1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I use the HDMI output provided by my Motherboard?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dabossman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. dabossman

dabossman Member

About 6 months ago I bought a custom made HTPC from eBay.

The system was sold as having a working HDMI connection, however this has never worked for me. Up until now this has not been a problem as I have succesfully used one of the 2 x DVI ports to connect to my Samsung TV, and use Optical out to provide sound through my AV Receiver. These DVI ports are provided via the Nvidea Geforce 8600 GTS graphics card.

However, I now have a need to use the HDMI output which is present at the back of the Antec case but cannot get it working at all.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte S-Series GA-MA78GM-S2H.

Ideally I would like to be able to use the motherboard HDMI output in addition to the DVI outputs provided by the graphics card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

J.

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

sounds interesting, heres a little that ive found: The HDMI output of this motherboard only supports parts of HDMI Rev.1.3 specification. It does not support several main functions of HDMI Rev.1.3 specification, such as DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, Blu-ray/HD DVD Video and Audio at full resolution.{it only supports ac3, DTS, and 2-channel LPCM (it may not be great-sounding to you, but asus makes a pass-through card of sorts that takes in a hdmi signal and otputs the audio features that are missing from this board.- check out for a little more info on this option.

Had you tried changing the DVI/D-SUB to D-SUB/HDMI from the BIOS setup? someone elsewhere recommended this as well as being in the manual. to get to bios you will be prompted to press a key at initial start up.

Lastly, usually (not always) there is not an option to use onboard gfx with an expansion video card. i think this system probably does not support it. but, dvi to hdmi adapters exist only dvi does not carry audio, only display.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can't use onboard video with a videocard.

4. dabossman

dabossman Member

If that is the case I really have wasted a lot of time.

Assuming it is correct, then theoretically I could disable my Nvidia Graphics card and then my PC would default to the onboard graphics card.

Sounds right, but did not work unfortunately.

@mrslicker - I have already enabled d-sub/HDMI i the Bios without positive results.

About to admit defeat I'm afraid.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You would neeed to remove graphic card for onboard to work as the still installed card will take precendence on reboot

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

agreed with scorp on card removal.