1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem How do I determine remote code for DVD player that is missing remote?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by HenryCan, Feb 23, 2015.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I recently received a slightly used DVD player that works fine; unfortunately, the original owner lost the remote. I have a Philips SRP4004/27 universal remote and I would like to know how to find the 4 digit DVD code that the Philips remote will need to control the DVD player.

The DVD player is an Aveis DP202AS. I can't find any websites for Aveis but I get the impression that the player may be a rebranded Daytek, Daewoo, Prima, Insignia, or other brand.

How do I find a remote code for this DVD player? It would be VERY helpful if someone could tell me how to determine if this player is a Daytek, Daewoo, Prima, Insignia or whatever and then determine what model of that brand it is so that I could track down the remote code. (I'm guessing that Aveis DP202AS may have a different model number when it has a Daytek brand.)

I've already tried the only codes given by the Philips website for Daytek, Daewoo, Prima and Insignia, none of which worked. The Philips site has no codes for Aveis.

One other question on a related issue. I already have a DVD player being controlled by the DVD button on the Philips remote. Is there any problem if I put the Aveis DVD player on the button labelled SAT/CBL since I don't have any satellite or cable box? Or does a DVD player HAVE to be controlled by the DVD button? I've been using the SAT/CBL button to try to set up the Aveis: perhaps that's why none of the codes I've mentioned work???

2. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I see that a lot of people have viewed this question but no one has given me even a hint of how to proceed here. I see the post at the top prohibiting people from posting codes and suspect that may be the reason now one is helping. What I don't see - and can't imagine - is why posting codes is prohibited. Who is harmed by posting codes? And if it harms no one, why prohibit it?

In any case, I haven't asked for a code, I've asked how I can determine the code. In other words, if someone can suggest a website with the information or a technique to determine the code for myself, that would be fine and wouldn't violate the rule about sharing codes.

Please, I'm not asking how to make dirty nukes here, I'm asking how to figure out what 4 digit code will operate my DVD player.

Can anyone suggest a way forward? Even suggesting a forum where this question is not off limits would be helpful if the people there are knowledgeable.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look for the user manual for the player as info should be there for the code. also look at the various labels on the unit to see if the code(s) is there.

4. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Good suggestion but, unfortunately, I didn't get the manual with the player. I believe it was discarded long ago. Since I can't find a website for Aveis, I don't know how to get another copy of the manual. Mind you, I've never yet seen a manual for an electronic device that told you its remote code so I'm not particularly confident that manuals contain these codes.

I tried looking for labels but aside from the serial number, which is 10 digits, I see no numbers on any surface of the player, top, bottom, or sides.

It really stinks that manufacturers don't put a sticker with the code on each unit that can be remote-controlled. It really shouldn't be this hard to find out these codes.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1 of my remotes had a manual that had the codes for it to connect to different devices.
    try these 0761, 0817, 0815, 0783 or 1933 or try this.
    1: using the remote control, press the setup button.
    2: press 9, 7, 3, 5
    3: a single digit representing the current region code appears within the yellow bar on the tv screen.
    4: press the left or right arrow buttons to scroll thru region codes until "0" appears. do "NOT" use the up or down arrows. if press the up or down arrows by mistake, turn off & start again.
    5: press setup button twice to save the region code setting.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Since you mention on cnet you play a lot of dvd's i'm wondering why bother with a dvd player,your posting here using the pc so why do you need a dvd player you have the option of just using the pc to play them on a big screen tv.Better still rip all the dvd's with free dvd rippers & store them on the hdd (or a larger external).Once ripped playing them back is as simple as drag n drop to a media player playlist or use something like xbmc (now called kodi) or media portal,Just for the record its how i play my movies & music

7. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I tried the five codes in your first sentence. The first four were clearly wrong: the lit DVD button went off as soon as they'd been entered, which according to the Philips manual means they weren't valid codes. The fifth code was accepted but the next step is apparently to hold the Power button down until it turns off the Aveis but after five minutes or more, it still hadn't turned the Aveis off. (It did, however, turn the TV on and off once and my other DVD player on and off a few times.)

