1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW DO I GET WINDOWS XP TO RECOGNIZE MY NEW HD?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by blackie1, Jun 19, 2006.

1. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

I just had to wipe out my new hd and reload windows, after everything was running smoothily i reinstalled my old 40gig hd. but for some reason i cant pull it up under my computer?? the HD is shown under my device mamger but tells me that their is no problem, yet i cant see it?? what should i do??
    also i havent been able to watch streaming video sense i reloaded windows, even after downloading the klite codec pack and the lastest media player?? what else should i try?? thanks.

2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

First did you check the jumper settings? Is it on the same cable as the master drive? Do you have it as a slave on the primary or is it on the secondary channel as a master?

Let's get one problem fixed at a time.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Control panel/ admin tools/ computer management/ disc management. There you will find a list of all you drives. It should list your other HDD, but it may need formatting for you to see it in "my computer"

4. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

the jumper settings are the same from when i was using it before i reloaded windows, i think its cable select. my main HD is a sata cable and this is the secondary using the ide cable. i check in the disc managemnt section and found the HD it a picture of an exclamation point next to it though. it says disk 0 is the main HD and disc 1 is the smaller one , it says dynamic, and then foreign with the little exclamation point next to it?? what should i do now??

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Try changing the jumper to slave.

6. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

i did. nothing changes even after a restart.

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Check your BIOS. Make sure it sees it there.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

It shows in the device manager, so it will show in the BIOS...
    When in device manager have you tried clicking on the drive to see if you get a message?
    Not too sure about this one!

9. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

yes it shows up in bios, i even hit enter on the drive in bios and it says, it was detected?? what else am i supposed to do??

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

uninstall old hd from devive manager & restart windows to let it load it's own driver. any error messages like code 39?

11. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Do you have another cable you can try?

12. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

its a brand new badd ass one, i know it works it was just working perfectly a week ago until i had to reload windows xp.

13. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

ok i un installed the hd from my device manager and the i reset my computer. it said that it detected new hardware and then showed the model number of the HD, and i did not get any error messages. but i still cant find it?? what the hell?? how do i get it to show up so i can access the files on it??

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Do both drives now have the same OS? Did you get any boot options?

You can try ISOBuster and see if that will "see" the disc to get the files from.

15. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

yes they both were formatted to the same exact windows xp pro, but now only one will show up under "my computer" and the one thats wont show, does show up in my device manager??? go figure...

16. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Try loading it in the CMOS settings inside the BIOS.

17. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

i did. its says it was detected.

18. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Disconnect the SATA drive and see if it will boot into the old one.

19. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

the old one never had windows on it, it was always a secondary hd. i dont understand why this is being so dificult, its supposed to be plug and play. WTF!

20. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Since there are files on the drive that you want to save, this might be the last resort.

Download a Live version of Linux. Boot with the CD that you burn the ISO to. If needed mount the drive under Linux. Copy the files you want to the main (new) hard drive. Reboot and then format the older drive.

This will work. It isn't as hard as it sounds. Give it a try and post back the results.