1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bodygas

bodygas Member

if i do the pause/break thing my computer's bios gets flashed and freaks out... so i jus plug the xbox HD into my secondary port while i'm already booted up and windows finds it and installers drivers and all that great crap... but xplorer360 doesn't...

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

if you can't use pause/break key, so dont use it. did you download explorer360 beta3, 4, 5, 6? if not, download them. Then install the beta4 first. Dont turn off the PC. Stay in the Windows.

Do hotswap, connect xbox's hdd to PC. MAKE SURE you disconnect ide cable right at the logo shown up. Goto Device Manager and Scan for a new drive. You will see another hdd shown up.

Open xplorer360 and try to read xbox's hdd. if it not read, uninstall this xplorer360 then install another version. Try to read hdd again. Try all version before connect xbox's hdd back to xbox.

let me know the result

3. TiMM3R

TiMM3R Guest

A "hot swap" should ONLY be done before you format the hd, If done when your hd is full of games and such it can corrupt files and cause bad sectors on it. I also think this method should not be used by people without experience. Im sure there is a Linux prog that can defrag or run a scandisk, but I am a "Dos baby".

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

hmm...
    For people who knows nothing about xbox and PC, then I agree with you.

But if you know about xbox and PC, this method should work fine. This is the CHEAPEST way to fix your xbox.

It is up to people who want to use this method or NOT. Otherwise, you have to buy modchip to fix the xbox.

5. desmet9

desmet9 Regular member

The evo X dash says unlock hdd. Can i use that instead of hot swappiong and then just plug the hdd into my computer second hdd slot. Or will this not work. I think that after that microsoft logo pops up that the hdd is "unlocked". I was just wondering if this is what were are trying to accomplish to make xplorer 360 read the xbox hdd in the computer.

6. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

well what are you trying to do? softmod or hardmod? do you know ftp?

If you can load Evox dash, your xbox must be ok.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  7. fsckroot

fsckroot Member

Yahuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

I did it! I softmodded my xbox by following exactly TheREturn's tutorial and used shademand's mod. Thanks dude!!! Youre very cool!

I have a question, what is PBL? I have this xbox version-
    k:1.00.4817.01
    d:1.00.4920.01

What bios should I use? I want to play back-ups in dvd-r.
    help pls.

8. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@fsckroot

CHEERS...........

You dont need to do anything with bios because your xbox is softmoded. Your xbox now can play backup games in DVD and from HDD. You just need to know how to back up games. Just insert backup game into xbox, it will play.

9. fsckroot

fsckroot Member

@thereturn

ok I see, thanks again, Ill download some games and burn it.

cheers too

10. skated92

skated92 Member

i know Im kinda late in the talk here but what should i do if just the logo pops up when i turn the xbox on and it waits a couple minutes and then go straight to error number 16

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

download all versions of xplorer360, mhackxbox.rar, ms dash from the first page. Install xplorer360 beta4 on PC.

do hotswap per my tut and disconnect IDE cable from xbox's hdd just 5 secs before error16 shown up. Also watch the lED light to make sure it stays green at the you disconnect IDE cable.

If it flash red/green, hotswap will not work. if so, redo hotswap and disconnect ide cable just before it flashs red/green. After disconnect ide cable, don't worry on TV any more.

Scan xbox's hdd in Device Manager. Make sure it shown up there.

If the xplorer360 can't read the xbox's hdd, uninstall it and install other version. Then read xbox hdd again. Try all versions because they work differently on different PC.

If not work, connect hdd back to xbox then Try hotswap again for 3 times. Let me know the result

12. xboxgama

xboxgama Guest

this tut saVED MY LIFE, I MEAN XBOX, tHANK YOU!

13. snailryde

snailryde Member

I really need some help here.
    I bought an xbox on ebay with the error 21.
    I figured I would restore the hdd to factory condition using this method:

After I did this and I shut down xplorer360 and plugged the xbox ide cable back into the xbox hdd and then shut the xbox off and started it up again.

My problem is I still get error 21. I have repeated this tutorial at least 5 times with the same result= error 21.

I have downloaded MS dash from 2 different sites and also used a copy of MS dash from a working xbox.

