1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can deal with this type of avi file ?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by zooco, Mar 28, 2007.

1. zooco

zooco Regular member

I am an absolute novice in this area so, please forgive my ignorance :) .

1) I want to convert a few .avi files to DVD , playable on TV . But when I tried to import them into a few conversion programs ( i.e. ConvertXToDVD , Total Video Converter etc... ) they could not support these .avi files . So I use GSpot to check these files out . The verdict is that they need H264 Codec (i.e. H.264/AVC) . GSpot also indicates "Codecs installed " . I wonder why those converters did not work in my case , even if the codecs were available ?

2)I could not view these files on PC with GOMPlayer, KMPlayer , Window media Player and VLC player ( on WinXP O/S ) . I could hear audio but no video at all . Only Media Player Classic v6.4.9.0 can show the video correctly !

3) I also installed "ffdshow rev. 1082 (200700328)" to make sure I got the H264 codec . Still nothing changed !

4) What conversion program ( i.e. sharewares or freewares ) can handle this type of .avi files ?

Thank you very much in advance ...

Best Regards,

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

sounds like you don't have the right codecs instaled on your system, do a google search an you should be able to find a lot of codec packs, the mega codec pack is what you will need, good luck

3. zooco

zooco Regular member

Thanks for your tips ! Still, if I do not have the right codecs on my PC then GSpot's report is false ?? Or is it a matter of how to activate or register these codecs in Win XP ? In this case, how can I do that ?

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

no g_spot will tell you what codecs are needed and what codecs are installed, yes

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. zooco

zooco Regular member

rdmercer1 ,

As I mentioned above, GSpot did tell me the required codec H.264/AVC was installed on my PC . My question is : how can I make it work . And you are telling me to install K-lite Mega Pack ?

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Don't install any more codecs. You said GSpot reported that you had what you needed and you then installed ffdshow? I don't have ffdshow installed anymore but it does have a config utility. Have you looked in there for any specific settings?

Was GSpot able to render the AVI properly? When it finally did, did you note what combination of codecs/filters were used? Just because a codec is installed does not mean it is always chosen as there are many codecs/filters that may claim to do the job and they may have a higher 'Merit' on your rig. As an example the Xvid codec can handle Divx, ffdshow can handle Xvid, Nero, Ulead and many others will also have codecs that claim to handle both of them. Which codec/filter will get the job? The problem is many apps (especially the free ones) tend to install alot of unneeded codecs.

Get this small app and take a look at the your codecs. You can dis-able and re-enable them selectivly and see if you can get things working.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mmview.html

You might also try this app to convert your file.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Some info here to add to the confusion.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96059

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  7. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

g-spot will only tell you what type of encoding method was used and if you have the correct codec to view it, not if you have the correct codec to convert it.

search for k-lite codec pack. find the least sleazy site thats distributing it and download and install it. now reinstall all your encoding progs.

8. zooco

zooco Regular member

Thanks MysticE & Georgeluv for your kind infos & comments . I'll check them out right away ...

Best regards,