1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i reset dvd rom region

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by chriso, Mar 24, 2004.

1. chriso

chriso Member

i have just had a dvd-rom installed in my toshiba 4600 and after watching about 5 dvd films the dvd set itself to one region and i am unable to reset it or watch anymore movies, any solutions? help me!!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What OS are you using? You can double click the drive in Device Manager and change the region there in XP.

3. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

You may want to (remove the drive out of the laptop and) verify part number (model number) of that drive. Once you know that, go to:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
    find Toshiba, browse thru 'DVD-ROM (Laptop)' / 'Combo CDRW/DVD (Laptop)' / 'DVD-Recorder (Laptop)' sections to find your unit. If you find RPC-1 (region free) firmware you are lucky. If you don't... assuming that you use Windows you may always try one of many 'region-free' software utilities (for starters try
    http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm )
    Of course you may try region-free software first ~ especially if you do not feel so strong about re-flashing your drive (as your warranty goes out of the window).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is what happens to you while you're out doing something else...[/small]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  4. Diagas

Diagas Member

hi, i have a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B on my dektop (packard Bell iMedia), but changed it's regional code from 2 to 1 and vice - verso for about 5 times, so it has now got locked to region 2 and i cannot change it anymore. any solutions without working on the hardware!can u please make it a bit fast!

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can search the web and see if a "hacked" firmware is available for your drive, which will make it region free, but you run the chance of ruining your drive if you get a bad one.

Alternatively, there are software solutions as well such as DVD Idle.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "Common sense is a dying concept" - Me[/small]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  6. Diagas

Diagas Member

oh, thanx, and how do u know if that firmware is a good one or not and any suggestions for those website?, thanx!

7. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

Diagas
    "any suggestions for those website?" <- carefully read all of the above posts (hint: start with mine)