1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I video switch 4 component sources for under $600?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by bcardell, Feb 8, 2005.

1. bcardell

bcardell Member

I want to hook my computer, my HD cable box, my PS2, and my DVD player to my HDTV. It seems like this would be a fairly common setup, but I can't find a good receiver to do this for under $600.

Of course I want to send the video signal from my cable box and my DVD player with component cables for the best picture.
    Sending a 1280x1024 or 1024x768 signal from my computer by s-video cables looks okay, but it seems it could be a lot sharper. I'm guessing if I go dvi-to-component out of my video card, I'll be able to choose a 1080i mode or find some way to get a sharper picture on the TV than I do with s-video.
    And I'm just finding out that Gran Tursimo 4, which I've been anxiously awaiting, can send 1080i, so I should get a component video cable for my PS2.

Is my setup so crazy? Why is it so rediculous to ask for a receiver with 4 component video inputs for $500? My TV (Sony KV-32HS420) has 2 component inputs, but if I have to change the TV from video5 to video6 and back every time I want to watch a movie it's really inconvienient. I thought the point of an A/V receiver was to be able to select a video-audio pair, for the TV and speakers, with one button.
    I'd really rather not have to switch my universal remote to control the TV, switch the source to video 5, then switch my remote to conrol the reciever, and choose the DVD audio, and then switch everything back when I want to watch TV. I want to be able to press "DVD" and watch a movie, and then press "CBL" and go back to watching cable.

Has anyone out there solved this problem without spending an arm and a leg? Please help because I really don't want to have to get up and press a button on a seperate video selector box. Maybe I'm just lazy, but isn't this stuff supposed to be convienient?

Thanks for any help!

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Looks like you need an A/V selector. $100 - $300.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  3. raybob

raybob Member

I have the Philips mod# ph61153 auto audio/video selector with rf modulator $39.95 from walmart.I have A Directv TIVO,PS2,DVD & VCR hooked to it. There is s-video & RCA for for each of the four inputs & two outputs(RCA/S-vid & cable).The "box" auto switches when I turn on component in order of importance(set up by order you hook up inputs.One of the outputs is to tv & other is to "rabbit"(radioshack) with IR transmitter to tv in bedroom. Sony remote commander #rm-av2100 controls everything or original remotes. this was my cheap way out of xtra sat box/fees & redundant A/V equip. in bedroom. Hope this helps. "It worked for me."

4. bcardell

bcardell Member

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a selector could work for me. I'm having trouble finding one though. Does anyone know of a selector with 4 component video and digital audio inputs (and one output), that either auto switches or can be controled by most universal remotes?
    Actually, one of the sources (computer) could be DVI instead of component video, and I havn't bought a DVD player yet, so one of the sources could be HDMI instead of component video. Also, an HDMI output would work with my TV. So I'm a little flexible, but I still can't seem to find the right box.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Look into the the new pelican A/V selector for component and optic inputs. Also, radioshack makes a pretty good A/V selector for S-Video and optic. It even upconverts composite video and analog audio. Both are around $100. Google for more selection. Look for an amplified selector, even if you have long source and output cables you won't have to worry about signal strength. Don't [bold]cheap[/bold] out either, look to pay $100 at the very least.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  6. bcardell

bcardell Member

From the ads I've seen, the pelican system selector pro requires you to go up to it and push a button on the box to switch systems.
    I've been looking at the Audio Authority Model 1154A. It will accept 4 component video and digital audio sources, and switch them automatically, for around $160.

7. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

Try: http://www.inday.com/

I have two Inday switchers (model with remote control) and they are awesome for the price and have a 230MHz bandwidth better than any a/v receiver on the market that I personally know of.

The RGB4X-R model is a great deal at on $149 for the quality.

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I looked into these a while ago. These are pretty good, especially for the price. bcardell, have you checked these out yet?

9. bcardell

bcardell Member

I still think I will go with the Audio Authority unit, because it will switch video AND audio, and do it automatically. This way I can control the signal sent to the TV and receiver just by turning devices on and off:
    priority4 - Computer(always on)
    priority3 - CableBox (usually on)
    priority2 - PS2 (on when in use)
    priority1 - DVD (on when in use)
    If everything is on, I will see and hear DVD, if computer and cable box are on, I will see and hear cable. You get the idea. My cable box remote has buttons to power on/off other devices, so most of the time it will only take ONE button to switch sources.
    Now if I can just figure out how to turn the PS2 on and off with my mind I'll be set.

With the Inday unit I will have to change the remote to control the RGB4X-R, change the video source on the RGB4X-R, then change the remote to control my receiver and change the audio source on my receiver. That's like 6 button pushes! (again, call me lazy)

I think I just like the idea of one button switching, seems like that is the way all this stuff SHOULD work. I saw that one website said the Audio Authority 1154A had a bandwidth of 100Mhz, this is ample isn't it? Thanks for the info, guys.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  10. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

The Inday's 230MHz could be considered overkill - in a good way (having more of a good thing). However, you are right about 100MHz being enough. I can't remember right off the top of my head but I think HDTV requires 27MHz minimum. Most receivers start at this level but newer models kept going up to 54, 100, etc. Could be marketing, better performance and/or both. Better to have more bandwidth than what the signal truely requires in my view.

11. bbbangell

bbbangell Guest

Hi I know you may have brought the modulator for your HDTV already, but I will still post this in case someone else may need the info.

Try a RF Modulator, but go to a site like epionions.com, nextag.com,and store.yahoo.com these sites will allow you to compare prices from different sites and some even include consumers reviews.

Hope this info helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2005
  12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

RF modulator? WTF are you talking about?

13. bcardell

bcardell Member

Yeah man, completely unrelated. Advertise somewhere else.

14. jaker18x

jaker18x Member

Are you saying that you are connecting your computer video out from your video card to a receiver to your tv...If so, how are you doing it..I have been trying to connect my computer video out from my FX 5200 svideo connection through my Philips receiver to my TV and can't get it to work...

15. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Using composite or s-video to display computer video is pretty mickey mouse. The picture is going to be blurry at best, even if you lower resolution. If you insist on going the s-video route, then you should go into your system's settings and select the s-video output for your main video source.

The people who have contributed earlier probably have updated displays with Component, DVI, HDMI, RGB, etc. inputs. Try posting your question in the appropriate forum. Doing this may help you get the answers you're looking for.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/100

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  16. Mainedad

Mainedad Member

OK, I have a Philips PH61153.

Is there any way I can record one VCR (or camcorder) to another?

Steve

17. bcardell

bcardell Member

I think I've got it.
    I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-SR602. It only switches 3 component video sources, but I can plug the fourth direct to my TV. The TX-SR602 says it has a 50MHz bandwidth for HDTV, is this going to be a problem for 1080i?
    The whole reason I started this thread was so I could easily get all my components to switch together, so I could switch everything, and turn it on if necessary, with the push of one button. Well I think I've finally found a good solution. I've learned that my cable box remote is compatible with something called JP1, and with a little research I can learn how to completely customize the remote for my ca4ble box. This means I can make the DVD button a macro that sends the following signals: Turn on TV if it's not already on, Tune TV discreetly to video3, turn receiver on if it isn't already, tune receiver to DVD audio, turn DVD player on if it isn't already, all with the push of one button!
    Plus, with this solution I can use the HDMI input on my TV if I get an HDMI DVD (or HDDVD?) player in the future! Plus it's free!