1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I create a recovery partition on my notebook?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zhl203, Feb 9, 2008.

1. zhl203

zhl203 Member

How can I copy/install recovery CDs on a partitioned drive? I have hp pavilion ze5185 running on windows xp home edition (Link: http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:HP Pavilion ze5185 Laptop Computer:1990930527).

The reason why I'm doing this is because the CDRom drive sometimes doesn't read the recovery CDs during recovery. To avoid from not being able to recover my computer to original factory setting by running the recovery CDs, is there any way I can save all the contents of the recovery CDs (6 of them) on a partitioned drive in such a way that I can run the recovery directly on my PC, i.e., without having to put in the CDs. This is similar to the new PCs nowadays in the market: they all have the C drive and the Recovery drive. The Recovery drive is what I'm trying to create. Please help. Thanks.

2. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

try downloading a recovery program like acronis and go threw the set up with it .

3. zhl203

zhl203 Member

I understand that acronis will back up my entire C drive, but is there any way to create a recovery partition from the original recovery cds rather than the C drive? Do you understand what I mean? If I copy the content of the recovery cds to the partition drive, how can I make my pc to boot from that particular partition while starting up?

4. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

yea i understand
    so you just want a clean v. of what cds you installed on your pc first
    yea thats possible just make a partion with widows and boot into that partion and isntall what cds you have on that partion

5. zhl203

zhl203 Member

Thanks for your help.

just make a partion with widows....
    >>>>ok i already created a partition using partition magic

...and boot into that partition
    >>>> how?

....and install what cds you have on that partition
    >>>> how? Do I simply copy the contents of the recovery cds into this partition? If yes, must I copy it in a particular way, such as creating 6 folders since there are 6 recovery CDs? Any particular rules in naming the folders? OR do I have to covert those 6recovery cds into 6 iso files first? I guess we also need to make the partition drive a image drive?

Thanks.

6. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Hi,

Your recovery CD's usually have the boot disk files on them which allows your PC to boot from them when required. If you simply copy these CD's to your extra partition, you will not be able to boot from this.

What you will need to do is create a boot CD-ROM which will allow you then run the restore utility on the new partitions. I have never done this, but know of people who have, and have ended up not being able to access the image, and lost their recovery solution.

To be honest with you, you might be better doing what was mentioned before, and using Acronis / Ghost, but do it AFTER you have done a full restore on your PC.

This way it will make a new image (identical to your CD versions) for you to place on your new partition, and you will be able to use Acronis / Ghost to create a boot CD for this recovery.

I would only suggest this as a last resort as you will have to completely erase your drive, so only do it if you have a full backup of all your information.

Let us know how you get on.

7. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

you boot into your boot options buy usealy prssing F9 Or esc when the computer starts up rember what the size of the partion you made was that might be the only way you can tell them apart from each otehr

8. zhl203

zhl203 Member

ok here's what I did so far.
    1. I created a partition named Recovery (R) with 6.82GB;
    2. I ran Acronis True Image Home 11.0 --> Backup and Restore and backup my entire C drive on drive R (i.e., the newly created partition)
    3. Now I see one file in drive R, which I believe is the backup I just created

Now for testing purpose, how can I initiate the recovery? I restarted my PC and hit ESC to enter the Boot Menu: 1) +Removable Devices; 2) CD-Rom Drive; 3) +Hard Drive; and 4) Built-In LAN. (by the way, why are there "+" signs in front of Removable Devices and Hard Drive?) What do I do now?

9. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

As I said in my previous post, you use Acronis to create a boot disk which you boot from, then when it runs Acronis (to restore) it lets you select the drive with the image on to complete the restore.

I think you would need to read this tutorial here.

10. zhl203

zhl203 Member

Hi Phil2000
    Thanks for your help. I will try that when I have time and let you know the result.

Actually what I was getting at is to run the system recovery without having to deal with any CD (as I said my CDRom driver doesn't read certain type of CDs). For example, on the computer that I use at work, when I start up the PC it gives me the following two options:
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Windows 2000 Professional Recovery Console

The Recovery Console is what I'm trying to create. If I choose that option, it will start the recovery without having to insert a boot CD. After searching a little bit, I found the following information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_console
    The recovery console may be entered in one of two ways:

1. From the operating system installation CD-ROM
    2. Via the boot-time menu presented by NTLDR

Invoking the recovery console from the NTLDR menu
    The recovery console can also be configured as an option on the boot-time menu that is presented by NTLDR. This is not included by default when the operating system is first installed. Instead, administrators have to run the winnt32 utility with the /cmdcons switch, which adds the recovery console to the NTLDR menu, ready for when the machine is next bootstrapped.

This requires that the system is not damaged to the extent that the Windows NT Startup Process cannot even reach the point of running NTLDR.

