1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i know?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Moviefann, May 12, 2004.

1. Moviefann

Moviefann Member

I'm thinking of buying a DivX DVD player but i want to make sure that my current DivX movies are compatible with it.

How do i find out which format my DivX movies are in?, eg 3.11, 4.0, 5.0.

cheers :)

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Both AVICodec and GSpot can be used to determine the codecs required for a movie to play. AVICodec, despite its name has better MPEG capabilities and thus is reccomended for MPEG files (such as those for (S)VCDs). GSpot on the otherhand is far more efficient for scanning AVI files. Both programs offer unique features also, AVICodec allows you to queue up and entire folder to for checking in addition to providing direct links to sites where codecs can be downloaded; GSpot allows for 'rendering' of files (to check to see if the system can actually play the file with the available codecs and to check for fakes. AVICodec can be downloaded from http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/avicodec.cfm and GSpot can be downloaded from http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm

3. Moviefann

Moviefann Member

Ive just downloaded AVIcodec and it worked a treat, thanks :)

Ive got a few questions for you if you don't mind me asking?

Ive been looking at the H&B DX3220 DivX/DVD Player, here are the players specs for playing DivX movies.......

MPEG-4,DIVX FORMATS 3.11-4.0-5.0-XVID-DIVX.

My DivX movies are in these formats.... DivX v3 MPEG-4 (low Motion), XVID MPEG-4, DivXNetworks DivX v5, OpenDivX v4 and MS MPEG4 V3.

Will this DVD/DivX player play all of these files withoput any problems?

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

i have .... absolutely no idea :p I dont have a standalone DVD player let alone a MPEG4 capable standalone player (and i dont intend to get one) ... theoretically it should be fine ... might want to look into the supported audio formats (AC3 vs Mp3)

5. Moviefann

Moviefann Member

OK, thanks for your help anyway!!! ;-)

Hopefully someone else can help me out?

6. Moviefann

Moviefann Member

Does anyone know?