Next, I tried 9735 but I'm not sure where this yellow bar is supposed to be. Do you mean the rounded box at the bottom of the screen, followed by File Type and Sort File? That was the only yellow bar I saw but nothing of any kind appeared there after I pressed 9735. Also, I'm curious why you want me to change the region code to 0. I understand that this is a good thing so that I can play disks from other regions but it doesn't appear to help me control the Aveis player. I'm a lot more concerned with being able to navigate menus at this point rather than playing foreign disks.

I really appreciate your suggestions! What do I try next?

My A/V setup is a lot more modest than you think it is :)

My TV does not have a big screen, it is a Toshiba 20AF43, which is a 20 inch CRT model. I have no large external HDD at the moment nor can I afford to get one right now.

I would, however, be quite willing to connect my laptop to the TV and use it for a monitor if you can tell me how to do it. The laptop is an ASUS K55N, about 2 years old, and has a 15 pin VGA (female) port and three USB ports. There's also an HDMI (female) port. What is my best way to send the video (and audio) from the laptop to the Toshiba TV? Can I buy the necessary cable at Best Buy or a store like that? Or would I have to make it up myself?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You'd most likely need a vga adapter cable to i assume rca or a vga to rca adapter & a separate cable to connect both,it will be fine for viewing movies & pictures & they will look clear as you'd expect,however the desktop,explorer & web pages may appear slightly blurred more so any writing

9. dp70

dp70 Member

Go to the web site of the universal remote manufacturer, from there search for codes by model number.
    When all else fails use your favorite search engine , with player model number and universal remote code name.
    I had one code, where I had to poll through the code library of the universal remote device, until it turned the device off.
    My favorite universal remote Philips SRU5106/27- it is an older and possibly a better model is available.
    In addition to a code library it can be taught.

10. sikosrus

sikosrus Member

Assuming you have manual for your said remote. You should be able to scan thru all codes programed into remote to find the one that works with dvd player. sometimes alternate codes will work with different players. Most universal remotes have the option to do a complete search of all codes in the case that brand is not listed. Codes that are listed are newest first. Also you should be able to setup any key to run any device instructions should be in your remote manual. I found your manual here http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/philips/srp400427.html?p=7 Update I just read this in your manual:
    If the device does not respond at all or not to
    all of the key commands or if you cannot find
    the code for your brand, enter ‘9, 9, 9, 9’ in step
    3 and continue with step4. The remote control
    will now search its full database for a code
    that works with your TV. Full database search
    may take upto 15 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  11. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Thank you. I tried the 9999 method and it kicked itself out of setup mode after about 6 minutes. I assumed that meant it was done. But the remote still wouldn't control the DVD player.

None of these other methods seems to be panning out; this may end up being my best bet. That's not ideal but I could live with it. Thank you.

I had hoped to avoid the expense of another remote, especially tracking down an older possibly discontinued model. I'm not sure why it would work better than my nearly new remote but I'll keep that in mind if nothing else gets the job done.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  12. sikosrus

sikosrus Member

One way you can go is to stream your dvd to your TV by way of software called Playon on laptop and a ROKU box connected to your TV. If you are familiar with streaming and ROKU you can install free My Media app on Roku and setup your laptop dvd drive in Playon to stream content to tv. There are many free aps with roku. I haven't had cable tv in years. you must have a wireless capability for home networking

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

As stated by one of the other posters, if you have the manual for your universal remote you can usually get it to manually search for the working code for the DVD player. The player usually needs to be power on and then when searching you watch for it to power off when you hit the right code. You need the remote manual to find the right steps to get to the search feature. All remotes are somewhat different.

14. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have a cheap universal remote and basically i manually searched with it by holding down set and power for 30 seconds and the red light on the remote starting flashing and it was tuned in.manually search for the instructions on how to manually search you should be able to tune it in that way.im assuming this is the remote and they have a pdf file with user manual http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...erManuals&mid=Link_UserManuals&scy=US&slg=AEN