My question now is how can I "configure the recovery console as an option on the boot-time menu that is presented by NTLDR?" If you know, that'll be great! Thanks again.

11. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

You might want to have a look here as it may explain what you are looking for. As far as I am aware you have to install the Recovery Console as a Start-up option, and then it will appear as an option upon booting.

Personally I can't see why you would want to go this way about doing things, but I trust you have valid reasons for wanting to do so. The main reason for this is that the image that Acronis / Ghost creates for your recovery, are typical written in their own "image" format. This requires the use of their product to extract and restore. This is why they create the boot disks, as they create the necessary boot / system file(s) to launch a stripped down version of their product to use. If you wish to use their images, you will need to be able to run this utility.

If you wish to use your method because CD-ROM / optical media is not "trustworthy" (i.e. even restore disks can get damaged or degrade) then I would simply copy the new boot disk to a keyring USB memory flash drive (which your BIOS already supports as a boot device).

This way you could keep it hooked onto the back of the PC using the keyring feature and use it when you need.

I am intrigued as to why you want to have a recovery partition as well as the recovery console as a boot option. So please tell the forum why so other people can benefit. :eek:)

12. zhl203

zhl203 Member

Hi Phil2000
    Thanks again. The link is very useful. I now have successfully installed the Recovery Console as a Startup Option. I am now at the command page but my new problem is what command do I input to start the recovery? I have reviewed all the available commands but none of them seems appropriate. Also since I had to insert the Setup CD to install the Recovery Console, if I run the recovery, do I have to put insert the Setup CD again in the CDRom Drive? If yes, then it defeats the purpose again. If no, my further worry is that it will install the windows in the Setup CD as it's not a genuine windows. Again, my ultimate goal is to somehow copy all the contents from the original Recovery CDs into a partitioned drive and then run the recovery process without any CDs involved. This is necessary for me because my CDRom sometimes doesn't read the original recovery CDs. The reason why I created the partitioned drive is because I thought it's a necessary step for the Recovery Console (is it not?).

If I cannot get the above solution, I will consider your method by using the keyring USB. But my question is what is a keyring USB? What is the keyring feature? This is a new terminology to me. Thanks again.

13. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Hi,

Depending on how your original CD recovery discs have been compiled you may not be able to do what you want. Whilst in windows try copying the recovery discs onto your new partition (lets say for example this new partition has been assigned the drive letter H:

Once this is done you need to boot into the recovery console on start up (if you have followed the steps correctly you shouldn't require the windows CD). If you can then change into the partition that has been created by yourself for the recovery, then you should be ok. Typically you type in the drive letter followed by a colon, eg H: and press enter.

The recovery console typically only lets you access certain areas of certain partitions and does not usually give full access to files, after all it is only meant as a method to fix issues and recover the O/S, so don't be surprised if you can't get into your H: drive!!

If this is your scenario then you probably won't be able to do what you want to do. There may be a solution, but I really can't help you with it.

What I was suggesting may be far more simpler for you. I use it for PC's I build for work as well as for clients who purchase them from me.

What I do is this.

1) Install XP on fresh HDD, with 3 partitions C: Main drive for programs (30-40Gb), D: Data drive for storage of documents (50-440Gb depending on drive) and E: my recovery partition (10Gb).

2) Install all drivers, and update XP with all updates from internet etc.

3) Install other programs they want i.e. anti-virus, anti-spyware, Office etc.

4) Setup networking (if pc is to be used on a domains etc).

5) create recovery image of the whole of C: (usually makes an 8-9Gb image file which I put on the recovery partition).

6) create a boot disk onto a blank CD.

7) Copy the files from the CD to a USB flash keyring like below:

[​IMG]

As you can see the flash drive has a keyring attachment which I simply hook onto a fan grill / air vent on the rear of the PC for easy access whenever a restore is required.

8) test system!!

9) Hide partition using gdisk from Symantec.

Let us know how you get on!

14. zhl203

zhl203 Member

Hi Thanks. I'll try some times this weekend. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

15. zhl203

zhl203 Member

hi sorry for the late update. Ok, at the recovery console start up screen, I typed R: (that's the recovery partition I created) and I see R:> and was prompted for further command. I don't know what to type next. Also I don't know if there's a particular way I have to follow to copy the recovery CDs to the recovery partition so that it will execute the files in R. There are 6 CDs, so I named them RECOVERY_CD_PART1 - 6. Should I convert them into image files first? It just doesn't run the recovery from R.

Anyway, I will experiment more when I have time (and it's not until June because I'm studying for a big test in June)

16. mttnokc

mttnokc Member

I know exactly what you mean, if you would ike we can begin the google journy together. email me at mttnokccox@yahoo.com