1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I Backup DVD Movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jaydee123, Dec 29, 2003.

1. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

I tried til I was blue in the face, I simply can't copy one of my DVD movies for backup purposes.
    Here are some of the programs I have, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, Nero 5.5.10.54, & Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator. I simply don't know what I have to do, Please give me step by step instructions on how to do this, & remember it's gotta be easy. I have try CloneDVD2.2 & it virtualy idiot proof, (ya I can make a DVD with this program) but its too expensive. For hardware I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD burner & a Asus P4PE 2.4 intel. If you require further info please ask & I will remit. Here's hoping the you can help me, & please remember a STEP by Step instructions if at all possible. Thanks in advance to all replies.

dave

2. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

I did a search & found a post that someone typed up, & found it quite interesting, but in my eyes it left out some important things, like.....if the file is bigger that the 4.7 gigs (like most do I think) how do I compress the file so it fit on one disc or I could do it Movie Only or plus IFOs, what in the heck are IFOs.

Dave

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Nice burner! The simplest method is to use DVD Shrink to decrypt/compress your movie to your hard drive and then use Nero to burn it to a blank disc. Here's a wonderful link that will get you up and running with step by step instructions:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

1.IFO
    UFOs that have been identified

2.IFO
    In video editing, IFO normally refers to a file on DVD-Video disc and stands for InFOrmation.

While the main content of DVD-Video disc are the VOB files which contain the actual MPEG-2 audio, video and subtitle streams, the IFO files provide information for DVD player where DVD-Video disc's chapters start, where certain audio tracks are located, etc..

I pasted 2. from the afterdawn glossary :D

Frank

5. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

I tried something very similiar with Nero & came up with a Unsupported Format while trying to play it on my computer.I was on the understanding that you need to make a "iso" on the decryption files & then burn.
    Atleast this is the way CloneDVD does it.
    Do I need to make a iso file??? then burn it?? Or does Nero somehow go around that.

Dave

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jaydee123,

It's not time for you to try [bold]
    it's time to try it [bold]EXACTLY[/bold] the way it was presented –

You asked for "easy" – if you had looked at the guides at all, you would have known it was easy -
    Exactly, means it will work - doing it your way - - Ooohh well, yea – we already know -

Nephilim wasn't answering your post because he's paid to, I'm positive he has many other things to do but, he's here TRYING to help you –

He’s really very sorry Nephilim, he didn’t know he was being so rude -

Sooo jeedee123, here ya go my friend, take it or leave it BUT don’t whine about it –

You say you have DVD DeCrypter for DVD-5’s, OK, just read the guide -

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm

You say you have DVD Shrink for DVD-9’s (I actually like DVD Shrink for all DVD's), OK, just read the guide -

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

And you say you have Nero for burning, OK just - -

what's that you say ??

Well alright - - yea, you’re on the right track now –

I’m so proud of you now; I’ll even help you out with Nero – here's your Step by Step –

1. Do not use Nero Wizard.
    2. When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on DVD Video. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the DVD Shrink folder holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “Burn” and Baby, now you are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Computer.
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, it will let you know.

See that, with a little reading on your part you’ll have the whole package –

Enjoy,
    “P”

Ooohh and Yea, now that you are starting to treat us like people, not doormats -

Welcome to the Neighborhood -

"P"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  7. Nephilim

"He’s really very sorry Nephilim, he didn’t know he was being so rude - "

Did I miss something? Was he pissed I just gave him a link? If anyone knows a better step by step than Oriphus' then by all means endow Dave with it! Better yet, buy me a plane ticket and I'll fly there and sit down with him and show him. He's gotta buy the beer though.

!!Edited for clarity!!Nothing aimed at Pete!!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gun Control - The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, strangled with her pantyhose is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to the police how her attacker recieved that fatal bullet wound.[/small]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

9. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

First of all Pete, ya sound like my grade 5 teacher, (do it exactly this way) well....I did, & guess what???? It works Igor, it works. Don't cha feel proud Pete??? Cuz ya taught me something. The similiar thing was, exactly that, similiar, I was told in another forum to download a Nero Profile that would help me set up Nero to do the compilation. I guess the profile wasn't very good. But u Pete ol' boy, did it, & I thank you for that. I must admit that this forum kinka rocks, or should I say BURNS.
    And so I don't forget all the others who replied to my post of the thread, thanks for your input, I named Pete cuz he just stands out like a $7.00 Verbatim DVD+R Coaster. (just kidding Pete, we all know Verbatim doesn't make coasters)

Dave

Ps I hope everyone had a merry Xmas as I did, & hope you all have a Happy New Year!!!

