1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I get my avi movies to play in a dvd player?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by showan, Oct 14, 2004.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hey all. I read some guides here for converting avi files to dvd, but I was a little confused. Can someone let me know if I got this correct here:

from what I understood - to get an avi movie to be playable in a regular dvd player first I need to get two programs - TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc DVD Author

2nd - Using TMPGEnc I convert the AVI to an MPG2 file

3rd - I use TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert the MPG2 file to a what format....this is what I don't know.

What am I missing people? Thanks in advance.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Assuming you have Nero 6 to burn with -- All you need is to select in Nero StartSmart --> on the left menu -- NeroVision Express-- then click Make DVD -- then add files and browse to your AVI ! You can fill a DVD and create a menu on the screen.

If you dont have Nero 6 --- it's available on FREE trial at their website :-
    http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2004
  3. showan

showan Regular member

I was going to do that originally but someone in here said "bullshit" and then proceeded to tell everyone why that was such a bad way to do it....i think his reason was that the quality will become very crappy after the conversion because of the codec in Neroburn.

Sounded like Chinese to me I don't know.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You can always try it and see if it [bold] satisfactory for you[/bold] -- You may find it is good enough . I have done quite a few and I am happy with what I got.

Dont forget that this DVD making is a long process -- you can figure up to 4 or 5 hours if you filling up a DVD -- more if you have a slow PC.

5. showan

showan Regular member

What is the quality like after you do the conversion using Nero? Is it substantially lower than the source?

Also, when you convert it to a dvd the file size increases immensely right? I think I remmebered trying this one time but then I noticed that there was a 2GB file on my HD for a 15 minute video clip... I freaked out and erased the file :) But that was actually what is supposed to happen am I right?

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Like I said -- the quality is depending on what you put in -- and the eye of the beholder !

When you make DVD -- use the actual time of what you put in as a guide to how long it will take -- Ex.: you put in 2 x 30 min. avi --- well expect that it will take over an hour to do the transcoding and then the burning.

The quality is also affected by the bitrate you use -- if you click MORE --> Video Options -- and look at the DVD-Video Tab -- you will see the quality setting that Nero has chosen to satisfy the number of piece you have put in it . Super Long play will let you put 360 minutes on a DVD --but--but--but The quality will suffer. ((Sounds familiar ?? remember the VHS tapes you recorded on ?))