1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make .srt files readable by DVD format?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Cynex, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Cynex

Cynex Member

I merged the two AVI files I had into 1 then made that AVI file into the Video_TS format. It made it into 3 movies files(each file is about 1/3 of the movie) I dont know if that is a problem for the subtitles though. I used Srt2Sup program to convert the .srt files I have into .sup which didnt work. I also tried converting the .slt into .s2s which also didnt work. The movie is in Japanese, and the subtitles are English. There are 2 .slt english subtitle files. Is the problem the fact that there are two different files when there should be one? Or is it a different problem?

Cynex

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The problem seems to be just that you have three subtitles (you said '2 AVIs' , then 'the movie is in three parts' . I cannot underatsnd...). Try to 'merge' the subtitles you have with SubMax, ad you merged the 3 AVIs toghether. Afret that, do again everything that is in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd_page_3.cfm , it should work now.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  3. Cynex

Cynex Member

I made the .m2v using another program because TMPGEnc Plus was not working correctly. The .m2v was successfully made, however IFOEdit does the error that makes you terminate the program after clicking OK to make it add the .sup to the .m2v. There is no audio file for the movie, cause I believe its embedded somehow. Anyway, I dont understand why IFO kills itself(if it is because of the lack of audio file.. that is rediculously stuipid). If there is another program I can use to do this, please let me know. Or if you can tell me why IFOEdit is stupid, that would be appriciated as well.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  4. Cynex

Cynex Member

I used VOBEdit to Demux the AC3 audio from the movie. Using that, I tried to do IFOEdit again. All it ever does is "IfoEdit.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Details of the error "Error Signature - AppName:ifoedit.exe AppVer: 0.9.7.1 ModName:ifoedit.exe ModVer: 0.9.7.1 Offset: 00077c34" I dont know if that will tell you anything.. cause I sure as hell dont know what it means. When IfoEdit cant do something correctly it doesnt give me that error. Example: If I try to set the Output Stream Destination to a folder that doesnt exist.

I dont know what to do with this damn thing anymore. Here are the names of the files I have:

VTS_01_1.80 (AC3 Audio file)- 1,506KB
    VTS_01_1_output - 0KB
    VTS_01_1_output_aud - 229,816KB
    VTS_01_1_output_vid - 1KB

The name of the subtitle file is: Casshern.sup

Dont know what else to try or do to make this work right. Any help would be appriciated.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I give up. I can only suggest to:

1) Encode VOB --> MPEG-1 as written in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm
    2) encode permanent subtitles into the MPG (maybe simultaneously of step 1) since you just have to install FFDShow and play al little with TMPGenc(http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_with_subtitles_to_vcd.cfm)

After all, encoding AVI --> DVD is only a loss of time...

6. Cynex

Cynex Member

Hum, why must this be so complicated. Oh well, thank you much for your help. From what I understand of your last post. You suggest hardcoding the .sup onto the .mpg which is an awesome idea.

If that isnt what you meant, than I am not sure what you did mean. Eitherway, I am going to try hardcoding the .sup to the .mpg file.

If it works, I will edit this post and say it has.

7. Cynex

Cynex Member

No software I have found gives me the ability to hardcore .sup or .srt onto an .mpg file. If anyone knows of a program I can do this with, please tell me.

Also, I have tried VirtualDub and the add on to put subtitles on and it seems to act like something is wrong with the movie and wont do anything.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Cynex, check your PMs...

9. jacksee

jacksee Member

hi all

i have a jap movie in 2 parts both avi.. i also have 2 .srt files both named the same as the avi eg cd1.avi cd2.avi & cd1.srt cd2.srt

my question is... how do put the subtitles back into the film so i can watch it? is there a way of merging them back together?

cheers all

10. tamden

tamden Guest

I only use 2 programs when converting 2 avs and subs to dvd. Heres what i do and it works every time!
    Before using these programs i had sync probs with audio and subs but no more probs now!

Install a program called VobSub as this will force the subtitles.
    Install Canopus Procoder 2.This prog supports all files!!!!!
    Make sure when you unpack the download that you have the 2 avis and the subs files in exactly the same folder.
    There is no need to join these either as Canopus will do this for you.
    Start Canopus Procoder and put a tick in the stitch box as this will join the files together,
    then choose a target which will be dvd PAL or whatever you wish to do then click convert and choose a path for output
    if you don't choose a path then the default path is my documents. Then hit convert! watch the first 5 mins you should
    see the subtitles being tranconded with the movie, if so then unclick preview as this will slow down convertion.
    Its as Simple as that.