1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I burn a downloaded movie onto dvd

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by dllfb, Nov 2, 2005.

1. dllfb

dllfb Member

I hope I have the correct forum...I am new to this along with being new to forums.

I have downloaded a movie using Azureus onto my computer (windows xp). I am trying to copy the movie with Nero Start Smart onto a dvd so I can watch it with my dvd player.
    Someone told me that on Nero Start Smart, I must go to the CD/DVD prompt and then to the data prompt then to the make data dvd prompt. When the disc content page pops up and I add the movie I want to copy onto it then I press next and the final burning page settings page pops up. I am not being allowed to print anything in the current recorder section, nor am I allowed to
    press the "burn" option (not lit up as other prompts are at the bottom of the page) I have tried this with both dvd-r and dvd+r disks and it doesn't
    work. It will work with a regular cd however and when I play it on the computer it does work...and I can watch it on the computer with Nero showtime as well....however...what am I doing wrong...I want to watch these on my dvd player/tv....could someone please point me in the right direction...please use simple beginners lingo as well...I'm a remedial learner...thanks so much in advance.!

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

the file you have downloaded is it an avi.If so you will need to convert that file to mpeg2 before you attempt to burn it with your nero.

heres a free version of vso divx to dvd.Run your file through it and it will be converted to mpeg2.Once you have achieved this then open your nero and add the converted file.

http://www.filepedia.com/video_software/dvd-r_tools/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

3. dllfb

dllfb Member

Thanks so, so, so, much andmerr...you don't know how much I appreciate your reply! Now, I checked my download and it does state avi file after the download...but on the miniova site where I downloaded the movie from, the link for the movie download doesn't state avi...how can I tell if a movie is avi or not before I download it...or are they all? Thanks again!

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

ok the easiest way to find out the stats of your file is to download a program designed simply for that.

Download avicodec from the link below, run your file through it and post the properties and then we can continue if you like.

http://avicodec.duby.info/

[​IMG]

5. dllfb

dllfb Member

thanks andmerr....I've been reading and trying but I can't seem to get anywhere with this divx you suggested that I download...you said to run my avi file through it to change it to mpeg 2...could you give me a play by play on this for me please...told you I was a remedial learner...lol! thanks again...I really appreciate your time and effort!

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Ok ,see the avicodec info.

1.hAVE YOU DOWNLOADED IT.
    2click on the select button and load your avi file that you downloaded into it.
    3.At the bottom of the screen your file will display some properties of file/video/and audio.
    4.Copy those properties and paste them in your next answer.
    5.Once we see what the properties are then we can continue.

7. dllfb

dllfb Member

ok..get..em...
    file: 699mb, duration: 141:15, type: AVI,1% audio stream,quality 48%
    video: 607mb, 838kbpsk, 23.976fps, 640*272 (2.21:1), XVID=XVID
    Mpeg-4, supported
    Audio: 91MB, 126Kbps,48000Hz, 2channels, 0x55=MPEG ,Layer-3, supported

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

9. dllfb

dllfb Member

yes sir ee

10. dllfb

dllfb Member

what shall I do on that andmerr?

11. dllfb

dllfb Member

woops crashed....converting it as I speak...write...

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

after you downloaded the program, open it up.

[​IMG]

Now click on the source file :

[​IMG]

Locate where that avi is on your computer and double click it.It should come up in the divx to dvd source line
    Also choose whether the converted file is going to be dumped
    Next: choose the functions that apply to you.

[​IMG]

If you want to do 4:3 or 16:9 its up to you, i personally just leave it as automatic.

Next press convert and your away:

[​IMG]

wHAT are your pc stats, :when you are converting you wont be able to surf the net basically just let the conversion do its thing.

Let me know how you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  13. dllfb

dllfb Member

ok...I'm back...starting to think maybe I should go and buy this darn dvd...lol...I tried opening it with nero express....window pops up stating..."You have added dvd video content to a compilation type that will not result in a dvd-video compliant disc. To create video playable on stand alone dvd players, please use dvd-video compilation type." I checked the ... do not show this message again and then the burn open finally came one...however..when I pressed it, another window popped up and stated..please insert the disc to write to - disc required for the compilation CD-R/RW...Disc type in recorder is empty. I actually had a DVD-R ready to be burned...tried to redo the process...and the same message comes up.
    Do movies actually download themselves to be used on the standalone DVD players on CD discs??? Should I go out and buy some of those discs too now? lol...have accumulated quite a collection since I started this hobby...lol

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I gather then that you have managed to convert your file to that of a dvd movie format (commonly now called mpeg2)

Ok you have nero , i dont use this i prefer to use the upgraded version, nero recode2 or did you have tmpgenc dvd author

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I gather then that you have managed to convert your file to that of a dvd movie format (commonly now called mpeg2)

Ok you have nero , i dont use this i prefer to use the upgraded version, nero recode2 or did you have tmpgenc dvd author

16. dllfb

dllfb Member

no I used nero extra

17. dllfb

dllfb Member

in the file where I coverted into it starts out with a yello file entitled VIDEO_TS...when I open that up it has the file I converted
    (I think??) named VTS_01_2.VOB
    DVD Movie

18. dllfb

dllfb Member

and when I go to properties of this it states dvd movie..opens with
    nero showtime 778 MB....I was just reading something about computers on routers sometimes operating differently (not that I understood much of it)...I am using my laptop (my secondary computer) for all of this attempted movie making....with a Linksys Broadband Router off of my main computer. Does that make any difference?

Thanks again for all of your patience andmerr!

19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

broadband /routers ,makes no difference.

Would of preferred you to use the program suggested.

Did you get an audio_ts folder as well?You should find that the audio_t fo;der is empty but thats natural, we need both but the audio folder will be empty and the video folder will have both portions of sound and video merged togethjer in it.Before we proceed try using the program i suggested.Need to see if divx to dvd will do this.

20. dllfb

dllfb Member

ok...will do that now...your link took me to nero 7.0.1.2__eng.exe...hope that's the correct version ...should I delete Nero Start Smart or is this an additional part to it??