1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i format my hard drive then reinstail windows xp

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sim_bob, Nov 13, 2004.

1. sim_bob

sim_bob Member

i want to format my hard drive then reinstail windows xp how do i do it. and how do i instail xp on a new hard drive can anyone help

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

So you want to put it on two hard drive ... on the same pc? or different pcs?

3. sim_bob

sim_bob Member

no i want to format the one i have now and then reinstal xp and i want to no how to put xp on a new hard drive just for future refrence can u help me ??

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

To format a hdd go in to ur bios and set it up to boot from the cd-drive, make sure you have the xp cd in the drive and when windows goes to load up it shold say press any key to boot from cd, if that worked ok you shold be in a setup menu that will give you the option of formatting ur hdd (you will 1st have to format the new hdd b4 installing xp)

Hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  5. sim_bob

sim_bob Member

how do i go to bios ???

6. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

It depends on who made your computer, or what kind of mother board you have. I have an asus MB and I tap the delete key immediately after turning on the computer - before the OS begins to boot. On my old HP it was the F10 key. Read the manual for your MB, or contact who ever made your computer if you didn't put it together yourself. To format your HD, get a utility from your HD manufacturer. I know western digital, and maxtor have them available for download on their websites -those are the two I am most familiar with. It will allow you to make a floppy disc to boot from and will guide you through the process. So find out what brand of HD you have and go to their site.