1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stream BD/lossless to PS3?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by caper_1, Apr 6, 2010.

1. caper_1

caper_1 Member

Hi all. I am trying to stream a BD to PS3 with lossless audio using PMS. One movie always comes up "Data is corrupted" and the other I get video, but NO AUDIO whatsoever. I use PMS for DD and DTS just fine, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. Appreciate any advice. By the way, I have LPCM selected for my audio option via HDMI, and I have a brand new Yamaha RX-V565 receiver. What I did was mount the image file with daemon and then extracted the *.m2ts file from the STREAM folder to my HDD. That is what I do all the time. Thanks for any help!!
    ~cape

EDIT: When I press triangle for the menu screen, I tried to go to Audio Options, but it says "There is no audio". IS there a separate audio file on BD's that I need to mux with the video or something?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. caper_1

caper_1 Member

So I guess you can't stream DTS-MA or True HD, since the PS3 needs to use the optical drive to pass those formats. Is there a way to remux MA or TrueHD as LPCM and stream? Or maybe use an external drive connected via USB and "trick" the ps3 into thinking its a BD? Someone else mentioned this but I don't quite understand the method.

3. neronut

neronut Regular member

Hey, sorry I didn't notice this earlier. You can use PSM to do AC-3 and DTS but I'm not sure about Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. If they are in the m2ts container there maybe an option to send the information untouched. I will investigate.

4. caper_1

caper_1 Member

From what I have read, you cannot stream it, but that's just what others have said. PS3's XMB player does not decode HD audio. You have to use the optical player, with a USB device setup like AVCHD (FAT32, AVHCD folder, etc) which tricks it into thinking its a BD. Same goes for FLAC files to get the proper bitrates. Let me know if you figure something else out. The idea I had was transcode the HD audio into LPCM, then stream it, but I am no guru in audio/video transcoding.

5. Adalfredo

Adalfredo Guest

So I guess you can't stream DTS-MA or True HD, since the PS3 needs to use the optical drive to pass those formats. Is there a way to remux MA or TrueHD as LPCM and stream? Or maybe use an external drive connected via USB and "trick" the ps3 into thinking its a BD? Someone else mentioned this but I don't quite understand the method.

6. alinaly

alinaly Member

7. neronut

neronut Regular member

If you have a media server like PS# Media Server, I think there is an option to not to any transcoding to the stream if its already in a PS3 supported format. If your container is m2ts then it should stream fine (aside from the insane bandwidth requirements.)

8. caper_1

caper_1 Member

Please elaborate on exactly what format will stream LOSSLESS as the XMB player (not the BD player) doesnt support streamed HD audio

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  9. neronut

neronut Regular member

THe video can be played "losslessly" that is to say the full 30 Mbit/sec video can be streamed to the player. As for the audio it has the be transcoded to AC-6 @ 640 kbps, or the DTS core maybe able to be extracted (Not sure about DTS).

10. caper_1

caper_1 Member

My original question was lossless audio.

11. neronut

neronut Regular member

Oh, woops, sorry about that. Only two ways i can think of, one may not work.

1. load the m2ts file onto a fat32 formatted external hard drive (HDD), may need to split it at 4 GB as that is the file size limit for fat32, and play it using the media player and bitstream it to your receiver.

2. Burn it onto BD disc as a BD movie and play it using the optical player

2.5. put it on an HDD as an AVCHD title and play it using the optical player
    -Note the AVCHD standard doesn't support any other formats other than PCM and AC-3 @ 640 kbps

Ok with that said there is another possible way, but it will not work with DTS-HD MA. If you have Dolby TrueHD then it can be transcoded on the computer to 7.1 PCM and streamed to the PS3 and it will play this.

Other than these I am out of ideas. I have a feeling the normal media player will play the HD audio in files without a disc but I haven't tried.

12. caper_1

caper_1 Member

Yep, #2.5 works, and it was TrueHD, but again, the question was how to "stream" to PS3 a file with "lossless" audio. I don't believe it is possible. Are you suggesting using Windows Media Player to stream to PS3, with bitstream as the setting? Not sure how to do that (bitstream) but I will investigate. Thanks!

13. neronut

neronut Regular member

I'm thinking of a program such a PS3 Media Server, I believe it has the option to convert to PCM. I had to reinstall everything on my computer so it isn't on here at the moment so I can't explicitly check. WMP may work because all it does is stream the files without any modification. What OS are you using? WMP 12 in Wndows 7 can stream out of the box.

14. caper_1

caper_1 Member

win 7, and it is only DTS/FLAC to LPCM remux, not HD Audio (TrueHD, DTS-MA)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

1. Transcode any lossless audio to LPCM using eac3to, use .w64 as the output extension.
    2. Remux the video, and new .w64 file together using tsMuxeR. Use M2TS as the output.
    3. tsMuxeR will recognize the .w64 file as LPCM, rest-assured no audio quality loss.

Only h264, and MPGE2 video streams are compatible using this method. VC-1 does not stream, unless you transcode.

Stream the new M2TS for BD quality material. If you need a GUI for the audio conversion, use the latest version of MeGUI, and use the HD Stream Extractor function, which uses eac3to for all extractions/conversions.

Or,

This is how I do my movies. If you have an external HDD, formatted using the FAT32 file system (PS3 recognizable), you can remux the entire main movie, lossless audio, (multiple streams) and all with subs, and chapters using tsMuxeR to AVCHD... using the SPLIT function to 4GB chunks, remux to the root of the external drive to a folder called AVCHD. Use AVCHDMe to make it PS3 readable, and play as AVCHD. No streaming required, plug the external into the PS3 instead.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  16. caper_1

caper_1 Member

heh heh, since I posted this topic, I since bought a 500 GB portable...and used multiAVCHD to split the movie into 4GB chunks, with menus, etc...I was interested in streaming, but this way is easier now! lol... thanks !!!

17. neronut

neronut Regular member

Steaming can be nice, till you try to do something obvious that others wouldn't think of, then life becomes interesting. :)

Glad to hear its working out.

18. seanymac

seanymac Member

I posted this on another forum but haven't received any info. I think you guys know what I'm missing or need. Here goes.....I've been ripping my BD's(anydvd) to my portable HDD for the last 3 months with the intention of hooking up the HDD to a wireless router. I finally bought a new Linksys E3000 Dual band (N)router hoping that this would be the end all for my digital library. Now that I've got it all hooked up, I'm trying to stream my ripped BD's from the portable HDD(connected via USB to the router) to my HP laptop that is connected to my TV. Keep in mind that I haven't encoded any of the movies. Using Media Player Classic I'm playing the MT2S file but it's choppy, both video and audio. Is there anyway around this? I've tried to stream on both band widths and it's the same every time. I don't know a lot about routers so maybe someone knows how I can configure the router to stream more efficiently? Or maybe this isn't going to work, or maybe I need to encode and rethink this whole thing. Let me know what you guys think.

19. neronut

neronut Regular member

Is the computer you are running the videos on using N too? How far away are you and what is the signal strength like?

This is off topic but I don't mind helping :)

20. seanymac

seanymac Member

I wasn't sure it was N at first, but the hardware reads "agn" so I'm assuming it's N. The router is only about 10 ft and one wall away.

I am aware this is off topic and I apologize, but I think the people that look at this area are more informed about this than others. Thanks again.