1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i copy mini dvd+rw to a regular dvd

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Dodger11, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

I read other forums and it just confused me. im sorry this question is being asked again but i am really lost.

what i am tryng to do is get all my mini dvd+rw (which are 5) into 1 big dvd. i have nero express 6 that cam with my camcorder sony (handycam dcr-dvd105)and i have dvd shrink and dvd decryptor.

i dont know what the process is or how to do it but a step by step help would be great. also any free software that you can recomend that i may need let me know please.

once again thanks ahead of time.i hope you can help me cuz i need it.

2. Bulldozr

Bulldozr Guest

There are probably different software solutions to your problem. For a hardware solution, check out the sony direct burner on the sonystyle website. The model I believe is VDR-MC5 which has a direct burn capability when used with Sony DVD camcorders to consolidate multiple mini dvds to a single large one

3. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

Ok you lost me on that one. i went to the sit and couldnt find anything

4. Bulldozr

Bulldozr Guest

Sorry, the model number is VRD-MC5.

If you go to the Sonystyle website you can download the user manual for the product. (I think it is in their storage solutions section).

The user manual discusses consolidating mini DVDs to a full size DVD but it only supports Sony DVD camcorders.

There is also another model, the VRD-MC3, which should also work for you. However, the MC5 while priced the same as the MC3 apparently adds the capability of also interfacing with Sony Hi-Def camcorders to burn Blue Ray DVDs. In case you upgrade down the road.

5. lavet

lavet Guest

Last year my sister asked if I could put her little disc from her camcorder and put on a regular disc and I tried and tried and tried finally I cut and paste the video on the drive it was in to a folder I made on my computer and it worked except for one. It kept saying Error with disc. So I got that CD Check and used that on it and fixed the problem. I burned her, her video to a light scribe disc and now If I used Nero to edit it and it worked. Now I want to do the same for myself with editing my own video and I can't, go figure.

6. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

ok im able to copy the mini disc on to a dvd using nero. the proble im having is i want to add all my mini dvds i have in to one dvd and be able to edit the movie, i just cant do it with nero express 6

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

A good rule of thumb is you get 1 hour of video, at best quality, on a standard 4.7 GB DVD. You aren't going to fit all of your mini DVD's on one standard DVD.

I know that my Roxio program will let you edit the mini DVD's, and get more than one of them on a standard DVD.

8. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

Roxio? how do i get that?

well i know i can get all my mini dvd on one, i m tryng to put 2 minis on one. can you suggest for me how to do it?

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can Roxio from their site, or get it from Best Buy or Walmart, I would think.

You could look for a way to do it with N-ero, too. I rarely use N-ero and only used it once for video work, long ago.

Are you looking at editing the files, first?

10. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

yeah i was buddy, but i did some searching and downloaded nero 8 trial and it works perfect for editing software

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That is good to know. Sort of off the origninal subject, but how many tracks does N-ero 8 have for overlays, text, etc.?

12. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

i dunno buddy but now i got to find a program the will change my edited movie to a mpeg, can you help?

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You don't need to change the movie to mpeg, if you are burning it to a DVD. Burn it in Nero, where you did the editing.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  14. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Nero is realy not a very sophisticated program to edit video's. The reason for that is that the company has it roots in CD burning. With the arrival of DVD recordable they added DVD burning and because may people use DVD for movies they progressed from DVD-movie bruning to movie editing.
    If is OK to use it to combine various DVD's onto one, but of you wnat to do a lot of editing you need another approach.
    One option is to try Ulead DVD MovieFactory. It's editing possibilities are also limited, but you can extract the MPEG's from a DVD without recompressing whioch you are asking for.
    It is somewhat of a trick to do it but here's how:
    Select "Edit Disc" from the main menu and select the drive where your DVD is located. The program will extract the MPEG files to a temporary folder (you can change the location in the preference menu). Once done, browse to that folder and copy the files to a new location. This is important because MoviMaker will delete the files onec you close the program. You can then use the MPEGs for whatever you wan to use them.

If you want to do a lot of editing a better route is to convert the DVD to DV-AVI files. DV-AVI files are easier to edit and can be opened by any video editing program. A way to do the conversion is described here:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/dvdedit.php

15. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

what if the files i have are vob files? then what

16. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Both methods above are based on having vob-files. DVD always contains vob files.

17. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

ok i did what you told me and it still wont work with nero so i am going to try the program you told me to download.when i copy the files to my hard drive and i try burning the files to a dvd, they dont show up on nero.

18. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have you used N-ero 8? I know that earlier versions were only entry level as far as video work.

The Roxio suites are superior to U-Lead for video editing.

And, for editing, .avi files are better than .mpeg files, but you may lose quality when taking the .vob's, converting them to .avi, then having to encode back to .mpeg to make it DVD compliant.

19. Dodger11

Dodger11 Member

update guys.

i converted the files to avi, then using the movie factory i added 2 mini dvd into one big movie and i was able to add features and chapters.

using movie factory is simple right now its burning so ill let you know how my movie comes out.

thanks guys

20. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Hi GrandpaBW,

I did not check out Nero8 yet. Did they expand video editing much? Do they offer multiple timelines, advanced filters and effects, keyframe-editing and stuff? If so, I may want to check it out. But I am a heavy Premiere Pro user, so my standards are rather high ;-)

Personally I still believe that using separate programs for the various steps (capture-edit-encode-author-burn) offers best possibilities and highest versatility.
    Disadvantage of the all-in-one programs is that they are usually strong in the area where they originate from and are less strong on the other areas.
    My favourite suite is as follows:
    WinDV-Premiere-TMPGEnc-DVDlab-Nero, but I realize that this is beyond the needs of many users ;-)

I agree with your statement that converting to AVI and then back to MPEG-2 for DVD will result in quality loss. But many MPEG editing solutions will also re-encode the original MPEGs. If you have things like transitions or overlay titles in your production re-encoding is actually unavoidable. And then the question becomes if the application has a smart-rendering capability, meaning that it will only re-encode the frames that have been altered (plus the ones that depend on those frames) and leave the others untouched.