1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I burn Divx for DVD Players?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by falconmog, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falconmog

falconmog Member

I'm having trouble burning Divx Files into files watchable on DVD players...I have it encoded as an mpeg with Avi2Vcd, but that's it...if anyone can help me, please do...thanks

2. Wire

Wire Guest

If you made mpeg (VCD standard) file at DivX. Burn it with Nero Burner then you have "real" VCD. Now you can watch it with StandAlone DVD-player.

aD have guide for DivX->VCD

3. Snowface

Snowface Member

There's also the possibility to drag your avi's in Nero. Just select a new project -> vcd's or svcd's -> drag 'n drop avi -> Nero will create mpeg's.
    But since Nero isn't the fastest conversion, try it with small files first. Or, if you don't mind remuxing, try CCE: very fast, excellent quality, works with AviSynth.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

And really, Nero produces horrible quality.

5. Wire

Wire Guest

Snowface: I never even think about to build DVD-rips type "We make all At one click!!!!" programs. Almost every time quality is terrible.

You must remember CCE is also very expensive.

6. falconmog

falconmog Member

I've tried to drag and drop the DivX file into VCD of Nero, but I get no sound when I watch it on my DVD player...do you know how to fix this?

7. Wire

Wire Guest

What version you use. In 5.5.8.x versions have VCD build problems. Upgrade to 5.5.9.0

8. Snowface

Snowface Member

I know that CCE is expensive (offically)
    but since software changes too much too fast, I don't use legal software anymore (sorry !)
    Except for WindowsXP, but that came with my computer

9. falconmog

falconmog Member

Ok...I just downloaded 5.5.9.0. I'm gonna see if my VCD will have audio and video instead of just video.

10. falconmog

falconmog Member

Well, Nero 5590 works perfectly...the only problem I have now, is that my movies are too big to fit on CD...does anyone know how to compress Divx (avi) files moreso than they already are?

11. dRD

falconmog: Easy, simply re-encode using VirtualDub. Movie quality will just drop around 90% making movies virtually unwatchable.

12. dRD

...umh.. Now after re-reading, your problem is that you are converting DivX to VCD with Nero and it doesn't fit to one CD? VCDs virtually never fit on one CD and it can't be changed -- 10mins of VCD takes 100megs, always.

13. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, you can extend the length of your movie from the 74 odd minute CDR by using the Advanced options in Nero, by 'adding a few minutes to your CDs rated length' but this NEVER works (for me anyway). Anyone managed to get it to work? And with which media? I hear of 99 minute CDRs and would hope that most films (OK not Titanic, but who wants that anyway?) would fit on CDRs of that length...

P.

PS : It is not that I mind paying a few pence for an extra CD to record 3 minutes of movie and ten minutes of credits, mind you, just that (until Sony produce a DVD Changer) I don't like getting up and changing discs after sitting comfortably for over an hour...

14. Snowface

Snowface Member

The problem with 99 minute cds, is that there are very few cd-recorders which can handle the full 99 minutes. In fact, the only one I know of which can read/write 99 minute cds is Lite-On. My Plextor will quit at 95:30. I can't even read beyond this. So I need the 90 minute version.

15. loaded

Yes, I suppose it is also important that the (preferably standalone) can read the disc after burning it. Does anyone have experience with these longer discs working in standalones? By the way, my recorder is a Pioneer DVD R/RW A04/104.

16. dRD

Normally 90min discs work with new stand-alones.

Obviously the "Chinese players" (zillions of different brands like KISS, Yamakawa, Apex, etc) play longer discs as well, but they can't be used as reference players anyway since they're not real DVD players (but PC parts stucked inside DVD player case).

17. loaded

OK, so I can burn with Pioneer A04, probably play with Philips or Panasonic, but why does Nero never allow me to overburn? (OK wrong forum, sorry dRD :))

By the way, just got back from holiday, it was not supposed to be a sailing holiday, but as I have an apartment in Prague...... Oh Well, thats the price you pay for river views.

By the way how is the sleep coming along ¦-)

P.

PS (stupid question 4) what is a reference player?

18. falconmog

falconmog Member

Well, I got it to work, as much as I hate getting up from my chair and switching CDs...Nero won't overburn for ya? It always does with me...maybe you're not doing it with DiscAtOnce? You also can change the settings to say how much overburn you are allowed. Where do you guys find these 99 minute CDs? I saw 'em at Staples once, and next time I went there, they were all gone.

19. loaded

I am assuming you are a Brit, or at least residing in that delightful little island, as Staples is a big local chain, I think only in England. There is an English company called CD-R Media (link follows:)

http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/listproducts.pl?type=direct&catid=4

That link should get you straight there...

I have not used the company, however.....

Good Luck, P.

PS What is DiskAtOnce?

20. falconmog

falconmog Member

Well, I'm not a Brit...I'm from Rhode Island...the state, not part of New York (you're thinking of Long Island). Anyway, DiscAtOnce is an option you click on when you're about to burn a CD with Nero. This is the only way you can overburn CDs. Basically, it means that this is it, no Multisession; this disc will be burned once, and only once. In order to do it with nero, click on New CD, and then click on "no multisession" (if you're doing a data CD) under the multisession tab. Then, under the Burn tab, click "Disc At Once". You'll be allowed to overburn, but it says it might damage the CD, or the CD Writer (although I've never had any problems...just don't do too much). Also, I put a DivX to a VCD, and the quality it shit...is there a way to fix this quality problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.