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok guys; guess I was having a bad day in the wheelchair -

I got ticked because Nephilim gave him a most EXCELLENT link -
    Now if you re-read my post there Good Guy, you'll see I was responding to Dave's reply - not your post - He wasn't pissed about your link, he didn't even care enough to even read it much less try it -

Like I said, I was having a poor day, it takes me awhile to type my posts and to have others say they tried "something" like that and it didn't work so therefore other's info is worthless - (Jesus, see that, I'm off again - Sorry) OK, so from now on, I'll just ignore those who are whining online -

Dave's reply was -

The long and short is -

Great information was given and not even given tried

(herbsman, you surprised me, I felt sure you would have read it the way it was written)

Lastly, Dave, I've answered some of your other posts and you present yourself very nicely there, kind of shocked me the way you were on this one -

Again, tried to clear the air, I NEVER suggested that Chris's guides were not the best around, I used them and if you see my other posts you’d see that I recommend them to others on a daily basis - -

Let's put this baby to bed, OK ??

Sorry all and my best wishes for

A Happy New Year -

Pete

11. Nephilim

Didn't mean to sound like I was mad at you Pete! It was directed at Dave because I got bitched out for trying to help him.

You all take good care and have a safe New Year!

12. herbsman

Sorry , but the way Jaydee was reacting to help didn't make me the most enthusiatic to aide in a comprehensive guide. Plus Pete , you'd given all relevent info in post dated -30 Dec 2003 11:06 PM-
    I don't think I had taken anything said wrongly myself as I hadn't paid 100% attention to this thread ;-)
    (thinking of course that really this had all been taken care of [jaydee's so called problem])

I know better than most about typing a full step by step guide just to have a user say 'well..err yeah I tried summink like that & it didnt work' (lol)

Keep up the good work Pete & I hope everyone in here has a good'n of a New Year !!

13. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

It looks like my attempt of my sense of humor failed with Pete, as he & I seemed to have the same type of humor. I did not mean to be mean or rude for that matter. It just trying to be funny & it back fired, ohh well say la VE.Sorry Pete ol' boy sorry if I ruffled yer feathers, as that was not my intention.Or to any others for that matter.
    But that was last year & hope you don't hold any grudges. So in the future I will try & watch my PEEEEEEE's & QUUUU's & dot my i's.
    But in the mean time no one answered my question about ISO's. It looks like CloneDVD needs to make a ISO of the decryption files before burning & then burns the iso. But I was courious why Nero doesn't need to do this.
    I promise to read everything this time to the letter.

Dave

14. herbsman

ISO is not needed in Nero cos VOB BUP IFO are natural DVD type files.
    I wouldn't know about CloneDVD myself as I have never had need to use it.
    I use ; DVD Decrypter > DVD2One > Nero
    [bold]or[/bold]
    DVD Shrink > Nero

15. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Hey Pete, I found that Nero Profile I told you about that made me think I tried the same thing before, can you & if you have some time take a look at this message & profile & tell whats wrong with it (just courious) cuz I'm still on yer side. (yer the man Pete)
    here is the url, http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=75455
    & if anyone else can take a look see be do & let me know there findings.
    Please note I'm still listening & reading your posts, I'm just courious where I where I went wrong with this profile or why the profile is wrong. & lastly (ya I know couriuosity killed the cat) but I'm no cat.

yer fellow member & ever so greatful fellow burner, Dave

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No worries Dave, I'll check it out this weekend -

Pete

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yo Dave,

Been over to that site - those guys are deeply into CD Burning and have just gotten started into DVD's. That guide you saw has been changed several times in the last few days and they still have got some bugs -

In other words their guide wasn't completely correct. The Boss guy there is very sharp and is fine-tuning his work as we speak but lacks some experience at present - He will be good, fast but NOW, ???? - -(For instance -he hasn't got any experience with Nero 6.0 at all, still working with 5.5) ;-) -

We be da guys here -

Check their thread - someone has been "dabbling" their feet in the water over there already –

I picked up a nice img tool there – going to have to find time to play with it – see if it has any differences -

Frank, Herbsman, want to download this “Puppy “ to see if it’s got any teeth :)<) ?

http://www.coujo.de/ib/index.php?act=html_include&incl_name=download

I'd love to hear your opinions guys ;- ))

Pete

18. herbsman

I gave it a d/l , dunno when I'll get round to checking it out tho (?)
    I use [bold]Nero 6 Ultra Edition[/bold] and Nero Image Drive comes with the package , but it apparently has bugs & gives bluescreen exceptions etc so I have it disabled.
    I dont & haven't ever really had need for an IMG TOOL before , if I have an ISO I want to burn for instance I use DVDDecrypter ; )

I may get round to using it , so many things I would like to get to checking out - [bold]lmao[/bold]

19. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks Pete, Hi herbsman,
    I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it. I think you load your DVD files into it but I don't know why.
    I will quietly listen to any explanations that might shed some light on this subject.
    I like to be familiar with as many programs as I can because for some reason I like to answer questions. I find that much more challenging than actually burning DVDs. Since I started burning them and coming to this forum I don't watch movies very much anymore. hehe.

Best wishes,

Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004