1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. oehmer

oehmer Member

yes i downloaded both of the files you mentioned and i do get error 12 when my dvd drive is unplugged. the way i hotswap is just like how you said it and what do u mean "hot swap like that"? do u mean to leave it at error 12 and then hotswap because then u said to disconnect the IDE cable from the hdd before it goes to the "xbox hang" or the error screen. what does xbox hang mean or what is it?

can we please just talk on yahoo or something sometime?

2. oehmer

oehmer Member

cool that error 12 must have done the trick cuz i got xplorer to finally read it and now my xbox is good as new, except for a couple missing screws... :D thanx mate

3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Finally, you understood the hotswap.

cheers................

4. sailsy

sailsy Member

Hi Return, had an xbox returned from friend that i had soft modded a while ago!!

I presume he had connected to xbox live zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! Told not to by the way!!!

Well anyway i read your instructions to a tee to do the hotswap and it works perfectly id just like to say many many thanks for the great guide i dont know how you keep your patients with some people you must be a saint!!

If theres anything i can do to ever help you dont hesitate to ask!!

Top man take care!!!

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

well, someone will make mistakes when doing softmod. Some xboxes go bad everyday. The owners are sad and stressful. They are asking for help!!!!

I just want them to be happy and enjoy the xbox as I do. That is why I have this thread to help them out. And yes, I'm willing to help everyone all the way until the xbox gets fixed.

I'm happy as you are when I hear you and someone get the xbox back up and running.

I only ask if you guys know how to do hotswap, please help others who are trying to do hotswap. Please help people who are depressed in their broken xbox. Many thanks to you.

Thereturn

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  6. cubix

cubix Member

Before I go off and try this I have a couple of questions. The xbox I am trying it on is a softmodded xbox. The thing is when I start it up I get the big green X and white MS logo underneath but after that the screen just goes Black, no error 13/14 etc and no flashing red eject button. When I eject the dvd tray to load a game to see if it will boot up it makes the xbox reboot. When I try a cold boot with a game in I get the same results black screen, so is this a soft mod problem?.

The other question I have is I have a working chipped xbox(Xecuter chip) that is working fine. Would it be possible to put the doggy HDD from the softmodded xbox into my chipped xbox and boot it with the chip then I could reload the software on to the HDD?

Thanks

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

On the broken xbox, it looks like a sofdmod problem. So disconnect the IDE cable from Xbox's DVD drive. Turn on xbox to see if you have error 12. let me know. Download all versions of xplorer360 and mhackxbox.rar on the first page. Don't do any thing else yet.

You can't put the softmod xbox's hdd into the mochip xbox. But can you install the Xecuter chip into the softmod xbox? If yes, you save your life. anyway which version of this 2 xboxes?

8. cubix

cubix Member

Thanks for that TheReturn. Not in front of the xbox's at the moment but the last time I had the IDE plugged out of the Dvd drive of the softmodded xbox it gave me error 11. Not able to take out the chip as its soldered and I am useless at de/re soldering. Not sure what version of xbox they are but will check. As stated will not do anything until I hear back from you

Thanks

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

so can't install modchip into softmoded xbox. Hotswap is the only way now. Download all files and get ready.

Try put the original game (not a backup game) inside DVD and reboot xbox to see if xbox still plays games or any difference from turning on xbox with no game inside the DVD drive. This will help for hotswap.

basically, you have 3 ways to do hotswap:
    - hotswap with no game inside DVD drive
    - hotswap with an original game inside DVD drive
    - hotswap with IDE cable disconnected from DVD drive

10. TDaniel91

TDaniel91 Member

my box is modded and the hard drive died I got a new drive in now and all i get with booting up without mod chip on is error 16 i boot up with mod chip and get to blue screen that give me status and says it recognizes the drive how do I load this drive with software it does not recognize my ced rom drive i need help bad

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

do you have any autoinstaller disK? if not, download it. Your xbox will load the autoinstaller disk and it let you format hdd and install dashboard.

12. cubix

cubix Member

Think i might have been unlucky and fried my xbox HDD. Before I tried the hotswap the xbox was booting to the big green X with white MS logo underneath and then going to black blank screen.When I tried the hotswap and was disconnecting the ide cable from the back of the xbox HDD i heard a crackling. Now when I boot up the xbox it freeze's on the big green X with NO white MS logo. IF i eject/close the dvd tray a couple of times it comes up with ERROR7 (HDD time out)which as far as I know the HDD is dead.
    Is there any way to extact the info I need from the motherboard or is it a case of having to replace the lot?

Thanks

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

how did you fry the hdd? It can't be fried because you only disconnect and connect IDE cable (data cable).

now the hdd is dead. You need modchip and new hdd to fix the xbox.

14. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

Hi, I need help from ANYONE. Ok, I follow this tutorial PERFECTLY, i timed how long it takes for xbox to go to service screen, unplug ide cable, then plug into my computer (that has already been booted and PAUSED), then resume the boot up, it detects my hard drive SOMETIMES, so i go to xplorer360, open the drive, and computer tries to look for it....freezes, and reboots....I have tried putting hard drive in different IDE cable than my pc hard drive and even put it in same cable as pc hard drive...even when they were on 2 different cables my computer froze and rebooted...I always wait for the logo to appear and or service screen....cuz my xbox will give me error07 sometimes and error16 the rest of the times...it's wierd....PLEASE HELP, i just want this xbox to work and it doesn't all because of the dang hard drive! there has got to be an easier way to get these files off the xbox!

