1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I download Audio and burn to CD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mhow, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mhow

mhow Member

Whenever I'm on my pc, I click on a favorite website which gives me access to loads of 'Golden Oldies.' I can click on a particular artist and listen to a medley of songs by the artist. I usually minimize to the taskbar while I'm using the pc. The sound quality, for me, is excellent and my question is this....... How can I save this sound to my hhd and then burn it to cd.?

Before I posted this I looked through this forum. I never found my answer, but answers in a similar vein lead me to think that it's not as simple as I hoped. I don't know if you need this info, but I'm using xp sp2,intel p4 3ghz, 2gig ram and plenty of hhd.

Thanks for any help

2. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

3. mhow

mhow Member

Thank you k00ka for that. As I want to be able to play this on my stand alone player,which do you suggest, mp3 or wav.? Is the sound quality the same on both.? Sorry to appear vague but It's my first time.

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

what quality is the original stream? .. if it's the usual 128k internet stuff (or heaven forbid 40 or 68k internet radio) then there is no point making wav files with it.

what formats does your standalone player handle?

5. mhow

mhow Member

Hi scum101.....the quality coming from my small stereo speakers is very good. I don't play music overloud but I did turn it up to check distortion and this came in at a higher level than I would play it. I have a Aiwa cd stereo player. I'm not sure what formats it accepts I'm afraid. I just put a cd in and it plays.

I've downloaded and installed Audacity and I have to say it looks pretty awesome. I'll see if I can get my head round it lol !!

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if your cd player supports wav and mp3 its fine if not you can use nero and convert mp3s to audio.im not sure about wav files never really had much to do with them.

7. mhow

mhow Member

Hi xboxdvl2, I got rid of nero. I never realized just how intrusive that software was until I tried to get rid. It just did'nt want to go. Well, I cleaned it out and installed Imgburn which does all I want.

What's the normal format of music cd's in the shops.? Is it mp3? I suppose that is what I'm looking to achieve.

8. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Any decent burning app will work with MP3 or WAV(s)..Standard(Redbook) Audio CD is 16/44.1khz PCM wav..
    Audacity will re-encode the import/recording...Of course, the higher quality the import file, the better the output will/should be..You can apply certain effects before saving eg. normalize, fade in etc, but it will not be of better quality than the original..Since you'll be recording an audio stream from the net, I would save as WAV(s), and use them to create your Audio CD..

Edit: If using ImgBurn to burn an Audio CD, you will need to use a CUE file which IMGburn creates before compiling the tracks..I love Imgburn for my video burns, I usually use burrrn or CDBurnerXP for my audio burns..

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  9. mhow

mhow Member

Hi k00ka, maybe I'll be better off doing as you do and download one of those other burners. This cue thing sounds like an extra operation I can do without. I've been looking at Audacity help file and though it tells me all it can do, it does'nt show me how to use it. I'm afraid that at 78 my brain does'nt cotton on as fast as it used to so if any of you good fellows can spare the time I would be grateful for some help here. Burning I can do well enough. I'm not concerned with editing or refining if I can get away with it. I'd just like to get a song progressed through Audacity and onto my hdd ready to burn. So here's the thing.......I have a song playing, which I can click back to the beginning anytime I want. I have Audacity opened on my screen, so where do I go from there?

Just a few broad pointers would help and if in the end it becomes too much for me then I'll accept my limitations and carry on enjoying the music as I've been doing..........and I shall be sorry for wasting all of your times.

10. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

11. mhow

mhow Member

Thanks for that k00ka. both very informative links and just what I think I need right now. I'm going to play around with them and practise. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

12. Mez

Mez Active member

k00ka, I did not know Audacity would capture without having to run it in though the mic jack. Do you need to change the input source? I do not audio capture much at all. I try to keep it below 1 or 2 per year most years it is 0.

13. scum101

scum101 Guest

Audacity will capture from any available source.. mic, line in, left-right (stereo mix) etc depending on what your particular hardware offers. Saving in different formats is a matter of exporting to whatever format you like.. I use raw for my audio rips, because I do other stuff with them.. Streamed music from internet sources isn't usually at any great bitrate so wav really isn't justified on pure file size grounds alone. The only real confusion I could see arising with dealing with the streams is the export function, and splitting into tracks.

The audacity wiki is one of the best I have ever seen. Very informative and well laid out. The tutorials in particular are a great run through. Even now after using it for many years I reference it from time to time. When the program launches (or under "help" you can get to every known feature and function of the program. It's way more than just a capture/format shift app. I could use it as a full multi channel recording studio, but it's a little basic compared to specific ready made studio apps. I just found it will even capture 5.1 streams.. now that's nice.

14. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Another plus with the latest version(s) is being able to import/process/export AC3 audio via ffmpeg..you can even import VOBs...Very cool, IMO!..

15. shaomiao

shaomiao Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  16. mhow

mhow Member

Hi, I'm back...............just when I thought I was going to come back and shout 'Yippee Success' I find I'm not there yet. I learned much from your links k00ka and I managed to save as wav, burned to disc and though it plays back in my pc, it does'nt play in my stand alone player.

What am I doing wrong?

17. Mez

Mez Active member

If your audio player is a CD player you might want to burn as a audio CD. Not much will play a wave file. The files on an audio CD are only simelar not the same as the CDA files. The olny way you can make an audio CD is use the audio CD option in your burning app. If it does not have one you are using the wrong app.

18. mhow

mhow Member

Hi Mez, Thanks for that. I decided to use k00ka's sugestion and I downloaded CDBurnerxp. I burned two WAV files to a CD-RW (for practise) and although this played back ok on my pc, it would'nt play on my Aiwa cd player. I have just burned these two WAV files to a CD-R and surprise,surprise, it plays back on my pc and my player.!! I don't know why this was but at least I'm now able to burn to CD and I'm happy with that.

My thanks to k00ka, and all of you who have been kind enough to take the time to help me out here. Best Wishes for Christmas and lets hope that the New Year holds something good for all of us.

19. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Glad to hear!..Now you know your standalone player has issues with CD-RW disc playback..So stick to CD-Rs..
    Best wishes to you as well..
    Cheers!..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  20. Mez

Mez Active member

Good! What you are doing is a perfered method. That will produce, for all instensive purposes, an exact duplicate sounding CD.