1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW DO I TURN MY VIDEO CAMERA HOME VIDEOS INTO DVDS?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by chahal4, Jun 11, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

CC's = closed captions. You may think you don't need them, but they are also used for commercial detection and removal. Without them, it's much more difficult.
    HWClear only removes the Hauppauge stuff from the registry.
    Also make sure you uninstall the "Intervideo SDK for Hauppauge"!

2. pezzer

pezzer Member

whoa,
    I just got the card working about 30mins ago, it only took me 2days!!
    I will try to capture some footage from my camcorder tomorrow and finally see what the quality is like. Hope it was worth it.

Thanks for ur help.

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Try a few TV captures in the inbetween.
    If the quality isn't what you expect, there's lots of tweaks you can use.

4. pezzer

pezzer Member

I have been capturing some footage through the tv and its quality is ok. But sometimes the sound crackles (like when you put the volume really load) Have you come across this problem before? I don't think its the reception as i have connected through my cable tv box.

Do you get pixles when your running in TV mode?

Thanks

5. rickmills

rickmills Guest

Regarding the original question - camcorder to DVD: Don't make it too complicated - you do not need a COMPUTER for this task at all! I have a Emerson EWR20V4 VHS/DVD recorder from Wal-Mart (about $250) which I use to dub VHS tapes to DVD. You can also connect a camcorder output to the recorder input. Away you go. There is an extensive forum on this machine on afterdawn at

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/105106

6. pezzer

pezzer Member

chahal4,

I have recently purchased the PVR 250 as recommended by rebootjim. I was going to get a canopus product but it was a little more expensive that the PVR. I may get that as my next one after I have learnt the basics.

I Basically wanted for the same reasons you suggested, and so far I'm happy with it, it captures in good quality which can be put onto dvd fairly easily. I'm using my Hi8 camcorder. Although I haven't created one yet, but the steps seem very simple.

What kind of PC do you currently have?

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Crackling sound is the result of the audio decoder. Try another. I'll bet you have at least 2 on your system.
    Pixellated picture on the TV is the result of too low a bitrate.
    Increase it.

8. pezzer

pezzer Member

Thanks for the reply,
    but where do i change the bitrate in the pvr? I have looked but i can't find it.

Also the I didn't know that you can change the audio decoder, is this done through device manager?

Thanks

9. chahal4

chahal4 Member

oh, the 250 is better? cuz i was thinkin of goin with this one;
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10057681&catid=

it was suggested earlier on, but was said that the 250 is better bcuzza CC's nd all that but for gettin ma home videos to dvds and perhaps watchin/recording sum tv on the computer how much better is the 250 and how much will it run me? Also, is it ez to use the given software or w/e to get the home videos to dvds or is it sum tweaking stuff. and what does it take my home video files as. like does it read them as sum extension and then convert that to sum burnable format for me to burn to dvd? sorry bout all the questions, but for some1 whu dusnt know all that much in the video area i wana get everythin straightened out before i go grab one.

and PC wise. im runnin a fairly new cpu with like 160GB harddrive, burners nd everything. i dunno the indepth specs like i guess i shud. but on the front of the tower, on the sticker it says i have NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics if that has any relevance.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Each to his own. As mentioned earlier, if this is a dedicated PVR, then the 250 is better. For casual watching/burning on the PC, the 150 is fine.
    The stock software is relatively easy to use, although limited. Tweaking is always recommended, to get the best quality, especially on a 150.
    The Hauppauge PVR cards capture your video, and encode it to mpeg-2. This mpg is DVD compliant, and only needs to be authored and burned.
    Video card has little relevance, but your system will probably work with either the 150 or 250.
    The 250 is a workhorse. It's been around much longer, tried and true. The 150 still has some issues, for some people, on some computers, with some software.
    They run (the 150) about $69-$85. The 250's are about $100-$130.

11. chahal4

chahal4 Member

arite, im goin with the 150. tweakin wise is that stuff ez to learn and what do i need to tweak for (ie. as mentioned, quality-anythin else) and how nd where do i put this into my cpu?

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

There is a tweak tool you can download from http://www.cask-of-amontillado.com that will change the settings you want, and save them for you. Restart the computer and run a few test captures. Change the settings as needed.

13. pezzer

pezzer Member

Do you know if I can remove the fuzzy line that appears at the bottom of a captured video because that ruins the capture. Besides that i'm really happy with the card.

Any ideas?

Thanks

14. chahal4

chahal4 Member

so how do i put this card into my cpu. I put it in the back right? and the outlets nd everything will be sticking out. But how do i get it in my cpu. I dun wana bugger up the computer. Will futureshop or radioshack do it? bout how much?

15. pezzer

pezzer Member

Have you ever opened you pc before? If you haven't then i recommend that you do have a look inside IF you feel confident. I usually disconnect all power to the PC first, although some people would disagree.
    You will need a spare PCI slot to put the card into. Just be careful with what you touch, remember to remove any static that your body or cloths may be carrying. The best to do this if you don't have a anti static band is to rub your hands over the case before you touch the parts. its like when you touch a TV you will get a tiny shock, u do not want that with your pc. Although this will rarely happen.
    Its a 5 min job.

16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

This appears because of the way a cable signal is transmitted. There's usually nothing you can do, other than ignore it.
    It doesn't show up on the TV anyhow (it's in the overscan area).