15. wobbs

wobbs Guest

Worth a try ( black screen after sofmod has only happened to me on a 1.6 crystal )the mod i used "ndure" had been used on over 20 other xbox's succesfully prior to this one - not had a problem on a 1.6 black box either

caviet

it wont work if your boxs is making clicking noises ( thats a borked hard disk - you need a new HD and an eeprom reader ) its cheaper than a chip

the xbox works as normal when booted with a game in both back up and legit

NO green error screen

the light is red on the front meaning the softmod has partially worked

however if your xbox boots to blackscreen after ndure softmod

get a copy of AID auto installer disk 4.X

from your local torrent site ( you need a client by the way to get a torrent sorry for the sucking eggs comment but i have lost count of the times i have read about ppl trying to grab torrent links and having difficulty understanding they are only links and not the files , and wont work without downloading and installing a bittorent client like ABc - I would have said utorrent but the jury is out on their new master and what data the client is isn't sening back to them)

once you have the AID file burn to a DVD ( - or + work on all 3 makes of xbox DVD drive) DONT TRY USING CD R - I have 4 crystal boxes with samsung drives and even they wont read CDRs - just very unlucky i guess.

ok

so you have burnt AID to a DVD - using nero or your fav prog

pop it into the xbox dvd drive - turn off the xbox - count to 10 let the xbox hard disk spin down - turn it back on

flubber screen comes and goes - then blacjk - wait for about a minute then you should get the AID menu

re install the softmod from the options menu ( you dont need and games for this ) I used the one click install option

follow the instruciton on the screen

then you can go and install different dashboards - evox etc or XBMC

after 6 hours of pulling my hair out prior to grabbing AID it took 15 mins with the aid disk to get the thing working without opening the box

and running xbmc as main dash

16. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

Im trying to hotswap my xbox with my pc with a unmodded xbox I also have a chip modded xbox I dont how to do it with that. But Im trying to hotswap I took the ide cable out the xbox hd and I took the cable out of the pc and put the pc ide in the xbox hd im not sure if you suppose to take out the yellow red and black looking cables out the pc hd and the xbox too. But I tryed both ways I powered on my pc and it said, "operating system was not found". I just tryed to download that xbox hd maker I extracted it but Im not sure which way to burn it. So I tryed burning it as a iso and a data file neither one worked so how do I fix this?

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@dan72588
    what's wrong with your xbox? do you think the hdd is dying?

Disconnect the IDE cable from xbox's dvd drive and turn on xbox to see if you have error 12. IF you do, leave the IDE cable disconnect from dvd drive. Redo hotswap.

ON pc, leave the ide cable that connected to main hdd. Remove all devices on other ide cable. This cable will connect to xbox hdd.

@yungplaya
    your xbox has modchip. So why you are trying to do hotswap?

18. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

No the thing is I have a modded xbox of my own but my friend has a unmodded xbox with error code 16 and it did just give me error code 12. So you want me to leave the ide cable in my pc hdd and take out the other ide cable what else would that be?

19. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

@TheReturn

Actually, i think i figured it out, I screwed it up basically. Because if you look at the first post of this topic, I read what you had to do at the TOP part, where there was no detailed instruction or picture cuz i thought that post ended, but i didn't look below to see a detailed instruction, so i took my hard drive out at microsoft or error scree, put it in the already booted up computer (LOL), tried and it didn't work BUT the MAIN problem was I turned off my xbox and put the hard drive back in (actually i had unplugged the hard drive completely free of cords when i got the error or microsoft) lol, i screwed my xbox. Only way to get it working i suppose is an eeprom reader, which i tried to look at the blueprints of making on this site, but they were way tooooo complicated for me who knows nothing about that stuff, but i would buy one for $15 or so if someone sold one. Looked on ebay, couldn't find a xbox eeprom reader...

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@dan72588
    So what error code do you have now?
    If you will spend $15 for the eeprom reader, I suggest you buy a modchip which costs $20.

@yungplaya
    what do you mean?

Make sure you download mhackxbox.rar and all versions of explorer360.

On PC, there are 2 IDE cables. One connects to PC's hdd which contains Operating System. The other IDE cable is used for hotswap. So remove all devices on this ide cable.

On xbox disconnect the ide cable from xbox's dvd drive. You should have error 12. Now you ready to do hotswap.

-Turn on PC and press break/pause key. PC stop booting.
    -Turn on xbox and disconnect IDE cable from xbox's hdd just before the error 12 shown up. YOU CAN ALSO TRY DISCONNECT IDE CABLE WHEN THE ERROR 12 SHOWN UP TOO.
    -connect xbox hdd to PC. dont worry on xbox any more
    -hit any key on PC to continue booting up. PC should run normally. If it takes a long time to load into windows, check you connections.
    -open one by one explorer360 to read the xbox's hdd. you should see 5 partitions