1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i determine if a motherboard is fully compatible with the speed of the processor?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by alijayadv, Dec 4, 2011.

1. alijayadv

alijayadv Member

do a cheap motherboard affects the speed of the processor... how can i tell if the motherboard is good?
    example im planning to have an AMD AM3 ATHLON II X4 640 3.with a cheap mother board EMAXX MCP61M-iCAFE???
    why do other motherboard is cheaper and other are more expensive? whats the differences?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. lelindaedwards

lelindaedwards Member

Hi, Having a cheap motherboard does not affect the speed of the processor, but unfortunately the motherboard you've selected will not support an AMD Athlon II according to the website i've found:
    emaxxtech.com/products.php?id=8
    There is more to it also. Some motherboards are Micro ATX, like that one you mentioned, and some are full sized ATX. You still have everything you need on a Micro ATX board but as a PC builder, having a full sized ATX motherboard is so much easier to deal with and there is more room to work.

I've never heard of eMaxx before but I wouldn't trust them. The best ones to go for are Asus and Gigabyte, although you don't need to go for their flagship models. The top motherboards are more stable when overclocking for us gamers, many cheap boards simply do not have the option available to overclock.

This is probably the best quality motherboard for its price:
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128445&cm_re=gigabyte_am3_usb3-_-13-128-445-_-Product
    I've been using these boards for several PC builds and have yet to have a problem. They just work :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011