1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hourglass with pointer won't go away...

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Leighlee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Leighlee

Leighlee Member

Hello,

On my laptop, my pointer constantly has the hourglass icon flickering.
    It slows down all the openings of my programs. Then once I do click a program or file to open, the auto search box opens, like it is searching for the file. Can anyone help me figure out why this is all of a sudden happening? I have run scan disk, defrag, I recently cleared my prefetch files to speed up my computer.
    Thanks in advance!
    Leighlee

2. dailun

dailun Active member

You can do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and pull up the task manager.

Click on the process tab to see if there are any processes that are grabbing cycles from the CPU.

Sometimes fastfind (if enable) chews up clock cycles while it indexes the drive, but that should eventually stop.

Are you seeing/detecting HDD activity when the hourglass comes on? (is the HDD indicator flashing)

3. Leighlee

Leighlee Member

hi Dailun

I ended up doing a system restore going back a week. Although the restore was unsucessful, it did manage to stop the hourglass thing. I disabled the auto play feature on all drives as well, so for right now I am ok. I did try looking at processes, but there were too many grabbing from the CPU. There were about 5 svchosts, and a few other multiples running as well, so it was hard to tell who the culprit was.
    So for now I am back to normal, slow normal...but normal. Thanks so much.
    Leighlee

4. dailun

dailun Active member

Spyware or malware could possibly cause this as well. Keep an eye on your system for any suspicious behavior changes.