1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I rip MP3s with lame and Media Player 10?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dokiroku, Oct 9, 2004.

1. dokiroku

dokiroku Member

I've tried putting lame_enc.dll in win/sys and win/sys32...but, it keeps on giving me an error message that I don't have the right components or something like that. Anybody having a similar experience out there?

Thanks, guys.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Doesn't work that way - try CDex
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/cdex.cfm
    You can put the latest lame_enc.dll 3.96.1 into it (it comes with 3.93, I think)
    My Media Player 9 offers to do Windows Media Audio VBR encoding, but this is locked-out on most peoples WMP I see.
    I think it's because I installed the Radium MP3 codec (ra-codec12.zip) that registers itself in Windows.
    LAME doesn't work that way - needs CDex (great little program, freeware too :)
    L8R

3. dokiroku

dokiroku Member

thanX, The_OGS. I've actually heard of that proggie before but didn't know what it was or how to use it. I've learned so much since I joined this forum!!

4. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've ripped CD's (with WMP 10) & made mp3's (with WMP) without having Lame on my system.

5. dokiroku

dokiroku Member

bratcher, how are you using WMP 10 to rip CDs into MP3 format?

6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Tools, Options, Rip music. You can even set the bit rate...

Under format select Mp3.

7. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Once you have the settings (in WMP 10) then select rip (after putting in your audio CD) select the songs you want & rip away...

8. jables

jables Member

Of course you can create mp3's without having Lame on your system. You're using the built-in encoder in WMP10.If you want the best quality,then you should use Lame.You can rip your waves however you like and use the Lame front-end Razorlame to encode them. You can find that here: http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php

In Razorlame,go into Lame,Expert Settings,Custom Options and input this string for high-quality vbr mp3's:
    --alt-preset standard
    You can also use --alt-preset extreme if you want to get the absolute best sound quality with slightly larger files.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  9. dokiroku

dokiroku Member

Jables and Bratcher, thank you for your advice. I do have another question, however. I did try all of those steps Bratcher recommended; that's why I started to get that original error message that prompted me to start this thread. Why does my WMP 10 act differently from you guys'?

10. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I have no idea....

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

As I have said, the Windows MP3 codec is 'locked'.
    It will playback MP3s, but it will not encode them (thanks, Bill).
    This is a well-known issue, going back to Windows98.
    You must install the Radium MP3 codec (which I have as ra-codec12.zip) that registers itself in Windows, but this codec has all but disappeared from the web in recent years...
    Windows wants to make *.wma files, using its own proprietary compression algorithms. Their VBR WMA is actually not bad, but I don't use it, I use LAME.
    I was startled, however, to see the VBR WMA setting is locked-out on most peoples WMP I come across (not sure why it is unlocked in mine, as I have said).
    Windows (WMP) won't use LAME.
    So forget WMP and use CDex :)

12. dokiroku

dokiroku Member

The_OGS, I'm wondering if you can tell me where I might find that codec that you keep on mentioning OR if you could just post it here or send it to me (I don't know exactly how it works around here). I've always used WMP to burn/rip, and I'd like to continue doing so if at all possible. Thanks!