The odd part is I then decided to try to softmod it with mhackxbox softmod files and it works..I now have a softmodded xbox which I dont want. I want it back to original.

Can anybody tell me why I still get the error 21 when I follow the tutorial?
    Thank you for any help you can give.

14. xboxgama

xboxgama Guest

To get back to msdash I just boot my xbox by opening the disc tray and then it gives me options to restore ms dash. That should work for all softmods. But you will have to put the msdash in a backup folder. I will see which one when I get back from school today. Also be careful how many times you repeat a hotswap because it can scratch your xbox's hdd if you shake it too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@snailryde
    Yep, xbox is weird sometime. I can't help you on this. It is just the bios + hdd problems. Becasue this xbox has been softmoded for a long time. That is why you can restore ms dash. But the Restore MS dash should work.

And yes, you can follow xboxgama's instruction to restore MS dash.

@xboxgama

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers...............

16. snailryde

snailryde Member

The saga of snailryde's f#*ked up xbox continues.
    First I would like to thank xboxgama and TheReturn for their replies.

Ok I booted the softmodded xbox with the dvd eject button and up comes sid installer deluxe 4.0. I clicked "uninstall softmod" and after it was done uninstalling the softmod I shut it off and started it up again, still the same problem - error 21. If I boot it with a game in the dvd the game will play but if I boot it with no game it goes to the error 21 screen.

This is what I have tried so far on this xbox.

1.Hotswapped the hdd and used xplorer360 to delete all files and then injected all fresh MSdash files back on the hdd so now it has 0-4 partitions,0 partition,1 partition,2 partition, 3 with the complete MSdash files and partition 4 with 3 empty folders inside, Cache,Tdata, AND Udata.Shutdown xplorer360 and reconnected the xbox hdd back to the xbox and then shut the xbox down . When I restart it has the error 21 screen. It will play original games if I boot it up with a game in the dvd rom however.

2.I decided my luck was probably running out as far as hotswapping without hurting the hdd so I backed up my Eeprom when I had it softmodded and I use that to unlock the hdd now when I use XBOXHDM to completely rebuild the hdd to factory condition, I lock the hdd back up and reinstall in xbox and same thing = error 21

3.Downloaded and installed "mhackxbox" softmod files to see if the xbox would work with softmod and it does but I dont want it softmodded but if I uninstall it using sid 4.0 it goes back to the error 21 screen.

I have really tried everything I can think of to just get the xbox back to stock but no luck.

Does anybody have any new suggestions that I could try short of a 20 lb sledge hammer, if you do I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

damn weird..
    well if you have a backup eeprom, you can build a new hdd (not rebuild) for xbox by using xboxhdm. If it does not work, softmod it and sell it. Then buy a new xbox.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  18. snailryde

snailryde Member

Well I must say that hotswapping or using xboxhdm will not always fix an error 21 problem. I have hotswapped numerous times and used xboxhdm to build my hdd and the xbox still comes up with error 21. It will play an original game if I boot up with a game in dvd tray however. I have downloaded and replaced the latest MS dash files from at least 3 sources and I have also tried installing an older version of MS dash with the same results = error 21.

I am beginning to believe either the Eeprom or something else on the mobo is somehow corrupt or the hdd is going bad.

The only thing that seems to work is if I softmod it with mhackxbox which boots the modified dashboard. I really just want the xbox back to original. If anyone has a possible solution or idea what to try I am all ears.

Thanks

19. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I disagree with you on this. mhackxbox fixes your error 21.

Anyway the purpuse of this tut is to help someone out there to fix their broken xbox and get the xbox running again.

Your xbox is an example. You can fix it by using hotswap with mhackxbox.

The restore MS dash does not work because something happenned to the bios.

20. snailryde

snailryde Member

Thanks TheReturn for replying to my problem.

I guess "fixing" the error 21 is a matter of interpretation.
    I want the xbox "fixed" by returning it to factory specs and "fixing" it to you is making the xbox functional. :)

Is there anyway I can fix the bios?

Thanks for trying to help with this problem xbox from hell.

Snailryde

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007