1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i set up a linux or windows server

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Juanmy, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juanmy

Juanmy Guest

Hello, i have about 2 more pc's and what i would like to know is how i can set them up as servers, the main thing i want to do is make multiple dedicated servers for games in each pc also make web site servers, or ftp server.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, you'd need server software like IIS, Samba, Apache, or something similar, a proper router, and at least a 10 mbit secondary internet connection, which in all probability, you won't be able to afford.
    Not to mention most regular pc's don't make for proper servers.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Setting up a server itself is a piece of cake. The hard part is securing it. Even firewalling isn't nearly enough - this is where you get into Intrusion Detection Systems and Intrusion Prevention Systems, which detect or stop exploits from operating on those services offered by your servers. And, as The_Fiend pointed out, there's the problem of paying for a dedicated line with sufficient uplink bandwidth.

A better option you might want to look into is collocation. In this scenario, you bring a computer you own (or buy one from the hosting company), and have the hosting company provide you with the physical space for you to put it there and some bandwidth. Most places also offer varying degrees of security, utilization monitoring, bandwidth packages, etc. for an added fee.

4. Juanmy

Juanmy Guest

My extra pc's are really nice they are dual core 8 gig's memory , huge hardDrives and fast circuit speed motherboards , and i use cable mothem internet witch is 4Mbps. What is a good router i can use? and how do i make it so that i can run multiple dedicated game servers from one pc? and what i do when i install apache does it gives me an option to make a Domain name?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.