1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I show video from hard drive on HDTV?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cdharris, May 3, 2005.

1. cdharris

cdharris Member

I have several movies ripped from DVD on to a 300 GB Firewire Hard Drive and can play them back just fine on my PC. However, I would like to be able to play them on my Sony big screen HDTV. What is the best way to do that? I have burned many of these movies to DVD as per instructions in this forum, but the quality is not as good after compression, and I don't get the menus, special features, etc. Since the entire movie, without compression, is on my hard drive, I would like to start using that. Thanks for any help.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You need some way to plug the TV into the computer.
    Most good video cards have TV out. Find one in your budget, and try it.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

check if your HDTV have a dvi input.
    you can hook it up using that.
    of course you need a video card with dvi output.

4. cdharris

cdharris Member

I have a DVI input on the HDTV, although I am already using it for my HD DirecTV receiver. Perhaps I can find a switch. Sounds like I need a new video card. Any recomendations?

5. pfh

pfh Guest

When it comes to video cards there is only 2 major players at the consumer level. Cards with Nvidia chips or ATI chips. The rest of 'em are wannabes.

ATI, as a chip maker also does some manufacturing of their own.

Nvidia, also a chip maker does not make their own.

When it comes to reviews, it's a matter of personal preference for the most part because these two chips have pro and cons, however, they both can do what they claim. You buy a high to mid range card of either chip and I'm sure you'd be happy.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

lol

a ggogle search for dvi switch
    http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolder/09/97711/index.php
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hd-DVI-2x1.htm

it say Price: $249.00
    ouch, i miss those cheap analog av switch.

you need a video card with dvi output. if you actually do play games, midrange would fine (if you're a gamer, i don't need to tell you this)

if all you do is going to watch video and other gpu unrelated stuff, a low end like radeon 9250 would be fine.