1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i find out if my cpu is 64bit or not

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mrcapdown, Sep 3, 2006.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Now 10.1 is out. Try some others also.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i use Linux for everything (the 64-bit version of Mandriva on my laptop is very nice but i haven't got around to optimising it or anything, it just works so i'm happy to leave it be for now, well i did install kernel 2.6.12-25 but haven't tweaked it yet); the only 2 things i can't do with Linux (and not Linux's fault) is VPN into work with it - that's only because our firm's software expects a particular Windows VPN client - that company doesn't do Linux versions yet, other than old version of Redhat - how crap is that. The other thing i can't do is dvd ripping, but that's only because i can't be bothered to get Wine configured. Windows is good for a few things after all :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

No need for WINE to rip most DVDs. Try dvd::rip, k9copy and DeVeDe.

I've had good luck with k9copy. It's pretty fast also (beats Windows programs).

4. creaky

cheers for that i will have to have a look. 'fraid i get lazy of an evening after Unix all day. Too much *nix can sometimes become a tad dull :p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL The all too familiar "I haven't yet because I can't be bothered approach" - I thought I was the only one to fit into that category! :D
    I have to agree with you about leaving something alone... Almost every single time something works fine and then I try and "improve it", it all goes horribly wrong. You'd think I'd learn by now wouldn't you?

6. creaky

The nature of my job means you swing between leaving things alone for ages to having to update stuff like yesterday and the 'stuff' we do can affects hundreds of people in various countries which makes you 'be bothered' a little more than you might otherwise be. After work i'm only so interested in putting too much effort into anything to do with computers, it gets such that you're staring at screens almost all the time except when asleep or driving :)

Anyways, i only own one 64-bit machine and it's my laptop, the machine i use the most, so i'm wary of buggering it up. It's dual-booted with XP though so at worst i can still use XP if stuff goes wrong.

And a bit of Solaris trivia in case anyone reads this thread and wanted to know how to determine if they have a 32 bit or 64 bit kernel -

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The machine you use most... I only technically have one machine! Granted there is an older backup system, but this one needs to be kept in good order, full stop!

8. creaky

i use 2 machines most nights, my laptop and next to it my burner PC (AMD 2800XP+), and use/mess with 1 or 2 other machines at other times so as not to mess up my main machines. But as i've dual booted them all i often get lost; keeping systems updated is..interesting. Am going put DSL (Damn Small) Linux on of the machines (a triple boot of Win98SE/XP and DSL Linux - i know, too much like hard work but the 98SE is purely for loading SNES games to my Super Famicom and until i get around to finding SNES tools that work under XP i stick with 98SE). The latest thing i'm trying out is the Enlightenment Window Manager (very configurable), guaranteed to keep me glued to screens even more - http://www.lynucs.org/?enlightenment

(blatant attempt to keep myself on topic) I will probably eventually build a 64-bit system to replace my burner PC when that can no longer cut it

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol SNES as in Super Nintendo Entertainment system? Or am I thinking of something else? Believe it or not I used a program called Snes9x (suggesting 95,98) that worked fine in XP.

10. creaky

yup, Super Famicom is the Jap version of the console. As to the tools, it's not emulators i have trouble with but utils that load the games thru a gadget (let's just say it's a gadget that sits on the console with a parallel port) to the console. The utils i have don't seem to work properly but it's on my "can't get around to" list

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahhh right, you do it that way. Wow, that's being committed! I too know the issue with parallel-port devices and XP, one of the computers where I worked still ran 98 because only that worked with the old scanner, and only the old scanner worked with the old database system... Happy days!