1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. riot88

riot88 Member

10? there's only 3 files?

2. alexeix

alexeix Member

Thanks for the response.

I haven't backed up the Eeprom. I'm hoping I'll be able to get that when I do the hot-swap.

Out of interest, the PC I'm going to use doesn't have two IDE slots on the mobo; I'm using a cable for the hard drive, which has an extra IDE plug (2 HDDs) on one cable, to the same mobo. Will that work?
    Cheers.

3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I mean 3 is ok.

@alexeix
    arrgg...

No, it may not work. If you want to try, make sure you set jumper on xbox's hdd to CS.

4. alexeix

alexeix Member

Yeah, I know. I was hoping that the soft mod would work and I'd be able to get the eeprom, but despite following the instructions to a T, it still f**ked up. I didn't even actually get to run the exploit; it crashed the Xbox and messed it up while I was trying to get through to loading it.

Re the Xbox HDD jumper, by CS you mean Cable Select?
    Do I have to se that before connecting the drive to my PC? If so, that's going to be tough, isn't it? From the instructions, it says to hot-swap really quickly.

And now that I think of it, I don't have anything to set the jumper..

Is there any other way of recovering my HDD and/or getting the Eeprom?

Again, thanks for your assistance!

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

CS means Cable Select. Set it first during xbox is OFF and before doing hotswap.

hotswap wont fry the hdd. You only quickly remove the IDE cable from xbox's hdd and take time to connect it to PC. I mean not VERY quick.

there is another way to get the eeprom. Read the second post on the first page.

6. alexeix

alexeix Member

Hmmm...read the suggested post. I'm really impressed by the ingenuity of the Xbox community, but we don't have Radioshack in the UK and it'd take me a lot of time to get those parts, put them together, etc.

I'll give the hot-swap a try and if that works, it looks like my bid to recycle my Xbox will have failed and I'll just buy a cheap second hand one.

I only want to mod it so I can replace the HDD, since the old one only works (worked) intermittently.

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

good luck.

If the modchip is CHEAP, you should get one.

8. alexeix

alexeix Member

Okay, so would fitting a modchip allow me to replace the current HDD without additional work?
    If so, which one would you recommend? The cheaper, the better!
    Also, the less messing around with fitting it, the better...
    I don't even own a soldering iron, but guess I might need to get one.

I <think> the HDD is working at the moment, but it just won't boot past the Xbox screen and then the error happens.

It would be nice to be able to run XBMC on it and I'd need to use Xbox Live, so the chip would have to be able to do that.

Sorry - at least I know something about soft-modding now, but I'm a total newb when it comes to chipping...

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

when come to modchip, it's quite more work. you need to install modchip correctly, then flash bios. You also need to download autoinstaller disk Like AID, Slayers, etc.. This will fix your xbox 100%

I dont know which modchip is CHEAP.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  10. Darc

Darc Member

thanks for the help TheReturn, i've got just one more question, nobody answered it earlyer.

is my Xbox light supposed to be red? or did i do something wrong? originals and backups work fine and the console doesn't overheat, so i can't tell if there's a problem or if the red light is normal.

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

that is the setting. It is normal

12. Darc

Darc Member

ok, thanks alot for all the help.

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

14. alexeix

alexeix Member

bugger

When my Xbox boots up, I only get the Xbox wording on-screen, no Microsoft in white letters.

I think that means I can't hot-swap, right? Can't believe I didn't notice that.

Mod-chip it is then...

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

NO, you CAN still do hotswap. Modchip is the last option.

16. amani82

amani82 Member

Ok let me start of by saying that your tut is great. I am not necessarily a noob to modding since I have softmodded 2 ps2's and 2 psp's but I am when it comes to xbox. First of all i have picked up a 2nd hand xbox and I am interested in modding it. My problem is i can't get past the hotswapping I think I am doing it right though. Cause I have been able to access the HDD from Linux on my pc and my pc detects it in device manager. But here is my problem I tried fatexplorer,and explorer360. My pc is modded with new motherboard and cpu so i dont know if this is affecting it in anyway. If i hotswap while doing the pause/break method the pc freezes. If I hotswap after pc is already booted then go through device manager it pulls up the HDD but then when I open 360Explorer it says cannot find FAT blah blah blah. So this is my problem I hope THE RETURN can help. By the way I am disconnecting my secondary which runs my dvd drives etc. and putting my xbox on that one. Unplugging my slave HDD and only keeping master plugged into primary. Thanks hope u can help.

17. alexeix

alexeix Member

Okay. now I don't know if my PC supports cable select. As mentioned, I'm using an old machine for this, but the IDE cable is from my 2 year old Shuttle SN95G5V2.

Does that make a difference, because I presume I could set the PC HDD to master and the Xbox one to slave - would that work?

18. alexeix

alexeix Member

Are you a member over at Demonoid? If so, would you be able to invite me?

They're closed for new registrations and I want to download the Shademand files.

Please PM me.

Thanks.

19. alexeix

alexeix Member

I set both drives to Cable Select and tried this, but my PC wouldn't boot up. It saw both drives, but kept displaying messages about Unix. I suspected that meant the PC was trying to boot from the Xbox drive, so I swapped them round (disconnected the Xbox HDD, shutdown the PC, re-booted with the PC HDD on the other connection), but that made no difference.

I'm thinking of setting the PC HDD to master and the Xbox one to slave...what do you think?

Any suggestions...?

Thanks in advance!

20. alexeix

alexeix Member

Further update...I tried booting up the PC, then adding the Xbox HDD (Xbox still switched on, as per instructions).

The PC blue-screened and did a memory dump.

This was with both drives set as Cable Select.

If I disconnect the Xbox HDD and re-boot the PC, Windows 2000 will start.