1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i get subtitle files to go with my movies ?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by nu2ad, Mar 13, 2010.

1. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

hi gang !
    im using handbrake to convert some DVDs BUT along with the finished product i need to be able to get subtitles that i can store away with the movie file. there's been times that ive downloaded a movie that comes with two seperate .SRT files (subtitles) ....
    when i do my conversion with handbrake - how do i get those subtitles.
    thanks all in advance - as always.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you use HandBrake, the subtitles will be included in the container with the video and audio, not in a separate file.The subtitles can be switchable, you can turn them on/off, or hardcoded, permanent.
    If you want to extract the subtitles in a separate .srt file, you need something like SubRip.
    Once the conversion Handbrake is done, you can just simply extract the subtitles as idx/sub, easier than doing the OCR to extract the SRT.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

Ha! Perfect! YOU ROCK!!!
    thanks cyprusrom !

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

In order for Hadbrake to include the subs, you must select them under "SUbtitles" tab, and choose if you want them burned in or not.

5. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

man im totally lost!
    i found these guides :
    http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/111/26/
    http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...to-high-quality-MP4-MKV-H264-using-free-tools
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvdrip/235-convert-dvd-to-h264-mkv-mp4-using-handbrake

i dont see anywhere how to make sure that i get my subtitles the way i want them - OR even like you said in "idx/sub".
    ****unless i misunderstood you ....
    do i still have to find / install SubRip in order to the do what you said here:
    "Once the conversion Handbrake is done, you can just simply extract the subtitles as idx/sub, easier than doing the OCR to extract the SRT."

6. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

man this can be really frustrating - im sorry please bare with me.
    i really do want to figure this out.
    thanks again.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

HandBrake can add the subtitles with the video and audio, in the same file, you don't have to use an extra program.You will be able to turn the subs on/off.
    If you want the subs as an additional, external file,then you need an extra program;you can use Subrip to extract the subtitles from the DVD and create a srt file, or, extract idx/sub files.

8. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

gotya cyprusrom !
    i totally misunderstood.
    so i still have to go and install the Subrip. okay.
    i really appreciate the feedback - you have no idea how frusted i am over this.
    i can download a movie with subs but i havent been able to figure how to back-up my own! and the thing is that i MUST have the subtitles otherwise i dont know whats going on.

question - when i extract the subtitles with Subrip, will they automatically synch up with the movie file ?

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Firstly, why do you "have to have " the subs in srt format? Like I said, HandBrake can include the subs for you, no need for SubRip.
    If you insist having the subs in Srt format, when you use SubRip,make sure when you save the Srt, you save them with the same FPS that the movie is converted to.

10. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

the idx/sub will be fantastic too - but after the conversion there were no subtitles.
    while going through the motions just before the conversion in handbrake, when i clicked on the subtitles tab - i didnt know what to do. i didnt see any mention of the subtitles in the movie ??? or didnt know how to select them ????
    heres what i saw - this is with the movie loaded in it again :

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr252/foto-pix/sub-tab-HB.png[img]

life would be easier if i could just do what you said here:
    "Once the conversion Handbrake is done, you can just simply extract the subtitles as idx/sub, easier than doing the OCR to extract the SRT."
    ***how would i extract - please.

11. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

okay sorry - dont know how to add the pic :(
    watafuk'noob!

12. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

just wanted to mention also cyprusrom ....
    that im backing up these movies to an external hard drive.
    i dont have the kind of monitor / hardware that would allow us to watch a movie together comfortably so i usually convert the movies back to DVD with convdertxtodvd to watch on the TV. i guess thats the reason why the seperate subtitles are so important to me - if and when i decide to put something back on DVD - ill have both the movie and the subs.
    my hearing has gotten progressively worse and others in my family really rely totally on the subtitles.
    so in a nut shell id like to back up my movies to the hard drive but still be able to RE-Burn them back to DVD in the future and still have subtitles.

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Okay...
    You know you lose quality every time you convert?
    How much space do you have? You could just back them up to an external hard drive without converting them to mp4 and such, just as a ISo, no quality loss.
    In that picture, you should have chosen the "English" subtitles, and click on Add. Un-tick the "burned in".
    [​IMG]

ConvertxtoDVD will most likely detect the subtitles in the MP4 container, and will include them to your project.

14. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

hey how'd you do that?
    okay - im gonna give it another go!!
    please tell me .....
    you said i lose quality every time i convert.
    lose quality where ?

15. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

sorry - forgot to answer your question ...
    i have 117GB on the hard drive
    figure i can actually get quite a few 1GB - 2GB movies on there without dedicating the whole drive to that. where as the whole DVD / ISOs would consume it all pretty quick

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

WHen you convert from DVD to mp4, the movie will be compressed, and you lose some quality. WHen you convert back from MP4 to DVD, you lose video quality again.

Your image didn't show up in the post because you forgot to put the /, it should be at the begining and [[b][color=red]/[/color][/b]img] at the end.
    I guess if you plan on making them 1-2 GB, you will preserve most of the quality.

17. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

man youre too bad-ass.
    i really appreciate you stick'n it out with me here.
    i just started the process again - we'll see how it goes! :S
    for general purposes though - how would i extract the idx/sub later?

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

19. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

still lost cyprusrom .....
    still lost !
    im sorry man i have tried to follow your instructions and ive gone and downloaded the tools you mentioned but theres no guides for them - i continued to play around with them to see if i catch on but im hopeless.
    i fusk'n envy these guys that can do this all day long and upload torrents - theyre work is truly appreciated in a case like mine.
    i just cant beleive i cant get this man.
    ive been at this all day - but its not the first time ive tried.
    i cant beleive it seems impossible for me to get the subs out to keep them how i want.
    cyprusrom - i hate it that i didnt get it again.
    i really appreciate all youve done too. ive seen all you contribute to the froum so im sure youre pretty busy.
    wish i could say there was a happy ending.

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What is it that doesn't work?Did you get the MP4 converted? When you play it on your computer, with VLC for example, can you see the subtitles, can you turn them on?