I am backing up the partitions now! Thanks!

18. mhack

mhack Guest

@ knock if you follow the tut properly it dnt matter u cant mess up ur new comp.

mines brand new aswell have a little faith.

19. mhack

mhack Guest

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@xBarneyx
    NO. Do not touch primary IDE cable.

YES, remove the DVD drive on secondary ide cable. Connect the xbox hdd there when do hotswap.

I dont know.

@mhack
    did you use xboxhdm before? did you use this pc to run xboxhdm before?
    i'm not sure why xboxhdm cant see this hdd. Make sure that you connect it to Primary ide cable (master connector).

@knock
    the hotswap MAY work with laptop if you have external enclosure. BUt i'm not sure because I have NOT done hotswap with laptop.