1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I speed up the process?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PvtJoker, Mar 15, 2005.

1. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

How do I speed up the ripping process? Using DVD-Shrink with the deep scan analsys it can take almost 3 hours to rip and burn. The majority of my time is consumed by the ripping process. Would a simple memory upgrade on my pc do it? I am have 256K in it now.

2. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

I am guessing the deep scan analysis is whats taking up the majority of your time. You may have to scarifice speed for quality or find a point in between.

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Go to my computer>veiw system information>hardware>devise manager>then go to your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers click on primary and secondary see if you are in dma or if you are in pio mode.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

another stick of 256 or more sure wouldn't hurt either.

5. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

The Primary IDE (Hard Drives) were set to DMA.
    The Secondary IDE (CD and DVD) drive were set to PIO.
    I hacked the reg and now the DVD is set to DMA and the CD is PIO. This drasticly reduced my ripping time. Thanks.

6. Yabs

Yabs Member

How important is it to set the dvd to DMA? does it make a big difference?
    Is there a guide on how to do it?
    Thanks guys
    ~yabs

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

DMA stands for 'Direct Memory Access'

This allows the device to directly access and address the memory, instead of the CPU doing all the work.

This drastically increases data tarnsfer throughout the complete system and therefore tour ripping times have increased.

DMA is the best mode to use, as PIO is very cumbersome and puts the CPU in charge of the streaming process, whereas DMA, it is the devices controller that has the control hence the DMA.......

You can adjust these esily without going into the registry by:
    Right click My Computer
    Click on Properties
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device Manager
    Click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller
    Double click on either Primary or secondary (dependant on which channel your burner is connected to)
    Click on the advanced settings.
    Then look in the transfer mode for your device, it should say DMA if available.
    Then in the current transfer setting it should say Ultra DMA Mode etc.

If it says, PIO Mode (in the current transfer window), then uninstall that IDE controller, reboot.
    Windows will then reinstall it and then go back to it and check that the PIO Mode has now changed back to Ultra DMA etc.

It is always best to have your devices connected up by an 80 way IDE cable aswell as opposed to a 40 way.

Sometimes just uninstalling your device and reinstalling it will bring it back to DMA aagain.

If you have an older device on the same IDE channel aswell, this can cause the other device connected to slow up aswell.

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Is their really a way to get a memory upgrade? And if so how would one go about getting one thanks ---zen-->

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

zenarrow,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but one example, lets say you have 516mb pc2100 and your mobo is compatable, you can upgrade to pc2700 or pc3200, and of course you can always add more of the same memory as long as your mobo has another memory slot, if not replace the existing memory stick with a stick with more eg: 256mb to 512mb or 1gb (1024mb).

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I believe zen was being a smart arse.. He was reffering to his brain... I think? LOL

12. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I used to know how but I forgot!

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

PvtJoker

Know that any memory increase will help more then just your ripping and burning. One easy way would be to use the Performance Tab under Task Manager and see how much memory is being used during the analyzing, encoding and burning. Mine usually hits in the 300’s so having only 256 could effect more then just speed, especially if anything is running in the background or you force Windows to use Virtual Memory, constantly accessing your HDD, swapping virtual memory back and forth. There are some things you could do to help a little, but the best would be to just add another stick.

14. sadsac

sadsac Guest

pvtJoker, if you'd spend more time reading than "fingerbanging ole' Mary Jane Rottencrotch", you'd know the answer.

Just kidding. What are the other specs on your PC? You said 256K. I think that's 256MB

15. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

"Hell I like you. You can come over to my house and ....", you know the rest.

I have AMD Athelon 1800
    40G 7200 WD HD
    80G 7200 WD HD
    256mb pc2100
    Sony dual layered burner.

Setting the burner to DMA has almost cut my time down in half!!! I would like to add anther 256mb, just like ScubaBud stated encoding slows down my pc. Anyone know where I can find memory cheap at?

16. nytvd

nytvd Member

my favorite store -

newegg.com

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Holy sheeeet!! You need more than memory dude!!
    The processor would be my biggest concern, but to upgrade that you probably need Motherboard and Memory
    Heres a site you may want to check out http://www.newegg.com

18. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I have a 3.2 Ghz PC with 512 Mb (533 Mhz).

Shrink takes about 23-28 minutes to Deep Analyse and about the same about to Encode (Shrink) it.

I think this is pretty much the best you can get, cause I know most DVD-ROM / Burners a hardware locked so you can't rip quicker than 2x.

I've heard people have DVD-ROM with hacked firmware be able to RIP to the max speed, so I guess the end result is how quick can you process the frames and how quick can you write to your hard disk.

I'm pretty patient, I use Deep Analysis, and burn at 2x and yes I am happy with the end result.