1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I construct an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by poet215, Mar 11, 2005.

1. poet215

poet215 Member

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I'm asking for advice because, I can't afford to shell out $200 or more for a good external hard drive. I've been using an HP Pavilion and,I'd like to build an external hard drive with at least 200GB for it. I'm also not an expert on PC's, but I'm computer literate though, so I think I should be able to build one without any major complications. I was able to install my internal DVD writer with no problems. Please someone help me out. Once again, Thank You!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get an ide hd plus a usb 3.5" case to hold the drive

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I know that you want a 200 gig HDD for your USB enclosure but CompUSA runs sales on their CompUSA brand with an 80 gig for $50 after rebate. It’s a solid aluminum case with a WD 80 gig HDD inside. I purchased 2 a while back and they work great! They just had a sale this past week again on the same unit. If you do make one yourself, follow the directions given by the Manufacturer of the case and if it doesn't show how to set the HDD jumpers, (master, slave, or CS,) set it to master.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

5. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Why go through the trouble of building one, when you can get a external hd enclosure i.e icybox or similiar and put a normal 200g pata hd in it for less than $200 , it'll save you a whole lot of head scatchin' & they come as usb or firewire or both .....