1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I open or compile r0 files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by robowen, Jan 21, 2005.

1. robowen

robowen Member

I am now at the end of my tether with this stuff. Can't find answers anywhere....so here goes.

I downloaded 2 movies.
    1st movie with 2 discs stated it was a vcd. but the files are r0 files.
    They start at r01 through to r32 on the first disc and the same for the second disc, and each disk also contains a .rar file and a .sfv file.
    Tried loads of programs to convert to dvd, nothing works.
    I can play these files with VLC media player and nothing else, but only 1 file at a time.
    WinRAR doesnt do anything either.
    I have about 20 different programs that dont recognise these files.
    -----------------------------------------------
    2nd movie is exactly the same except I cant watch this movie with VLC media player, it wont play at all.

any ideas ??

2. hardcandy

hardcandy Guest

r01-r32 are rar files. As they are now, they are pieces of a large archive. Were there any par or par2 files present? If so, download them and then get quickpar (free) and let it check them for completeness and if a few files are missing, it can rebuild them if you have par files present.If the archive was properly made winrar should be able to reassemble them into one large archive or rar file. It sounds as if some pieces are missing. Look at http://www.slyck.com/ng.php for details.

3. robowen

robowen Member

Many thanks for the info.
    looked at the guide.
    my files seem to be the pre-version 3 format as illustrated in the diagram, these being just the r0 files plus the two files at the end, .rar and .sfv files.
    I have no par files and wouldnt know where to find them for these movies even if they were needed.
    I have WinRAR 3.40 on my pc.

Is this a case of downloading version 2 WinRAR and taking it from there ?
    Anyone got a link for it ?

Thanks.

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I've never known winrar not to be backward compatible, so downloading winrar 2 won't help you. With winrar installed, you should be able to double-click on the main .rar file (actually, on any of them, but use the .rar file). Winrar should open the file, and show you what's inside. Next, you want to "extract" the contents to a folder. Success in that will depend on the parts all being there, complete, and not otherwise corrupt. Try it, and let us know what happens.

If you get error messages from winrar, you are up a creek unless you have .par files to fix the archive with.

5. robowen

robowen Member

I'm getting somewhere now.
    I ran the .rar file through the version of WinRAR thats on my pc, its unpacked the first cd and separated it into bin and cue files.
    How do I convert them to dvd plus combining the two cd's together. ??

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Now you do a search of the fora on "bin cue dvd" to see if the question has already been asked and answered.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

VSO has a program named VSO DivX to DVD, if this is a DivX format. Most of the VCD were a DivX format. There may be some extra codecs with it. You may be able to find it at the CopyToDVD site. I use Alcohol 120 to work with bin cue folders.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  8. robowen

robowen Member

Thanks for the replies.

Think I may have cracked it.
    In case anyone is watching this thread, this is what I have done.

I noticed that the .rar file was not associated with the WinRAR program I had. So I opened the file and selected WinRar as the program to open it, I had to search for where it was located on my H/D. This has now automatically associated itself with the second movie I have, and both have now been unpacked successfully.(previously I had tried retrieving the files from within WinRAR and it didnt like it)

The first movie became bin and cue files and this was dealt with by vcdgear plus some other prog I have for joining mpegs together (movie joiner), then dvdsanta to burn the dvd.

The second movie became an avi file. This, I just used dvd santa to convert and burn to dvd.
    Thanks again.

9. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Good work. I guess you had complete and uncorrupted .rar files, and didn't have to worry about recovering anything with par files. Watch for those the next time you download rar files. At some point, you'll need them if you download many large multipart binaries.