1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I convert DTS-MA and TrueHD to LPCM?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by KidKappa, Sep 16, 2008.

1. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

I can stream my copy of Good Luck Chuck from my pc to the ps3 and have the 7mbps audio and 1080p 37mbps video. But thats because its h.264 and lpcm audio. The rest of my movies are either DTS-HD/MA or TrueHD, I can get the video but the audio is always french, spanish, portuguese, director's commentary, is there an easy way to convert the audio to a "streamable" file? I would rather not use the avchd method if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

use a program called eac3to.

Code:
    eac3to input.dts output.wav
    Or if you are not familiar with command line prompting, there is a GUI called eac3to_and_more_GUI, use that with a program called pcm2tsmu, it will take your DTSHD-MA/TrueHD track and make a lossless BD .wav file useable with tsMuxeR.

3. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

how the heck do i use this? its overwhelming, all i want to do is take a abc.m2ts file with truehd/dtshd and create an abc.m2ts file with lpcm, i'm downloading a readme but its taking forever, perhaps a quick tutorial if anyone's up for it?

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Use what? eac3to or ...and_more_GUI?

5. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

either/or, all i'm looking for is truehd to lpcm in a few easy steps

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'll help you out as soon as I get home from work, there's some information I need on my PC at home.

7. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

that'd be great, i've been trying to figure it out for quite awhile. Thanks a bunch.

8. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

Find a way yet Odin?

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Sorry, it's been a crazy couple of days. OK, here we go.

First off, eac3to is an amazing application that can do many things besides audio conversions, I've recently found this out and have been experimenting. If you are at all into video processing you should give it a gander as well. There's a great thread over at the Doom9 forum dedicated to eac3to.

First you'll need eac3to, you can find it on Afterdawn, or here. If you're not familiar with command based prompting you'll need a GUI, I suggest eac3to and more GUI, which can be found here.

Extract the eac3to (from madshi) to it's own folder, now download and extrac the GUI (form mediafire) into the eac3to folder. Once done open the eac3to_and_more_GUI icon, you'll need to configure where it looks for eac3to.exe, you need to make this chnage in the first tab "Paths/Sources", just find the eac3to.exe in the new folder you just made.

Converting TrueHD to PCM using eac3to/eac3to_and_more_GUI, also assuming you already have the TrueHD track ripped to your PC. If it is still in the m2ts file from the BD rip you should demux it using tsMuxeR first.

1. Add Source File - add the TrueHD (ac3) file.
    2. Go to the "eac3to" tab
    3. Select the "Input File" from the dropdown box on the right.
    4. Set the "Save As Type" to .wav
    5. On the right side, in the PCM section check the following,
    - "remap Blu-Ray Channels to 6 channels"
    - "hz = 48000"
    - Set the bits to either 16 or 24, depending on the source.
    - Set the Channels for 5.1 = 6 channels, 7.1 = 8 channels
    - check "Apply these settings to all source files and save..."
    6. "Run command line", found at the bottom left.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more.

10. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

worked like a charm, except it said that "libav cannot decode dts-hd extracting dts core and reencoding" so i guess we'll have to live with that.

Thanks a million.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

That error is telling me that you will not get HD audio, just DTS core, which is only 1.5mb/s.

I'm under the assumption tsMuxeR takes DTSHD-MA and muxes it fine to Blu-ray with no playback issues. However, to decode DTSHD-MA properly with eac3to you need the Arcsoft DTS decoder which comes with Arcsoft Total Media Theatre software. The PS3 also decodes all HD forms of audio and sends it to your audio receiver as PCM.

12. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

I'm not sure, it says on the ps3 that i'm getting around 6.9mbps, so maybe it is doing the hd audio??

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Trust me, if you take an audio track that is encoded at 1.5mb/s, extract the .wavs and put them back together in a multi-channel PCM file you're not going to magically get HD audio.

I know it sounds wierd, and your PS3 says 6.9mb/s... but all you are really getting is a "boosted" DTS track.

The extra HD data from the DTSHD-MA/TrueHD track is what need to truly make your lossless PCM track.

DTSHD-MA and TrueHD work the same, first you have the "core" track (DTS=1536kb/s, and AC3=640kb/s), and attatched to each channel is extra data that makes the track HD. In your case above, that HD data was stripped first (and discarded) because you didn't have the proper tools to decode the HD data, then the wavs were extracted and put back together as a multi-channel PCM file (without the HD data).

Hope the helps and doesn't confuse you.

14. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

ok, so i'm just getting an "unpacked" dts core, that makes sense. So in order to get the hd audio i need this Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, I looked at the page and it says that it will do DTS-MA but it doesn't say anything about TrueHD, will it decode that as well? Also I neglected to mention that I have a receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD does this help in any way or will the bottleneck be the streaming of the content to the ps3?

edit: i just read that libav/ffmpeg will do the TrueHD
    2nd edit: i spoke too soon, just tried watch the file and about 18-20mins in i get a loud "white noise" like sound, like a loud hair dryer and it overpowers/eliminates anything else.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

1. I don't think you can stream TrueHD/DTSHD-MA, you may need to steam as PCM.
    2. If you have a true source (original BD) with TrueHD or DTSHD-MA your PS3 does all of the decoding and sends the sound to your receiver as PCM. Im not sure if you know this but your PS3 audio settings should be set to PCM and not bitstream. At this point, even when you play a BD that has THD or DTSHD your audio receiver will only display PCM because that is all i t is receiving from the PS3.
    3. I'm not sure what that white noise could be.

16. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

i've tried on several converted dts-ma tracks and one truehd track, all get the "white noise" after about 19-24 mins, could it have something to do with .wav file sizes and vista? 4gb?

17. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Possibly. There's another program called pcm2tsmu that is used with eac3to. I'll give it a try, let you know so you can test it out. It's going to be a crazy day for me so it migt not be until tomorrow.

18. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

any luck yet odin?

19. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  20. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

okay, bought the arcsoft decoder, tried decoding a title with dts-hd, still got the white noise after about 8 mins, which reminded me that when i checked out the .wav file eac3to created it showed what it was 8 mins in length although i couldn't play it to check