1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How and what software can I use to do backup of SACD

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by onestop, Apr 22, 2004.

1. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello,

I'm totally new in this forum and would like to seek for expertise on how and what software can I use to backup some tracks of my diferent SACD album into a new CD with same audio quality?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

If you have a SACD with audio CD side/layer, you can use ExactAudioCopy (EAC; guide see afterdawn download section) to extract to .wav and use e.g. burrrn to create an audio CD from it.

To rip the SACD part itself, you have to connect the anlog output of your SACD player with your soundcard's linein and use some recording + editing software like adobe audition to record, adjust volume, split to single tracks (and resample to 44.1kHz in case you record with higher sampling rate). Another possibility would be a hardware modification (for ~ 1000$) available for some SACD/DVD-A players from a swiss company that grabs decoded/decrypted digital audio inside of the player directly before the DAC and routs it it to ordinary digital outputs that can be connected to any soundcard with digital in supporting the same sampling rate(s). IIRC I've posted about it here in some thread about how to rip DVD-A. If you can't find it, do a search for posts by the user "Schalti" on http://www.hydrogenaudio.org forums. IIRC all of his posts were about this device.

There's no way to play back or rip the high resolution (DSD) part of SACDs in PC environment with consumer equipment.

3. onestop

onestop Regular member

Thanks Tigre,

I do use EAC for normal audio CD convertion to MP3 and now I know that SACD cannot be copied on consumer level. Thanks