1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. snailryde

snailryde Member

Well after doing some research I have found out my xbox is a 1.6 version so I wont be flashing the tsop to repair my bios.

Oh well I guess its back to the softmod.

Snailryde

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

There is a way to fix it. That is modchip. If you dont want to buy modchip, you can borrow from your friend.

3. snailryde

snailryde Member

Hello TheReturn, thanks for replying.

How do I fix it with a modchip?
    I have a modded xbox with the DuoX chip.
    Thanks

Snailryde

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

the trick to fix it is changing error code. So we are trying to change from error 21 to 13 or 14. So you need to install modchip into broken xbox with the switch turn on and off modchip.

- Install original ms dash on C drive.
    - Install Evox or any other dash on C drive so modchip can boot it. Make sure that you can load MS dash from this dash. also can be able to ftp.
    - install config magic and boxplorer on E drive.

Step:
    -turn on xbox with modchip on so default dashboard loads up. Then load the MS dash from this dash. MS dash has to load with no error. If not, your ms dash is corrupted. Then fix your ms dash.

-turn off xbox and disable modchip. turn xbox back on to see you still have error 21. turn off xbox

- Enable modchip and turn on xbox. Load configmagic. Unlock hdd then turn off xbox. Turn on xbox again and relock hdd.

-reboot xbox and load boxplorer. delete the font folder of ms dash. reboot again, xbox load the default dash then try to load ms dash. which error do you have?

- turn off xbox and disable modchip. turn on xbox again to see which error do you have? if error changes, it looks good.

-enable modchip and turn on xbox again. do ftp and fix ms dash.

-then turn on xbox with disable modchip. ms dash should load

5. snailryde

snailryde Member

Well right now I have it softmodded and I cannot ftp into the xbox at all.I think I'll just leave it softmodded rather then add a modchip and find out I still cannot ftp into it. This has been a rather frustrating experience thats for sure.

I have to say that this is a very good guide for fixing errors though and I want to thank TheReturn for all the help and suggestions.

Snailryde

6. Vitriolic

Vitriolic Member

Can this fix Xbox's that are getting Error 7.

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@Vitriolic

Look like your hdd died. Anyway check your ide cable and power cable for both hdd and dvd drive. Make sure they all connect tigh.

This hotswap will NOT fix your xbox.

@snailryde

Cheers.... of fixing your xbox, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  8. snailryde

snailryde Member

TheReturn said:

Fixed?=no Functional=yes :)

9. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

What if you accidentally delete the xyz partitions on the xbox hard drive?
    What if your copmuter uses SATA for its hard drive but yet has one IDE connector?

10. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

IF you accidentally delete the xyz partitions, you can do hotswap with xboxhdm. Xboxhdm has an option to reformat the hdd. Then copy data to C and E drive.

I beleive you can do hotswap on this computer.

Anyway I would like to know your problems first, so I can give best advices.

11. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

can you get the partitions back if you have a softmod installed, preferably the dash unleashx?
    Do i need a special program?

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yes you can get back those partitions with Unleash. Let me know if Unleash is up and running on your xbox.

13. shawty

shawty Member

ok here's my problem, my xbox has error 16 and i've tried many things in order to solve it but nothing works, i want to do hotswap but the mirosoft logo doesn't appear, is there any file that i coul burn into a dvd to make the logog appear and then hotswap, i really don´t want to put a modchip on my xbox, that is totally not possible,but i think you know another way to do it, please if you know of any file or game that could make the microsoft logo appear, please tell me, or maybe making the xbox boot a different problem, i tried disconnecting the dvd drive to get error 12 but the logo didn´t appear, i have a hdd that i could use to solve this problem, maybe burn some files in it and then use it to adjust the clock, then i can get error 16 on my original xbox hdd and do hotswap, please help!!!

14. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

Sorry, i got the same problem. You see, the xbox hard drive has a unique hard drive serial key. A chip on the xbox motherboard checks to make sure that the hard drive has that eeprom key,if it doesnt, then it wont use it thus displaying the error 16. The only way to get past this would be getting a modchip, or building your own eeprom reader or buying an already-made eepromreader from someone. When you read the eeprom, you can find out the hdd key. Or the modchip, sort of, ("emulates") or masks itself as the xbox eeprom and allows you to choose a different BIOS to boot the xbox past the hdd check. The BIOS tells the eeprom to check for the hddkey so the modchip will help. Hope that answers your problem.

15. shawty

shawty Member

so that means hotswap while error 16 is NOT POSSIBLE?
    that leaves me with the only option, eeprom reader right? (knowing that i wont solderize things to my xbox)

16. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

If you were a good little boy, which i for one am not, you would have backed up your eeprom when it begged you to when you first modded.I just flew through that crap and now i screwed up my box and i got to get a mod-chip. ALthough i live in Pennsylvania, East Stroudsburg. If you have your eeprom, then you can unlock the hard drive,restore the hard drive back to original state, then put the hard drive back in, and your ready to go.

The eeprom reader means you have to de-solderize that eeprom.
    I saw a guide somewhere which shows you how to use a really old stick of ram to fix up your xbox.Try googling it.

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

well, you can do hotswap with error 16. Do you know about PC?

18. shawty

shawty Member

ok now i know what my real problem is, i can't hotswap because my pc won't recognize my xbox hdd, when i connect it (directly or hotswap), when the "press F1 to boot setup" and "press F12 to boot from the network" screen appears, a pop up appears saying secondary, master, primary, slave, or however i set my xbox hdd to be , appears to have an error
    this only happens with my xbox hdd, i tried it with another blank hdd an nothing happened, obviously nor did this happen with my main hdd

19. tehman

tehman Member

insted of hot swapping to an ide on the pc mother board can i plug it into a external hdd casing and hotswap that way??

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

yep, you can try it. It may work.