1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I convert DTS-MA and TrueHD to LPCM?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by KidKappa, Sep 16, 2008.

1. odin24

odin24 Regular member

OK, I just successfully converted a TrueHD track to LPCM using eac3to/pcm2tsmu. I muxed a small sample together at about 60 minutes in to the movie. I only got the R/L channels though, probably due to my set up limitations. The display on my PS3 did say PCM 5.1 6.9mb/s.

I'm still pressed for time, I hope to have something for you before I go to work tonight.

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Pcm2tsmu Download

First you need to convert the TrueHD/DTSHD-MA track to PCM using eac3to (the link is provided above for eac3to).

How to use eac3to using commands, XP - go to "Run" in the Start Menu, Vista - type "cmd" in the search area in the Start Menu.

Converting - There are three parts to the conversion, all separated by a space. All commands need the exact location of the file on your PC.

1. Identify the converter (eac3to and pcm2tsmu)
    2. Identify the source file (TrueHD/DTSHD-MA track)
    3. Identify the new output file (Newly created PCM file)
    4. Press "Enter" (Execute)

Notes:
    Guru.ac3 = original source TrueHD track name
    stdin.pcm = 1st PCM track (incompatible with tsMuxeR)
    stdout.pcm = 2nd PCM track (compatible with tsMuxeR)

The first two lines of the 1st image are what you type (C:\users\Chris...), after you press enter the rest will appear when the conversion is taking place.

eac3to - TrueHD to PCM
    [​IMG]

When this is done you will have a LPCM file that is not compatible with tsMuxeR, this is where we use pcm2tsmu. Basically the same as eac3to, just different converter. This time the progress bar will not go across the screen, it is working though.

While converting (pcm2tsmu - PCM bad to PCM good)
    [​IMG]

After converting
    [​IMG]

The new file will be accepted by tsMuxeR, hope this helps and is not confusing. Anymore questions feel free to ask away.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  3. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

excellent help, while you were doing this i was tinkering with that pcm2tsmu program you recommended and i think i successfully converted a dts-hd to lpcm. i'm still watching the flick but it is 80% complete and no flaws, 6.9 mbps all the way through. Using "eac3to audio" tab i added the .dts file and put save as type to pcm. Then went to the "eac3to stdout" tab and typed in stdout in the "output file name" bar. Then i just ran the command line and i believe it did exactly what you did except in one step. i'm going to try again with a truehd movie and if that works i think i'll try and type up a step by step to get bluray to stream to the ps3.

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

LOL, I tried that too... but couldn't figure it out. It took the long and difficult way for me to understand.

Man, I can't wait to get an HD audio receiver!