1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I transfer the video to my computer?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by milanw, Apr 25, 2005.

1. milanw

milanw Member

Hello!

I have JVC digital camcorder. I have recorded some video clips for the first time. Now I need help, I want to burn the video into a VCD. I have Nero, ImageMixer, and easy CD creator software. But I cannot find an option to import this video file into the software to burn the CD. The software have an option to capture the video from the camcorder and burn to a CD. I have recorded the video on a mini DV cassette, not on the memory card. Please help.

Also I would like to know which of the above said software is good for making a VCD.

Thank you.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The only thing you need is connect the camera with a Firewire cable. Capturing with Nero is done with Vision Express.
    For a good understanding read the basic articles at http://www.digitalvideoclub.com

3. milanw

milanw Member

Thank you for the link, I will go through it.

Can't I transfer the video files from the DV cassette to the computer using USB 2.0? If firewire is the only option, I will have to buy the hardware and the cable. :(

Please let me know. Thanks.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

No, most camera's only use the USB to transfer stills (an possibly short movieclips) stored on a memory card.
    Some DV-camera's use it to transfer video in a "preview"-mode, meaning low quality.
    The way to go is Firewire. You can buy a card plus a cable for under $30 so it's a rather small investment, certainly if you realize that it enables you to transfer the video without any loss in quality to your PC.

There's a thread about buying a Firewire card at the site as well:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.25.html

5. dastott

dastott Member

Yeah, firewire is the way to go. To capture the video from DV cassette to PC I use DVIO (free software!). It does a great job and is very simple and light on CPU. I haven't used Nero for this so can't compare but try DVIO for yourself - it's a very small programmes so will download in seconds...